ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #23461
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
In my experience MOST women in motorsports are fine with the attention. If you are not, you won't last long as it is a predominently male sport.

Jim
GF works team race support for ALMS, I have a lot of "small world" moments with the people I run into in motorsports.
She got plenty of attention in engineering school, got the DEI scholorship/internship. She graduated a few years behind me. She doesn't really enjoy the attention, she just blocks it out most of the time so she can actually get stuff done.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #23462
20valves
Yamaholic
 
20valves's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Sorry! I was applying intelligent comprehension but had not considered that the OP may be a narcissistic bigot. Doesn't this sub-topic belong in the stereotypes thread?
But then we'd have to put your response in the humorless, politically correct, whiney, self-righteous, self absorbed, gas bag thread.
__________________
'14 500 EXC, '06 R1 LE, '13 FJR, '12 XTZ12, '09 T Max
20valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #23463
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
But then we'd have to put your response in the humorless, politically correct, whiney, self-righteous, self absorbed, gas bag thread.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #23464
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
GF works team race support for ALMS, I have a lot of "small world" moments with the people I run into in motorsports.
She got plenty of attention in engineering school, got the DEI scholorship/internship. She graduated a few years behind me. She doesn't really enjoy the attention, she just blocks it out most of the time so she can actually get stuff done.
But is she an ass about it, or just ignores the attention? Seems the person we are discussing has a big chip on her shoulder.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #23465
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
But is she an ass about it, or just ignores the attention? Seems the person we are discussing has a big chip on her shoulder.

Jim
That's because she's from Lebanon.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #23466
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 3,756
Run out of pictures again?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #23467
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 3,756
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #23468
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 8,382
While we're waiting for new photos...

The new 2014 Harley lineup will feature linked brakes. Finally, a way to get HD riders to use the front brake.

__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #23469
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
While we're waiting for new photos...

The new 2014 Harley lineup will feature linked brakes. Finally, a way to get HD riders to use the front brake.
Crap they are all going to be flying over the handlebars.... Watch the HD forums for creative ways to disable this clearly dangerous feature....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #23470
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Watch the HD forums for creative ways to disable this clearly dangerous feature....
You're laughing but you know it will happen...
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #23471
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Well either ?she? can't see the speedometer clearly or she should have had those raw clams for dinner last night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
She's discovering the joys of an open faced helmet in the rain.
And she's discovering the joy of trying to look through a windscreen that is covered with rain and road grime.

Any windscreen too tall to look over top is dangerous as hell. Might make for a better "rolling lounge chair" but it is a big, sloppy, shitey mess to see through when it does rain. Better stop under an overpass and park it.

(do NOT touch the front brake though or you'll go straight over the handlebars)
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #23472
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
And she's discovering the joy of trying to look through a windscreen that is covered with rain and road grime.

Any windscreen too tall to look over top is dangerous as hell. Might make for a better "rolling lounge chair" but it is a big, sloppy, shitey mess to see through when it does rain. Better stop under an overpass and park it.

(do NOT touch the front brake though or you'll go straight over the handlebars)

Looks like she's available, though
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #23473
Riteris
Dessert Runner
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
Oddometer: 2,866
I guess they will invent louder exhaust pipes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Crap they are all going to be flying over the handlebars.... Watch the HD forums for creative ways to disable this clearly dangerous feature....
__________________
Chris

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #23474
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Crap they are all going to be flying over the handlebars.... Watch the HD forums for creative ways to disable this clearly dangerous feature....
Linked brakes suck. I'd be looking for a way to convert back to conventional brakes too. Despite all the jokes, there are times it is good to be able to use only the rear brake. Linked brakes might be good for beginners and idiots but will degrade an experienced riders ability to use the brakes properly in some circumstances.

Note: I'm not talking about BMWs unusual linked brakes found on the GS.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #23475
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,728
My Super Tenere has linked brakes but you can still use the rear brake by itself....in fact if you touch the rear brake it disconnects the link automatically until you release both brakes...

Seems like a good system to me....

The biggest issue I have with linked brakes is when I go from the S10 to my KLR....I forget to use the rear brake....which anyone riding a KLR with tell you, you really need to use the rear and front brakes or your not stopping...
__________________
"Beer cans explode with a nice loud pop when they are hit by a Heidenau K60 at 40 miles an hour. Now my bike smells like last call..." Me
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014