ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #181
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,934
If you look at the photo's it looks like the rider was just being lazy. The line, the posture, everything just points to a lazy, carefree approach to the road. It wasn't like he was riding over his head.

Unfortunately that road requires much more attention, due to the ammount of traffic going both directions.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #182
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
Trucks are warned but not prohibited. It is a U.S. highway. U.S. 129.

Regarding beer at the store. Cheers. I like a few cold ones after a day of riding if I'm camping at the gap for the scene.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #183
Land
Wanderer
 
Land's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Regarding beer at the store. Cheers. I like a few cold ones after a day of riding if I'm camping at the gap for the scene.
Hey, if we're up there at the same time, the first round is on me after riding. They close at 7 M-TH and at 8 on Fridays and Saturdays, though, so the beer is only available during the day. I don't think that their their main market is the after-riding, staying-over crowd.

I'm often still riding when they'd be closing the beer sales down. (Night runs there are fun, by the way, if the moon is bright and the clouds are elsewhere. )

Chris
__________________
I'm not lost. I'm explorin'.
"My dream is to live my life as best I can before I die, even if it kills me." -- Mr. Cob
"If you're on ADV and you're still anonymous, you're doing it wrong." -- Boondoggle
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #184
SR1
Back in S. Korea
 
SR1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 4,373
You holier than thou types really have sunk your teeth into this one. I suppose you guys even wear the smoking jacket and slippers while you're piously following the speed limit?

Get real.

I'm 100% with Dirtdabber, the dude was fuckin' lazy. Even my FIRST trip down Deal's Gap was not only done COMPLETELY IN MY LANE DESPITE THE "DISTRACTION" OF KILLBOY'S CAMERA, but also in a rather sporting way.

Face the facts people, motorcyclists don't seek out twisty roads in order to meander down them at coffee sippin' speeds. What's the point of that? If you're gonna ride bolt upright and slow, you might as well stick to roads like the BRP and the Natchez Trace. Many a time I have visited places like Deal's Gap (example: US 421/Shady Valley) and my riding buddies and I have all commented on people who "didn't belong there yet." My riding buddies happen to be guys with over 30 years of experience each, btw. Some roads are just over the rider's head. A rider should evaluate his limits BEFORE getting into something like that.

I'm sure some of you slipper wearers will think I'm being elitist, but you're wrong. There's just no point in riding a twisty road if you're not even going fast enough to lean, or you're so sloppy you can't stay on YOUR SIDE OF THE ROAD.

I've ridden with enough ADVers to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Stop damning the guys riding motorcycles safely and in a sporting manner. If you aren't that guy now, you probably were before you died of old age.

Damn the guys who ride like shit.
They need to know it so they will either brush up on technique or stay on the boulevards. Deal's Gap is famous for a reason, and that reason is not riding slow and looking at leaves. The cops won't stay there forever, but as long as motorcycles exist the road will be popular for sport riding, like it or not. Considering that, RIDING SLOWLY AND INATTENTIVELY THERE IS UNSAFE. If you're going to do that, go somewhere else.
__________________
My TAT trip in 2014: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998193
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #185
Mr. Magoo
n/a
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 4,946
My first trip through the gap was on a '83 Honda VT500 Ascot with my 9 year old son on the back. Unforgetable good times!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #186
AzB
Fattest thin man
 
AzB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Directly above the center of the Earth
Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1
Considering that, RIDING SLOWLY AND INATTENTIVELY THERE IS UNSAFE. If you're going to do that, go somewhere else.
While I agree with what you're saying, you have to remember it's a public road. It is your responsibility to realize that there will be leaf lookers, trucks, and even bicyclists. They all have the same right to be there, so be prepared, and don't get upset if they don't do things exactly the way you think they should.

Az
__________________
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever" - Anonymous
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #187
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman
 
BUBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: I'm here because I'm not all there.
Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
Killboy and the others are distraction up there. Why do you think he catchs so many wrecks in camera?

Have you not noticed the skid marks leading off the road all over the Gap? It's not just where Killboy is.
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #188
Skyclad
Original Bastard
 
Skyclad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Moran Nation, confused as a baby in a topless bar
Oddometer: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
If you look at the photo's it looks like the rider was just being lazy. The line, the posture, everything just points to a lazy, carefree approach to the road. It wasn't like he was riding over his head.

Unfortunately that road requires much more attention, due to the ammount of traffic going both directions.
Big +1

I am human and have made mistakes while riding. That being said, the Dragon is a place where even little mistakes can be deadly. I have enjoyed riding the Dragon the few times that I have been there. I have no interest in visiting during the "normal" riding season. When folks ask me about it, I tell them the Dragon is not a fun road. The level of concentration required to ride the Dragon safely is not "fun". To me, the fun comes after you get to the end, and stop to decompress before moving on. The Cherohala Skyway is much more "fun", though it is an easier road to ride overall.

It is true that the road is open to the public, and everybody has a right to ride there. That does not mean they should. If you have a problem with being easily distracted, the Dragon is not for you. If you are not comfortable on the bike, or in your own abilities, the Dragon is not for you. If you are tired at the end of a long day, the Dragon is not where you should be. My wife has been on the Dragon exactly one time, sitting in the passenger seat of my MS6. She would like to ride her bike on the Dragon some day, but she will tell anyone who asks that she is not ready for that road, yet.
__________________
Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.
cancer
For some, a glue stick would be a better option than Chapstick
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #189
SR1
Back in S. Korea
 
SR1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 4,373
I never said it wasn't public. Skyclad answered as well as I could. People with a fear of heights take steps to avoid driving on suspension bridges. People who are tired and sleepy should avoid driving, especially at night. Blind people are not allowed to drive at all.

I lust after an RC-51, I admit it. I have the money to buy one. But I have enough common sense to know that to own one is a poor heath choice for me. Therefore, I choose not to do the thing I have "every right" to do, for my own (and other's) safety.

Just because it's public doesn't mean everyone belongs there.
__________________
My TAT trip in 2014: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998193
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #190
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion
 
Inane Cathode's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Arvada, CO
Oddometer: 4,601
Just because one is a skilled rider, doesn't mean the road belongs to him. Other people exist in this world, and they have just as much of a right to be on any public road as any other person. Just because they ride slower than you does not mean they don't belong there, it means that you need to check your selfishness in the driveway and realize that just because riding fast is fun doesn't make it a right.

When i ride on the yokle twisty roads (an aside: im sure thats not the only twisty road over there, why would you go ride the same famous twisty road along with thousands of other people instead of finding a deserted piece of twisty you can have nearly to yourself?) I'll ride as fast as i feel comfortable and fun doing. If i come across a vehicle, four wheeled or not, that's not driving as fast as i would like to, i use the rational that it's my perogative to ride fast and fun, not everyone elses. If they want to pull over, thats their decision. If i can pass them safely, i'll do it, but i wont righteously insist that they're harshing my vibe and how dare they attempt a road that i'm technically better at riding.

It's not everyone elses job to ensure that I have a good time. Motorcycles are fun, but they're not toys. You can't expect everyone to give way when you're looking to have fun. Do it when you can, but realize it's your perogative to speed and ride outside your braking line, not everyone elses.
__________________
_______
Pokey The Wunderbus
The VEEP Project



Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #191
Skyclad
Original Bastard
 
Skyclad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Moran Nation, confused as a baby in a topless bar
Oddometer: 5,571
You misunderstand me. I do not say that some folks should not be one roads like the Dragon out of selfishness or any of that. I say it for the same reason that I say that an inexperienced rider should not buy a liter bike as their first machine.

Let me see if I can make this clear enough.

US 129, and many other roads like it, are roads that can be dangerous. New riders, or those that do not have good bike handling skills should get experience on roads that are more forgiving of mistakes, just as they should start on a motorcycle that is forgiving of mistakes.

This has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting to ride fast. If somebody is riding slower than I want to, I will pass them if there is a safe place to do so. If not, then I will still be able to ride faster another day.
__________________
Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.
cancer
For some, a glue stick would be a better option than Chapstick
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #192
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman
 
BUBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: I'm here because I'm not all there.
Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
You misunderstand me. I do not say that some folks should not be one roads like the Dragon out of selfishness or any of that. I say it for the same reason that I say that an inexperienced rider should not buy a liter bike as their first machine.

Let me see if I can make this clear enough.

US 129, and many other roads like it, are roads that can be dangerous. New riders, or those that do not have good bike handling skills should get experience on roads that are more forgiving of mistakes, just as they should start on a motorcycle that is forgiving of mistakes.

.....
The Dragon is like no other road I've ever ridden on. It's a roller coaster you ride your bike on.

A new or unskilled rider is just plain lucky not to "make a mistake" taming the Dragon.

A skilled rider pushing his envelope is likewise lucky not to.

Skilled or unskilled not paying attention WILL make a mistake

Remember this guy?






BUBB screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 07:31 AM
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #193
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB

Remember this guy?

That is one of the best examples of the "camera distraction" on that road.

And also follows the adage look where you want to go.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #194
Land
Wanderer
 
Land's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
Just because one is a skilled rider, doesn't mean the road belongs to him.
I agree that the road doesn't belong to him (as an individual, anyway), but he does have a right to expect that oncoming traffic will not be in his lane. The lane "belongs" to him in that sense.

All the best,
Chris
__________________
I'm not lost. I'm explorin'.
"My dream is to live my life as best I can before I die, even if it kills me." -- Mr. Cob
"If you're on ADV and you're still anonymous, you're doing it wrong." -- Boondoggle
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #195
Land
Wanderer
 
Land's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
That is one of the best examples of the "camera distraction" on that road.

And also follows the adage look where you want to go.

Look at how much tread there is on the front tire in that middle pic. We can rule out bad tires, I think.

(Hiya, Clay! )

Chris
__________________
I'm not lost. I'm explorin'.
"My dream is to live my life as best I can before I die, even if it kills me." -- Mr. Cob
"If you're on ADV and you're still anonymous, you're doing it wrong." -- Boondoggle
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014