ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #76
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Cannister has caused poor running on other models if they were tipped over or overfilled with fuel so they certainly have caused problems in the past.

Yep, I'm thinking of the lc8. People had issues with stalling after pulling wheelies and the charcoal canister would get full of fuel.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #77
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
He also said you shouldn't be riding your bike in torrential downpours.
some adventurer he is
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #78
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,647
Cannister woes

Thought some 1150gs folks didn't like them or was that KLR folks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Yep, I'm thinking of the lc8. People had issues with stalling after pulling wheelies and the charcoal canister would get full of fuel.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #79
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Thought some 1150gs folks didn't like them or was that KLR folks?
I know not all KLR's had them. It was only the CA models, not sure about the new KLR though.

I don't know about the GS's either, but I distinctly remember the 950 Adventure bikes having the issue.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #80
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
This rain thing is getting ri-god-damn-diculous. This is torrential rain. This is the type of rain that the BMW FSE and I are talking about. And yes, you'd be stupid to ride in it. If you think you're more a man or "adventurer" because you ride in shit like this, you might need council.

Now, all the bullshit aside, if your bike is stalling in a light to moderate rain (much lighter than shown in this video), then that's a problem and it sucks. BMW needs to deal with that.





The Griz screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 07:56 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #81
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,870
The cannister (evap system) did indeed wreak havoc on the 950 engine. Stalling, hard starting and so on. Once it is removed, the bike ran like it was meant to. Most new bike owners remove that problematic tumor from thier engines. In fact, my BMW tech, on the cuff, told me to ditch it.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #82
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768


Did some more research and looked at my bike. I was a bit wrong about the hoses on the F800GS charcoal canister. The bottom (#6) is for draining/venting. It drops down by the skid plate. Any liquid in the canister should exit here. If it's not doing so, there might be a clog in the hose (from mud maybe). The top (#8-9-10) goes to the throttle body for the gases to get burned off. The right (#7) comes from the tank to retrieve gases. The only way for water to get in is from a hose disconnection on the top two connection points on the top of the canister. If you're getting water into the canister and it's somehow stalling out the bike, I'd check the connection of the hoses on top and that the bottom drain/vent hose isn't clogged.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 01:07 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #83
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,870
Cannister problems are usually fuel related.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #84
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Cannister problems are usually fuel related.
+1 agreed.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #85
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,094
[QUOTE=The Griz]This rain thing is getting ri-god-damn-diculous. This is torrential rain. This is the type of rain that the BMW FSE and I are talking about. And yes, you'd be stupid to ride in it. If you think you're more a man or "adventurer" because you ride in shit like this, you might need council. If your bike is stalling in shit like this, it's understandable. I wouldn't expect any bike to run like normal under the torrential downpour in this video. And if you think that a GS or any other bike should run well in these conditions, you're sadly mistaken.

Now, all the bullshit aside, if your bike is stalling in a light to moderate rain (much lighter than shown in this video), then that's a problem and it sucks. BMW needs to deal with that.



You have finally convinced me that you don't know what your talking about. I cross the country several times a year/often in very heavy rain...The bike does not know it's raining. As others have pointed out, your an 800 mile expert with a great capacity for coming up with....facts.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #86
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
This rain thing is getting ri-god-damn-diculous. This is torrential rain. This is the type of rain that the BMW FSE and I are talking about. And yes, you'd be stupid to ride in it. If you think you're more a man or "adventurer" because you ride in shit like this, you might need council.

Now, all the bullshit aside, if your bike is stalling in a light to moderate rain (much lighter than shown in this video), then that's a problem and it sucks. BMW needs to deal with that.



You have finally convinced me that you don't know what your talking about. I cross the country several times a year/often in very heavy rain...The bike does not know it's raining. As others have pointed out, your an 800 mile expert with a great capacity for coming up with....facts.
You obviously don't know anything about me then. You fail to realize that I've owned two KLR's previously, each heavily modified with over 6,000 miles on them in one year. And I've been riding off-road bikes virtually all my life. Just because I very recently bought an 800GS and only have 750 miles on it doesn't mean that's my only experience with motorcycles. I got the bike in the Winter and don't prefer to ride on ice. It only very recently became safe to ride here in Minnesota.

And again, I stand by what I said. If you think you're more of a man, Marty, for riding in torrential rain like the rain in the video above, then whatever. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel better or make your genitalia feel larger. That's your personal issue. But that doesn't mean that it's the smart thing to do, and that others should do the same just because you do!!


And BTW, the amount of miles you ride a bike doesn't necessarily equate to mechanical experience. The duration of ownership does, however. I've been dinking with internal combustion engines my whole life. It's hard to view and understand a bike mechanically when you're riding it! Mechanics don't do work on bikes and cars as they're riding them down the road! They spend time in a garage with shop manuals analyzing the workings of the machine as to better understand it. I've done exactly that with my F800GS ALL F#%KING WINTER!

The Griz screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 07:57 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #87
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool
 
DolphinJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Key West-Island of Misfit Toys
Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
This rain thing is getting ri-god-damn-diculous. This is torrential rain. This is the type of rain that the BMW FSE and I are talking about. And yes, you'd be stupid to ride in it. If you think you're more a man or "adventurer" because you ride in shit like this, you might need council. If your bike is stalling in shit like this, it's understandable. I wouldn't expect any bike to run like normal under the torrential downpour in this video. And if you think that a GS or any other bike should run well in these conditions, you're sadly mistaken.

Now, all the bullshit aside, if your bike is stalling in a light to moderate rain (much lighter than shown in this video), then that's a problem and it sucks. BMW needs to deal with that.

Not trying to stir shit up but that kind of rain is a daily occurrence down
here in the summer Not an exaggeration either, it rains hard.
Tropical downpours.
I ride in it all the time because it comes on you so fast you really have no choice, and it usually passes soon enough.
I have ridden in hard rain like that on my F800 with no issues, granted it was a short shower.

You yanks are just pussies up there. Just kidding.

It does rain very hard. Seriously. We ride in it. Bike should not stall.
__________________
_________________________________

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #88
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Not trying to stir shit up but that kind of rain is a daily occurrence down
here in the summer Not an exaggeration either, it rains hard.
Tropical downpours.
I ride in it all the time because it comes on you so fast you really have no choice, and it usually passes soon enough.
I have ridden in hard rain like that on my F800 with no issues, granted it was a short shower.

You yanks are just pussies up there. Just kidding.

It does rain very hard. Seriously. We ride in it. Bike should not stall.
I fully agree with you. I've been to Florida a number of times. Every day at 3-4pm it would rain/thunder storm super hard for a half hour or so. Then it would pass. I also agree that a bike should not stall in the rain. But when it's raining as hard as it was in that video, stalling doesn't surprise me. Especially given the fact that the engine is fully exposed on a motorcycle, unlike a car.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #89
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
...But when it's raining as hard as it was in that video, stalling doesn't surprise me. Especially given the fact that the engine is fully exposed on a motorcycle, unlike a car.
You're getting too caught up in you're proverbial downpour, and missing the point that it appears people are having this issue in normal rain storms.

But I disagree with your point that the motor is exposed so it will have problems in even heavy rains. It is designed to be exposed like that, and shouldn't have any issues.

This is starting to sound like the earlier stalling issue, when people were telling the ones with the problem that they needed to blip the throttle, or shift differently. The problem was the bike would stall between shifts. Even though you could alleviate it by blipping the throttle, it was still an issue because one shouldn't have to modify their riding habits to account for a stalling motor. You may not feel like people should ride in that sort of weather, but that doesn't change the fact that the bike should run fine in it.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #90
WoodWorks
House Ape
 
WoodWorks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ashland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 2,203
Seriously, Griz. I've ridden in that kind of downpour more times than I can count. No bike I was ever on stalled because of it. Hell, I did it in Viet Nam several times on a fucking Minsk for God's sake. It did fine too. You're beating a dead horse here. If you want to stay out of that kind of rain, hey, I don't blame you. But sometimes shit happens, and you have to keep going. Sometimes that's the SAFEST thing you can do in that situation. So, sorry, but you're not going to convince any of us that riding in that kind of weather is inherently unsafe. Unpleasant, sure. But not foolhardy. And it won't cause an otherwise good running motorcycle to stall, no matter what that FSE said.

David
__________________
David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014