ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #19531
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
He had it laid over, until he found a target.


[IMG]http://gl1800riders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43826[/snip]
D'ya reckon he'd have avoided some injury/much liability if he'd just laid 'er down and slid into the ravine and sycamores instead of centerpunching his victim?

That wreck still hurts to look at.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #19532
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
ok big doc
2. mapquest says 925 miles from wilmington to daytona. i'm calling b.s. on a group ,even a small group being able to average 75 mph on that east coast trip.
You sir, have obviously not spent much time on interestate 95......especially south of Richmond, VA. If you are not running 70+ the behemoth's of over the road transportation (AKA: Tractor Trailers) WILL run you off the road. And coming in a close second is I-81 further to the west in VA.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #19533
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
You sir, have obviously not spent much time on interestate 95......especially south of Richmond, VA. If you are not running 70+ the behemoth's of over the road transportation (AKA: Tractor Trailers) WILL run you off the road. And coming in a close second is I-81 further to the west in VA.
I have never averaged less moving, and so long as the stops are short I can see averaging that with stops.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #19534
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
He had it laid over, until he found a target.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I can't even stand seeing this image anymore. This guy is a fucking idiot. How do you ride all the way to "The Dragon" and forget there are fucking turns? That is the reason you WENT TO THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON. I hope the other guy pounded his face till the ambulance got there.

I live less than an hour away from the dragon. People don't understand why I don't like to ride there during the season....that picture pretty well sums it up.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #19535
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
What pressure were you running? It seems that some folks think that the "right" tire pressure is what's on the tire. But that ignores the bike/person/load weight and ignores the rider's intentions (less air usually better at slow speeds over rocky terrain, etc.).

Perhaps the tire was at the "right" pressure for a car, but not for the bike, a 450 twin doesn't have a lot of weight.

Not that I'm recommending running these less-rounded tires on my bikes mind you :-)

StoneAge Man
The sad, horrible thing is it was actually some squared-off fat-bob bike tire, not a car tire.
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #19536
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I live less than an hour away from the dragon. People don't understand why I don't like to ride there during the season....that picture pretty well sums it up.


Mike
Don't go to South Dakota in August... There are passels of them.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #19537
TrashCan
Scary Jerry
 
TrashCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Louisville, Tn
Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I live less than an hour away from the dragon. People don't understand why I don't like to ride there during the season....that picture pretty well sums it up.


Mike


We usually do the breakfast run.
No traffic going in, then sneak out the back way.



__________________
X the DY.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #19538
Beto
RustyGasket
 
Beto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Mrs. Sauga & Dela-Where?
Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
We usually do the breakfast run.
No traffic going in, then sneak out the back way.



Traffic? What traffic?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog
"...if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #19539
TrashCan
Scary Jerry
 
TrashCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Louisville, Tn
Oddometer: 4,374
Those are afternoon shadows...


__________________
X the DY.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #19540
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I have never averaged less moving, and so long as the stops are short I can see averaging that with stops.

Jim
I can't speak for those roads in particular, but if I'm slabbing it anywhere for a full day, I usually average a touch over the posted limit including stops. My riding theory is usually to take a large chunk of miles on the first leg (I hope for 200, but don't always manage), then 100-150 mile legs (again, on slab). If a rider travels at 8-10 MPH or so over the posted limit with a few twists of the throttle thrown in, he can take a 15-20 minute break every 90 minutes or so and easily average the speed limit or best it.
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #19541
daveinva
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
What?
What what?
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #19542
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
I can't speak for those roads in particular, but if I'm slabbing it anywhere for a full day, I usually average a touch over the posted limit including stops. My riding theory is usually to take a large chunk of miles on the first leg (I hope for 200, but don't always manage), then 100-150 mile legs (again, on slab). If a rider travels at 8-10 MPH or so over the posted limit with a few twists of the throttle thrown in, he can take a 15-20 minute break every 90 minutes or so and easily average the speed limit or best it.
That's doable for a SOLO rider who's focused. Never happen with a GROUP. It'll be a clusterfuck.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #19543
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's doable for a SOLO rider who's focused. Never happen with a GROUP. It'll be a clusterfuck.
Depends on the group. I have done it with four.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #19544
melville
Beastly Adventurer
 
melville's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakez View Post
don't go to south dakota in august... There are tassels of them.
ftfy
__________________
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #19545
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Depends on the group. I have done it with four.

Jim
Or if you have smokers in the group. By myself, fuel stops are 3 minutes, with a smoker, make it 15 minutes.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014