Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #21991
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
.... Seems it's well past time for a lawsuit against both the TN & NC DOT for not doing enough to stop this.
People say there are too many lawyers, until they want one!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #21992
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
This type of shit has been going on for how many decades? Seems it's well past time for a lawsuit against both the TN & NC DOT for not doing enough to stop this. They need multiple warning signs along with areas at both ends designated for a truck to make a U-turn. Maybe a height restriction bar across the road that will not let tractor trailers pass.
One has to remember this is US129, i think the state is limited in what it can do, i am no expert on the rules when it comes to federal Hwy matters.

I do know my neighbor is a Tenn hwy patrol officer (inmate here too) and he writes every big truck a ticket that he sees up there, instant ticket when they cross the yellow line, he was assigned to that area most every week, he is TN Army reserve and has been deployed to Afg. but is back now, being a rider himself he does not like some of the stuff he sees on US129.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #21993
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,232
Quote:
This type of shit has been going on for how many decades? Seems it's well past time for a lawsuit against both the TN & NC DOT for not doing enough to stop this. They need multiple warning signs along with areas at both ends designated for a truck to make a U-turn. Maybe a height restriction bar across the road that will not let tractor trailers pass.
http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemap...uckrestrix.pdf
North Carolina Truck Restrictions
US 129
No through truck tractors with trailers longer than 30 feet, and no truck tractors with trailers longer than 48 feet, north of the Cheoah
Dam between the Graham County line and the Tennessee state line.

http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

2012 - TRUCKS ON THE DRAGON North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #21994
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
I think one should be able to drive what they want, when they want on the dragon. But, a heavy fine fine should be meted out to those that cross the yellow line.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #21995
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I think one should be able to drive what they want, when they want on the dragon. But, a heavy fine fine should be meted out to those that cross the yellow line.
So just set up a "fine" booth and fine every semi that comes through $500, because it's physically impossible for them to make it through on their side of the road.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #21996
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Even if the pic doesn't show oncoming traffic you can bet that on the dragon on a weekend, there will be oncoming traffic soon enough.

"That's their choice, right?" -- uh, yeah I guess it's someone's choice if they want to mow down a full lane of oncoming traffic on a twisty road... manslaughter is a choice I suppose.
Someone stated they believed the photo I posted relative to IS actually a blind bend. However, IF a driver (or rider) can see far enough ahead that crossing the DY presents no danger to other road users, I say "So what if they want to cut the corner?" Law enforcement will see it differently no doubt but as I noted, there are plenty of people speeding and most of us agree that's ok if it doesn't endanger anyone.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #21997
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
Thoroughbred Stallion.

www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

Based off of 4 cyl Ford Explorer. Keeps drivetrain and amenities and controls.

Interesting concept.

NCS
Your linky doesn't work.

Try this one.

http://www.motortrike.com/trikeThoro...dStallion.aspx

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #21998
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
So just set up a "fine" booth and fine every semi that comes through $500, because it's physically impossible for them to make it through on their side of the road.

these are commonplace in europe. This system on a 53 foot trailer wouldn't have to cross the yellow line...

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #21999
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post

wtf?
Prototype of the new Victory trike?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #22000
Bullspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
You'd be screaming too if your lady made you trailer her shoe collection with you to every destination...
Isn't that Jennifer Anniston (Friends TV show)? I always thought she was a little scary, with or without a trailer full of shoes.
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #22001
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
these are commonplace in europe. This system on a 53 foot trailer wouldn't have to cross the yellow line...

Even with that system, there are some turns on the Dragon that it couldn't make without at least the overhangs ending up in the oncoming lane.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #22002
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Even with that system, there are some turns on the Dragon that it couldn't make without at least the overhangs ending up in the oncoming lane.
Like bikes that lean over the line.....
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #22003
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Like bikes that lean over the line.....
True, but bikes do it out of carelessness or stupidity, semis do it out of necessity... and stupidity for even being on that road.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #22004
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
IIRC, the TN side does have numerous warnings for truckers to turn around. Problem is that 99.99% will ignore the signs and once they get on the dragon there is no turning around.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #22005
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
IIRC, the TN side does have numerous warnings for truckers to turn around.
There is one (1) sign, and it's just past Foothills Pkwy. a/k/a beyond the point of no return.

But, all that aside. We all seem to forget that it is an actual U.S. Highway, and all in all about 600 miles in length.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote