User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:37 AM   #1
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Time for a new truck, 2015 Colorado?

My 2002 Dodge Ram isn't really leaving me with a lot of confidence in taking the family on longer camping trips anymore. I guess when the engine goes 2000 miles from home it does that to you. As bad as I hate to, maybe its time to spend a few (thousand) dollars. Can't seem to find a truck to suit me, biggest reason being transmission. I hate an auto in a truck and, if I can help it, will not buy one again, especially that they are putting like 9 speeds in there.....doesn't leave me feeling confident at all. Limits my choices....a lot.... to either a smaller truck like the Tocama or 3/4 ton. Really don't want to spend the extra money, fuel, or get the wagon ride with a 3/4, so it looks like midsized, and thats fine since most of the time now its just 3 of us.

I only need to be able to tow a 3000 lb boat short distances or a 2500 lb pop up longer distances. Looks like I have 3 choices, Tocoma, Nissan Frontier, or the soon to be out Chevy Colorado. I like Toyota fine, but I can't believe how thirsty that truck is. Pretty much the same for the Nissan I think. My neighbor just bought a Toy and said he was only getting 13 mpg all around (v6 quad). Thats the same I get in my full sized Ram (v8 quad). I don't really think the Nissan is supposed to do any better, and for no real reason I have never been a huge fan. Numbers aren't up yet for the Colorado, but I am thinking it better be hitting 20 mpg even in city this day and time (full size trucks are doing it). There is also a diesel option down the pike somewhere for the Chevy, not that I want to be an earlier adopter of an unproven Chevy diesel.

So what are your thoughts on the matter? I am in no huge hurry, and I don't have to buy new but seems like trucks, especially Toys, cost more used than new. SUV isn't out of the question either, but doesn't seem to be anything out there fit the requirements (manual, tow ~3500 lbs, real 4x4 with transfer case, and decent mpg). Hilux deisel.....why oh why won't you come to the USA?
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #2
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,588
Have you noticed that GM has recalled everything they've built in the last five years?

Personal friend with the new hot rod, 580 horse Camaro..been to shop three times for major repairs, last was complete steering system replacement..power steering went out...car will be eight weeks old this month...they're dumping it..$50,000 + car..taking $20k loss to wash their hands of it...
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,857
I'd keep the dodge until someone puts some miles on the new GM. Fords coming with a new F150...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #4
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,095
New Ram Ecodiesel... 23mpg mixed use driving... claims of 28 freeway driving!
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #5
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
New Ram Ecodiesel... 23mpg mixed use driving... claims of 28 freeway driving!
That does look nice.

But beware of new engine designs using an iron block and aluminum heads. Unless they "nail it" in the design, many new engines with iron blocks and alum heads have teething problems with head warpage.

I'm not saying this engine WILL do that, but head warping on new iron block/alum head designs is common.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #6
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
New Ram Diesel doesn't fit the OP's requirements of a manual transmission. A quick browse through their website shows that you can't get a manual in any half ton. You have to go to a 3/4.

The Colorado Diesel doesn't appear to offer a manual either, only tranny listed is a 6 speed auto.

The OP has a good wish list going, but I'm afraid it's just that....A wish. There are no more high MPG, manual transmission pickups around.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Have you noticed that GM has recalled everything they've built in the last five years?

Personal friend with the new hot rod, 580 horse Camaro..been to shop three times for major repairs, last was complete steering system replacement..power steering went out...car will be eight weeks old this month...they're dumping it..$50,000 + car..taking $20k loss to wash their hands of it...
Seriously? I'll take it! $30k for a ZL1!

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #8
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Im a little afraid of a brand new Chevy model for sure, and as someone else stated none of the 'Merican 1/2 ton trucks come with a manual. These 8 & 9 speed autos leave me with a nervous twitch, especially since I (along with every other owner) had a 6 speed Dodge trans go out on my 08 Grand Caravan under 100k. They're just putting too many gears in there to be reliable, IMO
Old Today, 04:05 PM   #9
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just realized the Nissan only comes in manual with 2WD.
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #10
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

.....and just found out on the Colorado that manual is not available on the crew cab. Oh well, looks like Toyota or live with an automatic. Uggggg.
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #11
BioStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Nissan Xterra?

I just purchased a new to me 2012 Xterra Pro-4X with 6 speed that would fill your requirements. My mileage, a mix of country road, interstate and in town driving has been 18-19 mpg. Took a 1000 mile road trip last month and was shocked at how comfortable and composed it was on the interstate. Towing capacity is 5000 lbs I believe and there is no shortage of power.
BioStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 PM   #12
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Seriously? I'll take it! $30k for a ZL1!
No shit. Post it up.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:04 PM   #13
jones68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Although the Colorado looks nice, I would never buy the first year of a completely redesigned vehicle and give it a few years for the kinks to get worked out. Personally, I've owned a 2008 Nissan Frontier, 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4, and presently own a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab. I bought all these vehicles new because used ones were only a couple thousand less and sometimes more than buying new. Yes, Tacoma's cost more but they also hold their value like no other. (I drove the 12' for two years and only lost $4k on trade-in). As far as gas mileage goes, yes, it sucks, I average about 19 MPG over daily commuting of about 20 miles, a little better if it's all highway, but hey, it's a truck and the design is proven to be bulletproof. I love this truck and will probably run it into the ground.
Old Today, 06:15 PM   #14
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
Although the Colorado looks nice, I would never buy the first year of a completely redesigned vehicle and give it a few years for the kinks to get worked out. Personally, I've owned a 2008 Nissan Frontier, 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4, and presently own a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab. I bought all these vehicles new because used ones were only a couple thousand less and sometimes more than buying new. Yes, Tacoma's cost more but they also hold their value like no other. (I drove the 12' for two years and only lost $4k on trade-in). As far as gas mileage goes, yes, it sucks, I average about 19 MPG over daily commuting of about 20 miles, a little better if it's all highway, but hey, it's a truck and the design is proven to be bulletproof. I love this truck and will probably run it into the ground.
I agree with all your points, one of the reasons I was thinking Toyota. Can a small kid ride in the back of the access cab? The seats look so straight up. I don't really like the 4 full size doors on a small truck
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #15
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioStrom View Post
I just purchased a new to me 2012 Xterra Pro-4X with 6 speed that would fill your requirements. My mileage, a mix of country road, interstate and in town driving has been 18-19 mpg. Took a 1000 mile road trip last month and was shocked at how comfortable and composed it was on the interstate. Towing capacity is 5000 lbs I believe and there is no shortage of power.
I thought the Xterra wasn't available in manual with 4x4? I would consider it for sure.
Edit- They do list the Xterra as being available in a manual, but a search for 500 miles didn't reveal a single one!

The Cyclops screwed with this post Today at 06:29 PM
The Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: