Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #20716
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Come to think of it I should fly him out here to Ct. I have some cock pants pirates that harass my local roads, maybe he's for hire
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #20717
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Glad you're ok too. Have you got any pics of the aftermath of the gear you were wearing? I'd like to see how that stuff worked out of you.
Regarding my Super Tenere Dragon crash from many pages ago (you guys move quick in this thread)...

Here is the whole ride report / story / crash details / pictures:

http://www.mikef5000.com/2013-ride-and-crash.html
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #20718
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Come to think of it I should fly him out here to Ct. I have some cock pants pirates that harass my local roads, maybe he's for hire

Go fuck yourself with a cactus.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #20719
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Regarding my Super Tenere Dragon crash from many pages ago (you guys move quick in this thread)...

MIKE.
Nice write up about your crash. The engine guard should be taken off the market assuming it was installed correctly.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #20720
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Go fuck yourself with a cactus.
Nice, no sense of humor I guess!
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #20721
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Since you're okay, & I'm glad you are, I'll say it.

Quote:
The main cause of the accident appears to be my aftermarket skid plate.
No, poor body position contributing to grounding hard parts was the cause of the crash.

Quote:
Nice write up about your crash. The engine guard should be taken off the market assuming it was installed correctly.
And this is complete BS. Based on this way of thinking, all hard parts that might contact the pavement should be taken off the market.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #20722
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post

No, poor body position contributing to grounding hard parts was the cause of the crash.

And this is complete BS. Based on this way of thinking, all hard parts that might contact the pavement should be taken off the market.
I'm interested in hearing about what his correct body position should have been.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #20723
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:

A race Body position could have helped, less speed would have helped more. I consider an upright body position standard on this type of bike, but I wasn't necessarily riding it in a 'standard' sort of way.

Regardless, it sounds like I'm blaming the bike/skid plate 100%. Which isn't intentional. I realize I was riding it. And picked those parts. And picked that speed in that corner. I guess I just moved on from those facts, to the 'reason' I went down, as opposed to the 'cause'. That make sense? I added a line in my website so it doesn't sound like I'm blaming everything but myself. I hate people like that.

Moving on... I gave more details about the skid plate in the Tenere thread, I still maintain that it's the best of the best for off roading, it's just worth noting that the peg feelers are the absolute end of the line with this plate in place.

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 04:06 PM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #20724
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,541
my pov? you were going to fast on THAT bike. kiss. cant blame any parts, they were on there when you left in the morning...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #20725
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,651
Quote:
I call BS on your post.
A bash plate should not contact the ground in a turn. Foot peg feelers yes but not a bash plate. Poor design and should not be installed on a motorcycle. It should be tucked tight up against the frame and not extend outside the frame.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #20726
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,694
From the pics, I'd say MikeF and Huzband both are correct.

In aggressive riding, body position of hanging off bike, to the inside of a turn, and helping keeping the bike upright more, maintains a better contact patch. Better contact patch helps to keep front from washing out and crashing.

Now, in leaning through a turn, if parts stick out, they will hit the ground, causing tires to lose traction, and causing crash.

So both things are probably right.

Doesn't matter, does the bullet or the gun, do the killing?? Neither, the shooter does.

In anycase, from the pictures on the page, its hard to tell if the front washed out first and then the metal parts hit, or did the metals parts hit, causing to front end to wash out. Without video and slow mo, hard to say for sure. I am confident those two thing happened within fractions of a second of each other.

Mike, good job on the write up.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #20727
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #20728
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I call BS on your post.
A bash plate should not contact the ground in a turn. Foot peg feelers yes but not a bash plate. Poor design and should not be installed on a motorcycle. It should be tucked tight up against the frame and not extend outside the frame.

I understand what your saying but I look at it this way. I have 98 Jeep Wrangler.....in stock form I can corner that thing almost as good as a car. However I have lifted 6" and put on 36" Super Swamper tires....now it handles like a wallowing pig...If I drive it the same as I did when it was stock. I'd flip it. However its off-road performance has been enhanced considerably. It was a trade off. I don't think all aftermarket lift kits should be pulled from the market because it effects the road handling.

Those who run the Rumbox plate should know that aggressive riding could lead to this happening....
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #20729
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I'm interested in hearing about what his correct body position should have been.
He doesn't necessarily need to have his but off the seat, but rather butt back, upper torso forward & inside, as if to kiss the mirror. For examlpe;

Although that was shot at a track day, that's not a so-called race position. That's my everyday riding style, especially in the mountains. Maximizes contact patch & minimizes lean angle are just two benefits.

End my participation in this hijack, back to your regularly scheduled program.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #20730
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
He doesn't necessarily need to have his but off the seat, but rather butt back, upper torso forward & inside, as if to kiss the mirror.
That's how I do it too. I've got a bad hip and no knee sliders, so "kissing the mirror" works well for me.
Conedodger is online now   Reply With Quote