Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #19546
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Depends on the group. I have done it with four.

Jim
Or if you have smokers in the group. By myself, fuel stops are 3 minutes, with a smoker, make it 15 minutes.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #19547
jitterymonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Or if you have smokers in the group. By myself, fuel stops are 3 minutes, with a smoker, make it 15 minutes.
2 strokes or cigarettes?

[joefast14] Never modify a Yamaha SRX-6, they turn into a money hole that you can never get out of.
jitterymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #19548
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's doable for a SOLO rider who's focused. Never happen with a GROUP. It'll be a clusterfuck.
I've done it on a multi-day trip with three of us, although I will admit that it would be very rare to find others with whom you share riding styles as well as are great friends. Sometimes I am a lucky S.O.B.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #19549
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
What what?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #19550
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
might be my favorite movie, but smokers in a gas station? not likely.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #19551
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
well, i first thought it was a gl1800, as the pic came from a gl1800 forum. but, it seems it's an older 'wing...

definitely a hog, but oriental...

doug s.
Not a 'Wing of any year. They never made them with Vtwins. Look where the exhaust is coming from.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #19552
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m View Post
Not a 'Wing of any year. They never made them with Vtwins. Look where the exhaust is coming from.

The approaching bike is a Valkyrie. Almost a wing....
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #19553
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
The Guys that's crashing has Harley Davidson written in skulls on his helmet....
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #19554
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
The Guys that's crashing has Harley Davidson written in skulls on his helmet....
must be a seerer.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #19555
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
You guys need to ride with more people. I have owned and ridden most everything over the years. I now have 2 BMWs, a Honda 4 wheeler, an old Bultaco Matador, a Suzuki 185 trials bike from 1985, and a Triumph 500 Scrambler. I have owned Harleys [never again] and ride with a lot of my friends who own Harleys. I only ride with them when my wife is along because that is the only way I can go slow enough for them. Riding two up kicks my "safety mode" into gear. The longest distance I have ever ridden with my Harley buddies is 150 miles to a winery for lunch. My BMW buddies however routinely ride from Wilmington to Daytona Beach without a break for anything but food and drink. The trip last year averaged 75 MPH; that includes all stops. My Harley buddies rarely get to 75 on anything other than an interstate. So from my perspective, Harley riders are slow riders. Yes, I know there are exceptions.

As for the Starbucks comment on the BMW guys; my riding buddies are cheap and usually stop at McDonald's for coffee or more often, have a thermos from home with them because stopping cuts into their average speed. I only stopped in one Starbucks in my life and I was walking in downtown DC.

If any of you go to many of the Annual Rallies posted here, you had best have some tolerance for what others ride. I have seen everything at these events over the years and only met one person that I did not like. It had nothing to do with what he was riding.

I am not a Harley guy, but I have several friends who own them. Some of them ride as much as anyone. They are not all posers. Most prudent people rarely get to 75mph on anything other than an interstate. The speed limit around here is 55 on most rural roads.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #19556
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I agree. I am not a cruiser (feet forward) owner/rider... It is not the riding I like to do. But it does have me riding them almost daily. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, ... And Yes Harley's.

The reason I have metrics to ride is because riders come in and I have them ride a Harley or two. It opens their eyes to just why Harley-Davidson outsells all the metrics combined in the USA.

If you are ever out this way be sure to let me know and we can take a few out riding. The you will know that your claim does not have validity.

It really is that simple. Go ride them and get back to us.

p.s. After the feet forward... We can get on some fun bikes and enjoy a few of the great roads we keep secret out here in Oregon.
Hey D,

I'm not trying to horn in on an argument, just curious as to what you mean by "it opens their eyes to just why HD outsells all the metrics". I rode a Road King and just didn't see anything special about it at all. I bought a Nomad. No regrets. Try as I may, I just can't see the Emperor's new clothes, if you get my meaning. I have several friends that own Harley's. They seem to think nothing about going to the dealership and over paying for everything. I have no doubt that modern HD's are fine machines. They get great reviews. They're just not my cup of tea.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #19557
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterymonkey View Post
2 strokes or cigarettes?
Both. The 2-stroke guys have to mix fuel (unless they have a automatic mix tank), and the cigarette smokers have to go stand at the edge of the parking lot while they do their thing.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #19558
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Perhaps he should have spelled "lay 'er down" instead
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #19559
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Hey D,

I'm not trying to horn in on an argument, just curious as to what you mean by "it opens their eyes to just why HD outsells all the metrics". I rode a Road King and just didn't see anything special about it at all. I bought a Nomad. No regrets. Try as I may, I just can't see the Emperor's new clothes, if you get my meaning. I have several friends that own Harley's. They seem to think nothing about going to the dealership and over paying for everything. I have no doubt that modern HD's are fine machines. They get great reviews. They're just not my cup of tea.
And this ^^^ Is why we are all blessed to have so many choices.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #19560
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I am not a Harley guy, but I have several friends who own them. Some of them ride as much as anyone. They are not all posers. Most prudent people rarely get to 75mph on anything other than an interstate. The speed limit around here is 55 on most rural roads.