Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
compaq1720 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KTM 990SMT vs Tiger 1050 ABS

People,

these 2 bikes weigh the same and have same power, but I expect them to be very different because of 2/3 cylinders.

Anybody tried them both?

I am a 6.2" rider, are these bikes good size for me do u think.

I will try them both and see what suits me better for road blasting/circuit but some europe road travel too.

What do u think of the ABS on the Tiger, how lifesaving is it.
What if I found a second hand without ABS, would it be wrong to buy it anyway?

Thanks!!!

d
compaq1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
The 990SMT isn't coming to north america.. Pity.. If it were, it would be on my short list.

ABS can save you under certain conditions, but also adds complexity and cost..

This thread will eventually be moved to Road Warriors.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
The MCN review of the KTM was gushing. They raved about it as a practical sports bike for the road. I don't remember the Tiger reviews being anything like as enthusiastic.
5th-Elefant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
longdog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
There is almost a 1500.00 price difference in the Tiger's favour here in the UK.

I rode a Tiger 1050 and almost traded my Uly for it. Yes, the Tiger really is that good!!!

By the way, I'm 6'2" and the Tiger gave a VERY comfortable ride with good wind protection. It also has lovely motor!

I guess you want to know the reason I didn't change my Uly? The Tiger just didn't have that visceral quality that the Uly has and if I didn't have my Uly, I'd certainly buy a Tiger, almost certainly without ABS.
longdog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant
The MCN review of the KTM was gushing. They raved about it as a practical sports bike for the road. I don't remember the Tiger reviews being anything like as enthusiastic.
Waiting for them to arive in Sa, Hopefully we will test one.

More feedback l8er ...
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
I test rode a Tiger when it first came out. I am 6ft and the ergos fitted me almost perfectly save the handlebar position which was a bit forward (easily fixable). The motor is simply fantastic and the ride is plush. I rode it for an hour through traffic but on open roads as well. I noticed a slight weave at hte front when charging on fast curves but it could be due to the tyres or maybe something w/ the suspension setup. To sum it up, a comfortable bike w/ character and some second thoughts regarding fast riding.
My KTM experience comes from a 950 Adv. 04 model and the engine that the 990SMT has is an evolution of that motor. The 950 was an excellent bike, I had it for a year. It had a raw feeling which I guess stays w/ the new models as well although a bit refined as I hear. The most amazing thing that the KTM had was that I felt safe when riding fast on the road or off it. Though my skills in dirt riding are limited the bike's setup inspired confidence. So I would expect top notch suspension, brakes, chassis and overall fell. Yes I would be more biased towards the orange company but then again you'll soon learn cause sometime next week I'll test ride the SMT and will be posting my impressions. If I had the money I would be torn between the two as well. The Tiger ( a white one please) is far cheaper and w/ the money that you save you could put an ohlins shock and fork springs and have some serious fun which definitely is the case w/ the katoom. So, ride them and decide
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Fredde_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by compaq1720
People,

these 2 bikes weigh the same and have same power, but I expect them to be very different because of 2/3 cylinders.

Anybody tried them both?

I am a 6.2" rider, are these bikes good size for me do u think.

I will try them both and see what suits me better for road blasting/circuit but some europe road travel too.

What do u think of the ABS on the Tiger, how lifesaving is it.
What if I found a second hand without ABS, would it be wrong to buy it anyway?

Thanks!!!

d

I'm also 6.2" and I have tried them both.

The 990 SMT is more aggresive, both regarding comfort, brakes (super strong) and engine. It's a sport bike with travel bags.

I didn't dare to test the Tiger ABS-system, but I think Triumph got some critics about slow ABS interaction. The Tiger is more soft and comfy.

//F
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
I think either is going to make you smile. The KTM looks sexier though
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
bunny_punia
18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer: 252
Is the KTM 990 SMT a good enough option for a 8 day, 1500km ride through Austrian and Italian Alps?
What kind of an average fuel economy am I looking at here? 15-16km to a liter?
bunny_punia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
tjader
OASR Davao

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_punia
Is the KTM 990 SMT a good enough option for a 8 day, 1500km ride through Austrian and Italian Alps?
What kind of an average fuel economy am I looking at here? 15-16km to a liter?
I have had the 2010 KTM SMT for 1000kms now and it does around 14+ km/Li

Its a super comfortable ride and I can go all day on it! No vibration and relaxed riding position.

I have equipped it with a GIVI E450 Top Case and E21 Panniers. I have gone 150kmh on it with no trouble, May try to go 200+ this weekend on the hi-way and will post how it goes.

They talk about helmet buffeting at speed and I am 5'10" and never really noticed it up to 150kph. Will give feedback if I go faster sometime in future.
tjader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjader
I have had the 2010 KTM SMT for 1000kms now and it does around 14+ km/Li

Its a super comfortable ride and I can go all day on it! No vibration and relaxed riding position.

I have equipped it with a GIVI E450 Top Case and E21 Panniers. I have gone 150kmh on it with no trouble, May try to go 200+ this weekend on the hi-way and will post how it goes.

They talk about helmet buffeting at speed and I am 5'10" and never really noticed it up to 150kph. Will give feedback if I go faster sometime in future.
175kph + gives you major buffeting. Im 6'5 though. I could not get it fast than 208kph two up.

I could get it way into fourth on the back wheel though! That thing loves wheelies!
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
longdog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog uk
There is almost a 1500.00 price difference in the Tiger's favour here in the UK.

I rode a Tiger 1050 and almost traded my Uly for it. Yes, the Tiger really is that good!!!

By the way, I'm 6'2" and the Tiger gave a VERY comfortable ride with good wind protection. It also has lovely motor!

I guess you want to know the reason I didn't change my Uly? The Tiger just didn't have that visceral quality that the Uly has and if I didn't have my Uly, I'd certainly buy a Tiger, almost certainly without ABS.
Update:

2 months after this posting, I eventually traded my beloved Uly for a Tiger 1050. Ten days after buying the Tiger, I went touring in France and did 2,500 miles in a week. It was really comfortable without any heat issues and I got 56.7 miles to the UK gallon after riding everything between gravel tracks to cruising at an indicated 110mph so I was impressed.

But........ in spite of it's wonderful motor, excellent comfort, faultless operation, outstanding economy, good handling and superb quality of finish, Tiger and I never really gelled together. I was always comparing it to my old Uly, (and the Uly certainly had some faults), and I resolved to sell the Tiger.

In March this year after 9 months of Tiger ownership and a lot of miles, I thought I would sell the Tiger and buy another Uly, one of the few 2010 models. Unfortunately, the HD dealer over here screwed about with my order and delivery dates and I told them to take a hike. 18 hours later, I was laying in the road after a collision with a van that wrote off the Tiger and almost did for me too. Today, 3 months after, I have just taken my first bike ride of about 90 miles on my ST1300A to see if my shoulder and foot would hold out, (it did! WooHoo!!!!), so I am now looking forward to getting back in the saddle on a regular basis.

The replacement for my Tiger? There are a few on my list to keep my ST1300A company such as a Honda Varadero, Suzuki WeeStrom, Kawasaki Versys, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp or even my old Uly, or I might just crack on with my SRX600 project, we'll see!

So although the Tiger 1050 is a superb bike, it just didn't suit me
longdog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Hey Long Dog - jphish here. Hate to hear of your Tiger clash with a Lorry (or is that Lorrie? anyway...) Glad you're ok and well enough to ride again. I know alot of fellow riders that went down in the last year - I thankfully skipped 09... since i wrecked my KLR on 08. Coincidence we both have / had St1300, Uly & Tigers. I've still got all 3. Dont ride the Honda much because I got the 06 Tiger this winter, and just finished a 2 month 13K mile trip on the Uly. she's an 08 with 28K mi now - a bit grimmy, road weary & in need of some service at the moment, but still running strong. Thought of selling the Uly when i bought the Tiger - but that visceral nature of the beast you mentioned kept me from dwelling on its faults & appreciating her nature. Very fun, capable, underrated machine, as you know. If Buell would have stayed in the game I was going to trade for an 2012 Uly - he would have had it 'dialed in' by then. They made significant improvements every year without all the fanfare. Anyway - much to be thankfull for as you're OK and have lots of rides to choose from. PS - visited my old friend Martin Yates from Cardiff (US citizen now, after 25 years got tired of dodging the border patrol) Now in Calif - he's still a football (Rugby?) maniac & finding pubs here that broadcast the games from across the pond can be a challenge. But he's very accomplished at finding pubs. Take care on whatever you end up riding. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote