RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW
Ok, tried acro mode...
It's no better.
It won't even hover now.
One thing, from the get go, the throttle is ultra sensitive from idle.
Once it gets a couple clicks above idle, it seems to ease up a bit.
I rechecked the trim, with it light on the skids.
Once it starts off in a direction, it does nothing but haul ass in the corrected direction, when I feed it some corrective stick input.
It's unnatural. I think the gyro/ 5n1 is bad.
I'm going to holler at horizon in the morning and see if they can do something to help.
You might be right about the 5in1 being bad. Mine is pretty docile until I ham fist it and then she get lively!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #437
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear
Looking for advice on a good beginner R/C helicopter. I have always loved flying and am fasinated by planes and heli's. So i was thinking of getting a small indoor heli to mess with. I want soemthing thats not brain dead easy to fly but somthing a begginer can still learn with.

I am not new to R/C's although the last real one i had is gone now. I used to have and even raced a bit a nitro r/c truck but i stopped after a few years. Had a blast with that truck tinkering and modding all the time. Even managed a win at the track once. I had that thing up till a few months ago when running it at work a hole appeard in the side of the engine block lol/
I would say it depends on where you want to go with the hobby. Do you want to move up in heli's, do 3D stuff, fly gas...

I will say that flying a coax is SO easy it teaches you very little about flying a real heli...execpt for your basic orientation. Most people can be flying a coax out of the box in a few hours...but your stuck there....nothing wrong with that if that is where you want to be.

If you start out with a cheap fixed pitch it will take you quite a while to master it....but after you can fly a fixed pitch you can fly a CP no problems.

Been down that road, I think that all the coax helis are just toys, I got tired of it quickly, the FP took me months to get to where I was flying the coax. And then the jump to CP was nothing.

Check out xheli.com for some good stuff in all the areas.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #438
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I would say it depends on where you want to go with the hobby. Do you want to move up in heli's, do 3D stuff, fly gas...

I will say that flying a coax is SO easy it teaches you very little about flying a real heli...execpt for your basic orientation. Most people can be flying a coax out of the box in a few hours...but your stuck there....nothing wrong with that if that is where you want to be.

If you start out with a cheap fixed pitch it will take you quite a while to master it....but after you can fly a fixed pitch you can fly a CP no problems.

Been down that road, I think that all the coax helis are just toys, I got tired of it quickly, the FP took me months to get to where I was flying the coax. And then the jump to CP was nothing.

Check out xheli.com for some good stuff in all the areas.

Good to know just picked up a Blade MSR. The coax stuff just did not seam very interesting was just too easy. This thing looks like it be a hoot. Gona wait till tommorow to try flying it gonna read upon triming it and such first. If i really get into this maybe 3d or gas is in my future gotta see how i manage this first LOL.

TinyBear screwed with this post 12-01-2010 at 10:08 AM
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #439
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Wow first flight with the new MSR. Thing is friggen cool but DAMN its much harder than i expected. My biggest struggle is how responsive this thing is gotta be real easy on those controls.

Out of the box i had to adjust the forward backward swash plate linkage to get it trimmed so it stop flying backwards right away.

Did get a good hover for a bit after ALOT of trimming. Spent both batteries trying to get it all set up. But this is a lot of fun (and man a lot more exercise than i though kept tipping it over LOL). Once i get better i look forward to setting up my bar stools and such for landing practice but right now i just gotta worry bout getting it flying much smoother.

Also wanna go buy 2 more batteries so i can have four on charge so i can get more practice in.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #440
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
The blade Sr is out for delivery.
~rubs hands together like a kid about to dig into a chocolate cake~
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #441
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Now this thing is fun to fly!
Haven't flown a full function bird in a while, but I CAN hover this one!

Now for Horizon hobby, and my issue with the mSR, 2 different attempts to get product support, have failed...
1st day, on hold for 20 min, before I had to get off the phone...
Second day, waited for an hour on-hold, then when I hit 1 to request a callback, it hangs up...
I'm not happy with them, right now...
Bout to try one more time...
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #442
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

There are realy two groups in the hobby bus. Tower, and Horizon. And they are like two 12yr olds on the playground getting ready to fight.

Some products you just can't find at one or the other, Parkzone for example.

It is pretty silly. But there are some great planes and heli's out there that you can't get at the big sites...or most of your LHS...as most of them deal with one or the other.

nitroplanes.com is another great site, as is Hobby-lobby.com Both have some great things you will not find anywhere else.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #443
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Hobby Town USA is fairly good for a smattering of things, as well.
They don't have everything, but they have some impromptu things I need once in a while.
We have one here in our town, now.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #444
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Now this thing is fun to fly!
Haven't flown a full function bird in a while, but I CAN hover this one!

Now for Horizon hobby, and my issue with the mSR, 2 different attempts to get product support, have failed...
1st day, on hold for 20 min, before I had to get off the phone...
Second day, waited for an hour on-hold, then when I hit 1 to request a callback, it hangs up...
I'm not happy with them, right now...
Bout to try one more time...
I have had to use their Customer Support on two occasions. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had no problems other than a bit of wait time.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #445
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

20 more minutes no answer again,...
trying again now...
This is ridiculous...
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #446
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
There are realy two groups in the hobby bus. Tower, and Horizon. And they are like two 12yr olds on the playground getting ready to fight.

Some products you just can't find at one or the other, Parkzone for example.

It is pretty silly. But there are some great planes and heli's out there that you can't get at the big sites...or most of your LHS...as most of them deal with one or the other.

nitroplanes.com is another great site, as is Hobby-lobby.com Both have some great things you will not find anywhere else.
Keep in mind that you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go to your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) first! The web is cool and fun, but we need to give our buisness to the LHS when ever we can. Case in point, this issue with a possible bad 5in1 on the MSR. A reputable LHS would most likely open up a new one, verify if flys properly and swap yours out. An LHS can also provide "hands on" help when you have issues. I am not saying "do not use the net", but if teh cost at the LHS is close to the cost from the web - include the shipping charges! - then go with the LHS.

I pretty much only use the web for batteries and things my LHS does not carry or cannot get. I also tell LHS owners how much I agree when I see a sign in the shop that says; "bought it on the web? Take it there for support!". We also have one shop that keeps track of customers and has different labor rates for items not purchased there.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #447
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

I've used Horizon support in the past, due to problems I had with my DX7 radio, and they bent over backwards, and went above and beyond, to fix me up.
They flashed my radio's software to the latest code, as well as all my receivers, all for no expense, except for shipping to them.
I can't complain about how they treated me, but this hold time, is ridiculous...
Then the option to call me back fails...
waiting on hold again........
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #448
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

On another note, while I wait ~sigh~... lol

Has anyone checked this one out?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=MPU263001

I saw one at my LHS, and it looked pretty sharp...
Talked about some decent durability, too.
Little more than I wanted to spend, right now, though.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #449
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Keep in mind that you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go to your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) first! The web is cool and fun, but we need to give our buisness to the LHS when ever we can. Case in point, this issue with a possible bad 5in1 on the MSR. A reputable LHS would most likely open up a new one, verify if flys properly and swap yours out. An LHS can also provide "hands on" help when you have issues. I am not saying "do not use the net", but if teh cost at the LHS is close to the cost from the web - include the shipping charges! - then go with the LHS.

I pretty much only use the web for batteries and things my LHS does not carry or cannot get. I also tell LHS owners how much I agree when I see a sign in the shop that says; "bought it on the web? Take it there for support!". We also have one shop that keeps track of customers and has different labor rates for items not purchased there.
I agree with you....but there are some things my local shop just can't get. I waited 3 months to get the V-tail kit for my bonanza just to give them my business. On products like Alfa, Airfield, FMS and the like they just can't get...they told me so. My Parkzone, Hanger 9.....all come from them.
My slot car stuff all comes from them as well.

As far as batts and speedo's go you just can't beat the web. HobbyKing is soo good for that kind of stuff....I would not have half the gear if I was spening $100 for a $15 motor. I have had real good luck with their stuff.

On my last e-flight plane (spad) I used their servos...so far so good, not a heavy fast plane but it no funny noises at all. Might try some of their servos in a larger project.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #450
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Picked up a MCX today for my sister to mess with (she could not manage the MSR i just got).

Both of em are fun but the MSR is just a hoot. its o much more responsive and FAST.

Took em both into work today to mess around in the shop (three truck bays with 40' ceilings) and man even in that much room the MSR felt lighting quick but i learned to make sure ya turn off the exhuast fans first LOL (the msr did ok even with the fans but the mcx just got manhandled).

The MCX is deffinetly stupid easy to fly but i must admit i did have a hoot landing on smaller and smaller targets were as the MSr i still have troubles landing on my tool box and my tool box is 6'1"- 4' lol. But i getting there.

And oh yeah i deffinetly agree we should support local shops when we can both my blades (and the extra batteries) came from the local shop. There is few of them left nowadays. There were TONS around when i was into the nitro trucks racing.

These helis though are amazingly fun though more so than the trucks ever were.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: