ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #16696
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
All I know is that if you need to drag a knee puck on the asphalt, you need to take the shit to the track. Sorry for sounding like some stingy old fuck, but it bothers the shit outta me that people get on their bikes and push them to the point of no return (while others are using the same roads some riders are using as a track). No bueno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Bingo. No one has ANY argument against this. It is impossible. There are laws on the street such as speed limits and reckless driving. There are accidents all the time, all over the world and it is only because someone is doing something they are not supposed to be doing. And one of those things is dragging a knee.

Sure, you can do it and go to bed with a smile on your face with the thought of that great ride, but it don't always work out that way.
Awwwwwww!!! Do you two need some scuffed up knee pucks? I have a few laying around I will send you each one so you can show your friends how awesome you are!

Since when did putting a knee down become verboten? Is it any different than riding a bike on the draggin, clearly not designed for cornering (cough - cruiser - cough - cough) and dragging hard parts?
And since when did having a knee down become "At the Limit"?

Do you also get thou panties in a twist when someone does a wheelie? The HORROR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Either I've got weak fingers (NOT) or my bikes have strong clutch springs. You ain't disengaging my clutches with one finger. When I had Huskys I usually shifted w/o the clutch, but not my road bikes.
Hydraulic clutch on the KTM is a one/two finger deal.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
2007 950R Super Enduro
2005 450EXC
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #16697
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 6,640
New Killbiy album up (mostly Landscapery) with some motorbike pics:

__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #16698
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
New Killbiy album up (mostly Landscapery) with some motorbike pics:

Damn squids with their scuffed up knee pucks!
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
2007 950R Super Enduro
2005 450EXC
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #16699
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I finally took an MSF class and the instructors corrected me for this. I've now taken several more MSF classes, and all the instructors say the same, all four fingers should cover the handles.
they are not *correcting" you.

they are preaching the MSF dogma to you...some of them probably have some idea of why, some probably do not (other than "that's what the book says").

it's probably a good way to teach newbies how to ride a bike and not accidentally apply the throttle and front brake at the same time, etc.

but it is not the "correct" (or incorrect) way of doing things.

i can give you lots of reasons why an *experienced* rider should only use 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch and brake. i cannot give you any reasons why an *experienced* rider should use all 4 (unless, of course, riding a bike with such shitty front brakes or such a hard clutch pull that you need all 4--er actually 3 since the pinky doesn't add anything--to muster the required force)...though someone else might be able to.

at any rate, the point is...just because the MSF tells you "do it this way" does not mean that is the best way to do it. insisting that people do not cover the brake and clutch...and then use all 4 fingers when it comes time to use the brake or clutch...is just one of a few things them MSF probably gets right for newbies, but not for experienced riders.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #16700
Human Ills
Useful Idiom
 
Human Ills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South (Dog help me) Bay
Oddometer: 22,593
Folks are just going to have to accept that some of us have better fingers.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #16701
daveinva
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
they are not *correcting" you.

they are preaching the MSF dogma to you...some of them probably have some idea of why, some probably do not (other than "that's what the book says").

it's probably a good way to teach newbies how to ride a bike and not accidentally apply the throttle and front brake at the same time, etc.

but it is not the "correct" (or incorrect) way of doing things.

i can give you lots of reasons why an *experienced* rider should only use 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch and brake. i cannot give you any reasons why an *experienced* rider should use all 4 (unless, of course, riding a bike with such shitty front brakes or such a hard clutch pull that you need all 4--er actually 3 since the pinky doesn't add anything--to muster the required force)...though someone else might be able to.

at any rate, the point is...just because the MSF tells you "do it this way" does not mean that is the best way to do it. insisting that people do not cover the brake and clutch...and then use all 4 fingers when it comes time to use the brake or clutch...is just one of a few things them MSF probably gets right for newbies, but not for experienced riders.
MSF is for beginners, or riders who have a their share of street time but not enough sense, i.e. the "basic training" will do them good.

Honestly, my only complaint about MSF is if the coaches insist that not only is their way the only way, but it's the only way forever and for all time.

In my experience, I've never met a coach who does that, however. That's a strawman.

They all say, "This is what's best for beginners. Once you've got practice and more experience under your belt, there are other ways to do things, we encourage you to get advanced rider training to improve your skills."
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #16702
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I've now taken several more MSF classes, and all the instructors say the same, all four fingers should cover the handles. None, and I mean none, have ever been able to give me a reason why.

So, what is the importance of having all four fingers on the controls?
Not this shit again........


Got my ass pounded by a couple of inmates for my "lever" technique!
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
2007 950R Super Enduro
2005 450EXC
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #16703
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
In my experience, I've never met a coach who does that, however.
i only took one MSF class (the ERC). i covered the brake and clutch and only used 1 or 2 fingers throughout the class. the coaches never mentioned it. (though they did mention not braking in turns and not letting off the rear brake once i locked up the rear wheel...which are two other areas in which i disagree with the MSF take on things *for experienced riders*.)

so, my (limited) experience mirrors yours with respect to fingers on the brake/clutch.

but there do seem to be some people who have different experiences...at least judging by posts on this forum.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #16704
ErikY.
Insulhater
 
ErikY.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North of you, probably
Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post

Do you also get thou panties in a twist when someone does a wheelie? The HORROR!


.
Dost thou also get thy panties in a twist.

Sheesh.

__________________
"Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb.
"Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can f*** right off." Frey Bentos
"This is it. Pay attention. -Me.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #16705
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Dost thou also get thy panties in a twist.

Sheesh.







__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
2007 950R Super Enduro
2005 450EXC
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #16706
shovelstrokeed
Studly Adventurer
 
shovelstrokeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 829
Take my former Tuono Factory out on the road and grab 4 fingers of front brake. Go ahead, I dare ya.
You'll either find yourself with a locked front wheel, not fun but recoverable, or upside down with the bike on top of you and your head facing back from whence you came. Can you say mouse trap?

Not all bikes require more than a very light touch on the brakes.

As to the original picture with the guy with the 1 finger on the clutch, maybe he rode a Bultaco road racer back in the day. At any rate, look how relaxed that gal is on the back of the bike, complete trust. Yeah, it would help him a bit if she leaned in a little more but, he might prefer that she just kept still on the back and let him handle the body English. He appears more than competent to me and to be riding well within his own and the bike's limits. Knee down really doesn't signify much. It is actually pretty easy to do at ridiculously slow speeds.
__________________
Sometimes you just gotta!
shovelstrokeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #16707
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
RhinoVonHawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern Pa
Oddometer: 1,283
And Who rides the Dragon during Summer months anymore, anyway? Other than Squids???

All I can think of is massive # of crashes, LEO, cagers, 18 Wheelers, etc.

While it is beautiful area (Yes I've ridden it - 12 yrs ago in Nov.)

America is a Big Beautiful country there's is many places to ride, but I guess U need that - "I Rode The Dragon" sticker
__________________
FREE Discount Prescriptions http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
AVO - R.I.P. - "When you don't have goals, you can't fail" - Neil Fallon
"He said, Son, remember where U came From" - LOA
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #16708
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,671
OK, Hijack over.

Thanks for all the input. Good to know I'm not crazy.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #16709
daveinva
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
OK, Hijack over.

Thanks for all the input. Good to know I'm not crazy.
In all fairness, you ride a motorcycle, so you may not be the best judge of sanity, yours or anyone else's.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #16710
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
In all fairness, you ride a motorcycle, so you may not be the best judge of sanity, yours or anyone else's.
Well, I also jump out of airplanes, and I married a redhead.

I'm destined for the psych ward.....


Sent from the voices in my head, and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014