Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #17416
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I would like to know what type of bike/riding you do? I've ridden through the greater DC area, 270, 495, Pennsylvania Ave., and I don't know of too many locals that really beat those roads for traffic (yes, even LA and San Diego) and intelligence impaired drivers. Close calls? Yup, but by paying attention, leaving as much room as the other road users would allow me, I mitigated the chance for the close call to become a call for an ambulance.

The number "98%" may be high, but not by much. Very few real "accidents" happen. One or the other driver could have done something along the line that would have negated the collision.

Troll? Hardly, I've disagreed with some of his posts, but this series is hardly a troll. Now, ask him about Harley's, and you're on your own......
I ride in Dallas. Commuting, since it takes an hour to get out of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
So you say I guy that got killed riding front of a red light runner was “doing everything right”. I say he was not. Then you say I’m stupid? Hmmmmmmmm…..ok. You just keep doing “everything right” and you won’t be calling anybody stupid. BTW why call someone stupid just because they disagree with you?
No, people are not stupid for disagreeing with me. They are stupid for thinking they can blame all accidents on just not knowing "how to ride". I'm in agreement as far as being a skilled and attentive rider is VERY important.

Where we disagree is the idiotic assertion that there aren't circumstances where none of that matters, and the rider just ends up dead. If you ride in heavy traffic, and don't think that's inherently dangerous, that also makes you an idiot.

Not that dangerous things aren't fun, but you have to recognize the danger or you're begging for trouble.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #17417
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
YOU are the only one here with reading comprehension issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Seriously, pay all the attention in the world, you can still end up flattened. Does it make y'all feel good to pretend that if you just pay enough attention, you'll never get hit?
Nobody said "never" but you.

Here, let me help... reading is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Do these things and the "risk" is about 2% and that 2% includes the deer strikes, mechanical failure, and road contaminates.
Quote:
Where we disagree is the idiotic assertion that there aren't circumstances where none of that matters, and the rider just ends up dead. If you ride in heavy traffic, and don't think that's inherently dangerous, that also makes you an idiot.

Again, no one but YOU is saying that.
Read more / post less. It is YOU that is the troll here.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 12:51 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #17418
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
No, people are not stupid for disagreeing with me. They are stupid for thinking they can blame all accidents on just not knowing "how to ride". I'm in agreement as far as being a skilled and attentive rider is VERY important.

Not that dangerous things aren't fun, but you have to recognize the danger or you're begging for trouble.
You are the only one saying things like "all". Everyone else has made a point to qualify their statements ("98%").

Edit: Hey, my first 205!
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #17419
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Qualifiers don't un-idiot the sentence. The dangers always include traffic. You told that guy to learn how to ride and maybe the traffic would be less dangerous. This is false.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #17420
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And 98% of them could have been or should have been avoided BY THE RIDER!

Quote:
No, that is the mindset of someone that rides every day in all weather conditions.

I will repeat it just to make you laugh some more. 98% of motorcycle accidents could have been or should have been avoided by the rider.

Pay attention
Don't ride impaired. (tired, drunk,drugs, anger....)
Take it seriously and actually learn to ride and control your bike.
Wear Gear that keeps you comfortable for the given weather so you can maintain focus to the task at hand. (protection should be the secondary consideration in gear selection)
Keep your bike in good running order. (tires, brakes, final drive...)

Do these things and the "risk" is about 2% and that 2% includes the deer strikes, mechanical failure, and road contaminates.

To sum it up. Learn to ride and that LA traffic would be more fun than frightening.
Here's what you said.

Just to clarify, are you denying that riding a motorcycle is inherently risky, and that riding in traffic is inherently more risky than other riding?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #17421
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
And now for something completely different

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #17422
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just to clarify, are you denying that riding a motorcycle is inherently risky, and that riding in traffic is inherently more risky than other riding?
Yes. I believe that I (or any proficient rider) can mitigate the risk down to around 2% thus IMO rending the risk very low. Rural riding is far more dangerous than urban riding IMO.

It is the nut holding the handlebars that makes it dangerous.

Quote:
You told that guy to learn how to ride and maybe the traffic would be less dangerous. This is false.

How in your mind is this "false" ?

Truth.... Some get it... Some don't.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 12:56 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #17423
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 783
UnsureFooting,

Your reading comprehension really does suck.

Dakez has never implied that he doesn't think riding carries risks. What he has implied is that it is the rider's responsibility to mitigate the vast majority of what can go wrong while riding on busy public roads.

I'm a n00b to riding (12 months now), and I've avoided becoming a crash statistic several times now by doing nothing other than paying attention. A month or so ago I avoided being rear ended simply because of attention to details and being able to quickly identify a threat. I suppose I could have been just another complacent "meh, shit happens" moron and been given an opportunity to post a sad tale in face plant about how some inattentive cager ran me over. In that sad tale I could have included a part about how we can't control everything, and fate just had it in for me that day.

I can guarantee that some of the first responses would have been "Hey, dipshit, why weren't you watching your six?"

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 02:12 PM Reason: pwnt by the grammar police
ShardPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #17424
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. I believe that I (or any proficient rider) can mitigate the risk down to around 2% thus IMO rending the risk very low. Rural riding is far more dangerous than urban riding IMO.

How in your mind is this "false" ?

Rural riding is more risky? Wtf? That's just moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
UnsureFooting,

Your reading comprehension really does suck.

Dakez has never inferred that he doesn't think riding carries risks. What he has inferred is that it is the rider's responsibility to mitigate the vast majority of what can go wrong while riding on busy public roads.

I'm a n00b to riding (12 months now), and I've avoided becoming a crash statistic several times now by doing nothing other than paying attention. A month or so ago I avoided being rear ended simply because of attention to details and being able to quickly identify a threat. I suppose I could have been just another complacent "meh, shit happens" moron and been given an opportunity to post a sad tale in face plant about how some inattentive cager ran me over. In that sad tale I could have included a part about how we can't control everything, and fate just had it in for me that day.

I can guarantee that some of the first responses would have been "Hey, dipshit, why weren't you watching your six?"
I have not said that you should be complacent. Not once. I've not said to not worry about it. What I've said is that thinking the rider has total control of his or her risk is 1) false 2) stupid and 3) a road to disaster.

If you really think you can mitigate your risk down to 2%, You are 1) bad with numbers, and 2) setting yourself up for failure by thinking you can ever be vigilant enough.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #17425
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:

This is just plain retarded.

Truth... Some get it..... Some just make up random shit...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #17426
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Rural riding is more risky? Wtf? That's just moronic.
Depends on location.

In the open desert not so much. In the woods it can be very much so, wildlife (particularly fast grazing animals) are a lot more unpredictable than even the most inattentive driver.

Also be careful in cattle range mountains, a great twisty road may have a cow around a blind curve (BTDT, luckily I noticed the cowshit in the road earlier).
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #17427
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,468
There are merits to the dangers of urban and rural riding.

When I ride in town, my biggest concern is the dude behind me, and the people crossing intersections. For the most part though, I have plenty of maneuvering room to avoid accidents, lot of places to bail if need be, and well lit roads at night so I can spot any dangers ahead.

On the rural roads, which I ride most often, I find myself often dodging the oncoming car in my lane, who typically is texting. My only place to bail out is the tree line. Pine trees may not be hardwoods, but they certainly are hard wood when you crash into them. Then I have to worry about the sprinters jumping out of the tree line to sprint across the road at night. Some people call them deer, I call them obstacles. I typically see about 10 every morning on my commute to work.

I find myself much more focused and alert on rural rides, because the dangers typically come out of nowhere. When I'm in town, I can typically spot the danger before it becomes an issue.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #17428
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
This is just plain retarded.

Truth... Some get it..... Some just make up random shit...
Do yourself a favor. Don't ride in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming... Or any of the several other states where deer and other fur clad four legged critters are (or should be) the #1 fear while riding.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=20

Drunk, ignorant, inatentive bad cage drivers are easy.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #17429
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Spot on

Quote:
deer and other fur clad four legged critters are (or should be) the #1 fear while riding.
+1M. Live in Michigan. My fear is probably disproportionate to the actual risk but the thought of hitting a deer is the only thing about riding that really scares me. I'm convinced that if I ever perish riding, it will be due to a deer strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Dakez has never implied that he doesn't think riding carries risks. What he has implied is that it is the rider's responsibility.....
Fixt. Speaker/writer implies, reader/listener infers.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #17430
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,226
Hey, I have this crazy idea... I'm going to post a photo in this thread. I know! Crazy, right?

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote