User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #1126
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
My sky raider went down as well...but I think it was pilot error. I had read that these little planes like to fly fast and they do. I went to turn base and I think I got a tip stall and it just dropped a wing and dove straight for the earth. Snapped wing, broken fuse, busted prop. Nice thing is with a little epoxy it is ready to go again and does not look worse for the hard contact.

Little plane does look good in the air, but you have to keep its speed up....at the time of the crash I had about 3-4 flights on it.

The little P39 is just the biggest pussy cat in the air....well it is very small as well, and very light. In the slightest of wind it really moves around quite a bit....it will fly but it just is not pretty. Now on those nice calm mornings or nights it is just fantastic looking. Nice flying model that I was a little worried about, Alfa still uses beer cooler foam and I was a worried how it would hold up to all the belly landings. Very well, the tall grass is knocking the paint off the leading edges of the wings, but other then that it is great....and gives it a little more of that weathered war time look. Only other bad thing I can say is I am not a fan of water slide decals....they stick to your fingers.

I have actually not finished the Stuka yet...still on the table, Had to get some extentions and stuff and take the plane all back apart to re locate some things....but if the weather here is crappy and I get tomorrow off I may finish it up.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #1127
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Flown six times (two land, four water), crashed once in water. Fixed up and ready to go except for a servo that got wet. Should have her up and running again by this weekend.
Very cool. Not having a boat, I would worry about crashing in the water and it being a bitch to retrieve. About like a tree I guess.

I'm sure strapping some pontoons on a cub would be a fun thing to do though. Might be a lot trickier than yours to land right though. I still remember an old balsa/tissue pontoon plane I built in the dark ages didn't last so long after trying my first water landing.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #1128
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Very cool. Not having a boat, I would worry about crashing in the water and it being a bitch to retrieve. About like a tree I guess.

I'm sure strapping some pontoons on a cub would be a fun thing to do though. Might be a lot trickier than yours to land right though. I still remember an old balsa/tissue pontoon plane I built in the dark ages didn't last so long after trying my first water landing.
The pond is about an acre so the plane is never too far from shore. E-Flite is coming out with a micro Carbon Cub. 2S brushles, optional floats.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU1180
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #1129
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Carbon cubs are so cool. I was reading an article about the real one in Plane & Pilot a couple weeks ago.

I really wish that this model was bigger, say 1600mm like my last one. Needless to say, I am in the market for another plane. I really liked the way the cub flew. They are out of the one I had, so I am looking at a regular cub or the L-4 Grasshopper.

Only difference other than cosmetics is the flaps on the L-4. The fuselage is the same as my Clipped Wing model, but with 230mm wider wingspan.

I am also seriously considering this Mustang. It looks like the motor from my cub would probably power it just fine.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #1130
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Carbon cubs are so cool. I was reading an article about the real one in Plane & Pilot a couple weeks ago.

I really wish that this model was bigger, say 1600mm like my last one. Needless to say, I am in the market for another plane. I really liked the way the cub flew. They are out of the one I had, so I am looking at a regular cub or the L-4 Grasshopper.

Only difference other than cosmetics is the flaps on the L-4. The fuselage is the same as my Clipped Wing model, but with 230mm wider wingspan.

I am also seriously considering this Mustang. It looks like the motor from my cub would probably power it just fine.
Ooo, I like the construction of those. Are they as nice as they look?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #1131
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Are they as nice as they look?
YES! I really liked landing mine. It handled the wind fairly nice as well. The only problem I had, was that I would come in a bit too slow, and stall right before touch down causing the plane to come down a bit hard on the gear and getting a couple bounces out of it.

The clipped wing one I bought was on a whim since it was only $50. I bought the plane, and was very impressed with what it was. There are a couple of things that need to be fixed. I had the landing gear from the E-flite Super Cub on mine. The stock landing gear is terrible. There were a couple guys on RCgroups reporting that their landing gear collapsed during taxi. There was a video I saw of one plane landing and the gear really flexed, I think the prop might've struck the ground. Tail wheel also needs to be replaced, but other than those few things, the plane is awesome. I might get the scale tailwheel from the e-flite super cub on my next one. Some also complained of receiving warped vertical stabilizers. Mine was fine.

Only problem I had with mine, was the changing the battery was a PITA with the wings on. I would put the first battery of the day in before I put the wings on. I guess if I had a stand or something it would be easier to do with the wings on.

It was also fairly inexpensive to build. Here is what I had in mine:
Motor

ESC

Servo X4

I used an APC 13x6.5 prop on a 3 cell 4400mAH battery. It flew pretty scale, maybe a little faster than scale. Take off was nice and semi-scale. I used the Turnigy light wood electric prop that they recommended for the plane, and is seen in my pictures and it was too heavy. I think my RPM was down around 6500 or 7000 rpm. The plane barely flew with that setup. I flew a 13x4, and it flew but sluggish. The APC 13x6.5 was just right. I opened the cowl where the prop shaft came out to help cool the motor, and it worked just fine.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #1132
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,488
Did up a couple bodies for my 2wd and 4wd Stampedes.

2wd

4wd
Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #1133
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
So, I've got a serious jonesing for a Mini E-revo VXL... Any reason I shouldn't get one? I've really been missing R/C cars...
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #1134
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams View Post
So, I've got a serious jonesing for a Mini E-revo VXL... Any reason I shouldn't get one? I've really been missing R/C cars...

Depends, I have one and while it is a blast to play with (with the right batteries) I find the 1/10 scale rigs to better all around. The 1/16 trucks need smoother / lower cut grass areas and are a real hand full when jumping as they react a lot quicker to inputs when airborne. I find my MERV to be quite hard to land properly off anything but a very well groomed jump face.

If you can cover the extra $100, my suggestion would be the Stampede 4x4. You 95% of the E-Maxx's 4wd, go over anything, ability with far less complexity and you only need one battery at a time.

If the 4x4 Stampede is out of your budget range, the 2wd Stampede VXL is probably the best 2wd basher ever made and is only a bit $$ more than a MERV.

What do you have for charger / batteries? I convert all the batteries to Traxxas Plugs.

I run these in my MERV - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16680
It is a rocket with them. On demand wheelies at 3/4 throttle! You do have to trim the front of the battery door though.

For the 1/10 trucks I run these - http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #1135
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Ordered 2 of these this evening - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24195

Will report back on how well they work.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #1136
nadams
Studly Adventurer

02TAC- Thanks for the info. I'm mostly looking to do some sidewalk/alleyway bashing, so the low clearance of the MERV should be okay. My brother and his buddy have Mini-T's that they bash with when we're camping, so that's why I was leaning towards the MERV.

I'm starting over from scratch in terms of gear. I don't have any batteries or chargers. Even when I was running before, it was all nitro, so I just had a few cheap sticks for servo use.

I didn't know they had a 4x4 Stampede...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #1137
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
02TAC- Thanks for the info. I'm mostly looking to do some sidewalk/alleyway bashing, so the low clearance of the MERV should be okay. My brother and his buddy have Mini-T's that they bash with when we're camping, so that's why I was leaning towards the MERV.

I'm starting over from scratch in terms of gear. I don't have any batteries or chargers. Even when I was running before, it was all nitro, so I just had a few cheap sticks for servo use.

I didn't know they had a 4x4 Stampede...

The MERV will run circles around the Mini T's. I had a Losi Mini LST some time back and the MERV is worlds better and far more durable. If you get one, I would suggest adding the second steering servo as with just one, the steering tends to wander a bit on center.

I use this charger - http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arger-ORI30126 - but it is DC only. Then again, if you are camping an AC/DC unit would not help anyway.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #1138
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
The MERV will run circles around the Mini T's. I had a Losi Mini LST some time back and the MERV is worlds better and far more durable. If you get one, I would suggest adding the second steering servo as with just one, the steering tends to wander a bit on center.

I use this charger - http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arger-ORI30126 - but it is DC only. Then again, if you are camping an AC/DC unit would not help anyway.
I guess we don't really go camping... it's "camping". All sites have power, water, and cable.

A friend of mine had a 2wd Nitro Stampede years ago... I remember that compared to my T-Maxx, it seemed more "unrefined". That was back with the T-Maxxes and Stampedes still came with the old .15 engine.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1139
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Quote:
I guess we don't really go camping... it's "camping". All sites have power, water, and cable.

A friend of mine had a 2wd Nitro Stampede years ago... I remember that compared to my T-Maxx, it seemed more "unrefined". That was back with the T-Maxxes and Stampedes still came with the old .15 engine.
With today's advancements in lipo batteries and brushless motors, it is the nitro trucks that leave a lot to be desired. No tuning as the weather changes, no nitro residue to clean, no after run oil, no engine rebuilds and for those of us that live near other; no noise.

With the availability of low cost lipos, you can easily have enough batteries to run all day.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #1140
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I just picked up a Traxxas Slash 4x4 and I love it. Been dicking with RC on and off since I was a kid and have a Wheely King/Crawler king.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: