User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #1186
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
4x4 Short Course racing at my local track, I run the orange silver and black truck and my girlfriend's truck is the all blue one (she was called in to work but had a substitute driver since it was a points race)

bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #1187
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Nice video... reminds me of how much I hate to turn marshal. To the guys racing, you can never get to that truck fast enough... At least with electric classes, there's no risk of them getting fuel starved and shutting off...
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #1188
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,113
Video did bring back memories....I told the wife last night if I do end up going in for surgery I think I will race RC again while I heal up.....she was fine with it....best part is I won't have to marshal :)
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #1189
nadams
Studly Adventurer

After running the MERV for a little bit the other night, my brother bought a roller from eBay so we can run together .

Ran it last night down to the ESC cutout... got a good 30 minutes out of the dual LiPo's that 02TAC included. Not bad... This is my 2nd time charging them, and I ran a balance charge again (the first charge there was a cell that was a bit lower than the other in one of the packs). They held their balance pretty well through this discharge, so I think I'll be doing an unbalanced charge next time.

These packs supposedly have a 5c charge rate (they're 2200mah packs), but this last time I didn't go higher than 3amps. My charger will only do 5amps max, so I think the next time I'll hook them both up with the parallel adaptor and do an unbalanced charge at 5amps.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #1190
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,333
Glad you are enjoying it as much as I did. I usually charged them at 2.2 (1C). I could usually get close 20 minutes per pack. I never ran them together. Then again I was running just on dirt, if you run pavement the run time will be less do to the higher loads from the better traction.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #1191
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Glad you are enjoying it as much as I did. I usually charged them at 2.2 (1C). I could usually get close 20 minutes per pack. I never ran them together. Then again I was running just on dirt, if you run pavement the run time will be less do to the higher loads from the better traction.
I'm running it on smooth pavement, and it's pretty much all full throttle/full brake standing starts. Not good for it, I know... but I'm having fun

I think that running both packs parallel helps settle the truck down a little with the extra weight. My new shocks/springs/oil will be here Monday, so I'm excited to see how that will help.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #1192
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
4x4 Short Course racing at my local track, I run the orange silver and black truck and my girlfriend's truck is the all blue one (she was called in to work but had a substitute driver since it was a points race)

Holy cow! Is there a water shortage going on there or what?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #1193
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
Well I hit the two local hobby shops and lets just say I was less than impressed. I told the sales rep that I was looking for a brushless system for my old RC10 including batteries and charger for under 250....Deer in headlights....waiting...."Ummmm have you seen the new Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate?"

Sigh....yup that is well over my budget for something I'm not totally sure I want to get back into yet.

Second shop was only Traxxas and HPI....everything else was crap.

So off to the internet I go.....
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #1194
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Well I hit the two local hobby shops and lets just say I was less than impressed. I told the sales rep that I was looking for a brushless system for my old RC10 including batteries and charger for under 250....Deer in headlights....waiting...."Ummmm have you seen the new Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate?"

Sigh....yup that is well over my budget for something I'm not totally sure I want to get back into yet.

Pretty much the same thing I see at my local hobby shops. They have the overly expensive, low-tech cox RC planes and that's it. Sometimes I can go there and pick up some hardware bits and pieces I need, but for the most part, they never have what I need/want.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #1195
nadams
Studly Adventurer

At least you have a LHS... Mine is around 30 minutes away, and only open from 10-5 Tuesday - Saturday. My Saturdays are usually full until the afternoon, so I pretty much can never get there.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1196
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,403
Anyone here intersted in a Traxxas Slash 4X4 , batteries , charger and spare parts . The closest LHS is two hours away , and bashing isn't really my thing since noone around is into R/C .
Shoot me a PM and I will give you a list of everything and we can work something out . I hate to see this sit around and collect dust.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #1197
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Go to rc10talk.com......they can get you fixed right up. You should beable to pick up something from Hobby King and still have money left over in your budget.

I try very hard to support the LHS but it is very hard to do. Anymore I will just order from HK and wait. If it is something that the LHS carries (like the up coming parkzone albatros) I will buy from them, but for 99% of the stuff, they are just too expensive. For example I have a FMS He123 I am building right now and it is a VERY nice plane for about $130, I looked at the PZ Spitfire and it was close to 300....no thank you. I have seen the Durafly Corsair and it blows away my PZ corsair. All that said PZ planes just fly right out of the box with no bad trates, but I think they are getting just too expensive.....other guys are making great stuff, Durafly, FMS...and even smaller guys like windrider....all great planes that just blow a PZ out of the water....but I have drifted.

If you hop over to that site I suggested and do a quick search you will find your answer....and if you sitll have questions or if that thread is dated ask your questions. Crazy the prices the LHS is getting for stuff....I personally think there is a change coming, with the costs going down and the quality going WAY up on the chinese hobby equipment I think the LHS are going to be changing....no longer will they be a Horizon only type shop.

Just crazy.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #1198
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Currently out of stock, but worth considering - http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-sc-a.html
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #1199
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I also wanted to toss in there....you may want to pickup some good lipo batteries and just run them in your old brushed setup.....just be mindfull of the runtimes....no cut off.

I was hanging with modern buggies with a old brushed motor...I had much greater torque, the heavy buggy took the bumps great and with the huge modern batteries no worries about dumping.

Depending on how my shoulder goes I may race again....but that old gold tub is calling me.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #1200
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

If you run Lipo with your existing set up, consider adding one of these - http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html - I run one in my Kyosho Blizzard as I have it set up with a brushed system for now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: