Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #23476
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
My Super Tenere has linked brakes but you can still use the rear brake by itself....in fact if you touch the rear brake it disconnects the link automatically until you release both brakes...

Seems like a good system to me....

The biggest issue I have with linked brakes is when I go from the S10 to my KLR....I forget to use the rear brake....which anyone riding a KLR with tell you, you really need to use the rear and front brakes or your not stopping...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #23477
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 939
I've had two bikes with linked brakes. '03 K1200RS and an '06 ST1300. Both had ABS. I found them both very acceptable and the brakes on the BMW would just about send you over the bars if you weren't careful. Aside from the complexity and the PITA to bleed, I would happily accept them in my next bike. There may be some small percentage of riders who can in a few thousandths of a second carefully modulate the front and rear brakes to stop the bike in a shorter time and distance and avert the accident. Most of us will never achieve that level of excellence and will be well served by expert engineering coming to the aid of our feeble human reaction times and less than expert coordination. This same majority may very well have their life saved by being able to grab a handful of the front brake lever and just squeeze like hell when the shit hits the fan.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #23478
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
My Super Tenere has linked brakes but you can still use the rear brake by itself....in fact if you touch the rear brake it disconnects the link automatically until you release both brakes...

Seems like a good system to me....

The biggest issue I have with linked brakes is when I go from the S10 to my KLR....I forget to use the rear brake....which anyone riding a KLR with tell you, you really need to use the rear and front brakes or your not stopping...
My problem with most linked brakes is that you can't use just the rear brake. Since the ST system allows independent rear brake application, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I have a KLR, with an oversize 320mm front brake rotor, it stops pretty well with just the front brake, but the rear brake still helps.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #23479
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Linked brakes might be good for beginners and idiots but will degrade an experienced riders ability to use the brakes properly in some circumstances.
Complete hogwash. I have an FJR and Super Tenere, both have great, linked brakes.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #23480
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
I ride a supermoto, linked brakes would be about the worst thing ever...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #23481
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
New Multi has linked- unobtrusive, flawless- squeeze the front it activates the rear a little, activating the rear does not engage the front. And ABS can be disengaged.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #23482
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
I've had two bikes with linked brakes. '03 K1200RS and an '06 ST1300. Both had ABS. I found them both very acceptable and the brakes on the BMW would just about send you over the bars if you weren't careful. Aside from the complexity and the PITA to bleed, I would happily accept them in my next bike. There may be some small percentage of riders who can in a few thousandths of a second carefully modulate the front and rear brakes to stop the bike in a shorter time and distance and avert the accident. Most of us will never achieve that level of excellence and will be well served by expert engineering coming to the aid of our feeble human reaction times and less than expert coordination. This same majority may very well have their life saved by being able to grab a handful of the front brake lever and just squeeze like hell when the shit hits the fan.
There are many different types of linked brakes. Most of them use a system where the rear brake pedal actuates front and rear brakes and the front lever actuates just the front. Some of the more complex systems link both controls to both brakes. One of the main reasons for linked brakes is to help out those who didn't use or under used the front brakes. Linked brakes where introduced long before ABS. With ABS, some of the issues I have with linked brakes go away. Without ABS, they can be dangerous in some situations.

Your example of just grab a handful of front brake lever and squeeze like hell would not work well with many of the linked brake systems out there. Most are still designed to work best when both brakes are applied.

I don't know the details of Harley's system so I'll reserve judgement. In any case, I have no plans of buying a Harley so it really won't affect me.

Now where are those new killboy pics so we can get off this subject.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #23483
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Well either ?she? can't see the speedometer clearly or she should have had those raw clams for dinner last night....

Looks like she is dealing with the wonderful combo of:
- open face helmet
- prescription glasses
- windscreen she can not see over
- rain

All of this means she probably can't see crap, she does appear to have rain gear on which is kind of surprising.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #23484
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebear View Post
New Multi has linked- unobtrusive, flawless- squeeze the front it activates the rear a little, activating the rear does not engage the front. And ABS can be disengaged.
It's good to see that some of the bike companies "get it". I can see the benefits to this type of system.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #23485
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Nope, I'm pretty sure they are the same person... If you don't believe me, then check out one of their many internet slap fights.
they are not the same person.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #23486
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Complete hogwash. I have an FJR and Super Tenere, both have great, linked brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
I ride a supermoto, linked brakes would be about the worst thing ever...
Horses for courses!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #23487
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
There are many different types of linked brakes. Most of them use a system where the rear brake pedal actuates front and rear brakes and the front lever actuates just the front. Some of the more complex systems link both controls to both brakes. One of the main reasons for linked brakes is to help out those who didn't use or under used the front brakes. Linked brakes where introduced long before ABS. With ABS, some of the issues I have with linked brakes go away. Without ABS, they can be dangerous in some situations.
I would love to get off the subject, but you have made a generalization about linked brakes that doesn't apply to a large number of bikes out there. Since 2007, BMW has used a "semi-linked" system. In this system, if you squeeze the front brake lever, you activate the front brake plus up to 60% of the rear brake. If you also apply the rear brake pedal, you can increase the pressure on the rear up to the full 100%. If you hit the pedal only, then only the rear brake is activated. The rear pedal never activates the front brake.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #23488
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I would love to get off the subject, but you have made a generalization about linked brakes that doesn't apply to a large number of bikes out there. Since 2007, BMW has used a "semi-linked" system. In this system, if you squeeze the front brake lever, you activate the front brake plus up to 60% of the rear brake. If you also apply the rear brake pedal, you can increase the pressure on the rear up to the full 100%. If you hit the pedal only, then only the rear brake is activated. The rear pedal never activates the front brake.
That started with BMW about 5 or so years earlier, depending upon where in the world you lived.

It is on my K12RS and I love it.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #23489
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
If you go back to one of my previous posts, you'll notice that I said my comments don't apply to BMW's system. I thought only the GS had this system but if all the models have it then good for BMW. Most linked brake systems do not allow independent operation of the rear brake. Apparently BMW, Ducati, And Yamaha (on the Super Teniere) realized the problem and designed systems to fix that issue.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #23490
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
If you go back to one of my previous posts, you'll notice that I said my comments don't apply to BMW's system. I thought only the GS had this system but if all the models have it then good for BMW. Most linked brake systems do not allow independent operation of the rear brake. Apparently BMW, Ducati, And Yamaha (on the Super Teniere) realized the problem and designed systems to fix that issue.
So you just kinda hate linked brake systems, right?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote