User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1081
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,455
Is it possible to set up a camera with a live link, such that you could fly it from a plane's eye view? I realize that radio range is still the limiting factor, but it would be neat to pilot the plane from the "cockpit."

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1082
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Not sure if the video was taken with but it is the kind of plane you linked to. I know there is a guy that has a gopro mounted on a plane very much like this...but I also know you can get key fob HD cams now and I would bet that is what he was using.

Video is a lot of fun.....if we did not have 30+mph winds today I would be out flying.
Judging by the URL at the end (.de) and the language, Germany or there bouts.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #1083
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
Is it possible to set up a camera with a live link, such that you could fly it from a plane's eye view? I realize that radio range is still the limiting factor, but it would be neat to pilot the plane from the "cockpit."

Yeah. Haven't done it myself, but there are a number of "point of view" videos on YouTube.
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1084
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I understood about 5% of that , the joys of learning a new language / hobby!

My dumb question for today: I'm currently flying (I use that term loosely) a basic flybar 4 channel heli which has a couple of servos and a speed controller / mixer for the tail rotor, all very simple and understandable. Looking at 6 channel helis, I keep seeing mention of gyros and head locking gyros, what are they and why are they needed? I thought the idea was to fly the helicopter, not let a computer do it for you?

I may well be completely misunderstanding this, in which case feel free to enlighten me.
I can't recommend the mcpx enough. Do a search on mcpx in Youtube to see how capable this little guy is. If you do a few durability mods and upgrade broken parts with upgraded parts, you will end up with a very durable heli that will grow with you for a low cost. Being a collective pitch, ccpm and flybarless, the mechanics are closer to a full scale heli and are much simpler. The magic of making it all work is done in the mixer board.

I also wanted the 450 sized birds but with the fun I'm having, I decided the cost, complexity and running costs weren't worth it for me..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 07:51 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #1085
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Go for it! Do you have a simulator?

Nope, no simulator. Guess I should check into one.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #1086
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
The plane is a Graupner Rookie.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #1087
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
You can go down a very deep rabbit hole with that side to the hobby. VHF radios and people will fly for miles. Google FPV (first person view) and you should get a few hits...they call it by a few different names, but this one seems to be getting the most traction at the moment.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #1088
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
This thread cost me $600!!

Thanks again to all for their input. I got a Traxxas 4wd brushless Stadium truck, two Lipo batteries and a double charger. A little more than I wanted to spend but it is a ready to run setup.

They had a Losi 1/5 buggy at the hobby shop and it was huge!! Glad I didn't go that route.

I only drove it for a few minutes last night as it is snowing here but it really rips.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #1089
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp View Post
Thanks again to all for their input. I got a Traxxas 4wd brushless Stadium truck, two Lipo batteries and a double charger. A little more than I wanted to spend but it is a ready to run setup.

They had a Losi 1/5 buggy at the hobby shop and it was huge!! Glad I didn't go that route.

I only drove it for a few minutes last night as it is snowing here but it really rips.
I think that Traxxas does give you the best/most bang for your buck. Not 100% sure on your truck but I think that your speed controller (ESC) is water proof...makes playing in the snow much more fun. I still have the original slash, and still play with it quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #1090
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,343
If only it were that easy. The latest FAA rules updated would have just about destroyed our hobby with onerous limitation. People flying where they should not and FPV systems were a couple of the big factors. Thankffully the AMA spent countless hours battleing them and got them to see a bit of reason.

FPV (First Pilot View) camera systems were also a big issue. Driven primarily by the idiots who were flyign them around cities and then postin gto youtube.

If we do not police ourselves, the government will do it for us just like they do in the mororcycle world. Case inpoint teh law that passed last year in CA. Effective with teh 2013 model year, it is flat out illegial to change our your exhaust sytem unless.it is federally compliant. At the moment there are only one or two aftermarket systems that meet the criteria and they are for Harleys.

We, RC modelers, are a small community do not think for an instant that the general public cannot raise enough commotion to destroy our hobby. Think about where you are flying before you launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Some fliers think flying over people/structures/public places puts the activity in a bad light. A lot of us have been paranoid after the FBI sold some used planes to that wannabe terrorist last year.

My view is there was very little risk in the video. The plane is a lightweight, slow flying foamie with the kinetic energy of a large bee. Move along people.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #1091
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

No love here for the ama and the stodgy old farts (and I am an old fart) that are in the club that will not change with the times....I have been down that road more then one time and the ama can go f-themself. Personally I think they do more harm then good.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #1092
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,343
Light upgrade

click pic for video
Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #1093
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

This bad boy just showed up...plane not person...it is going to be my first big foamy....they seem to be popular just was never sure about a foam plane being this big....all my big planes are glow convertions.

Anyway...here is one of the original terror weapons

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #1094
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
How much for the Girl?
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1095
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 457
After a dozen or so flights, plus a couple of unscheduled landings, I think I'm getting the trike sorted out. It's very stable, I think it will make a good aerial photo platform. Even chased the cat around a little bit.

I had a little surprise for Junior when he came over the other day. He's an R/C nut too, and he knew I was building that thing. What he didn't know was that I built TWO.

He came in the garage to see it, only to see two of them sitting on my workbench. "What the heck??? Why did you build two??"

I said, "One for me and one for you. Did I not mention that?"

I think he nearly shat himself. It was awesome.

And here he is enjoying a test flight.

Next up, the camera gets mounted on board and I find someplace more interesting to fly.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: