ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #23476
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,679
My Super Tenere has linked brakes but you can still use the rear brake by itself....in fact if you touch the rear brake it disconnects the link automatically until you release both brakes...

Seems like a good system to me....

The biggest issue I have with linked brakes is when I go from the S10 to my KLR....I forget to use the rear brake....which anyone riding a KLR with tell you, you really need to use the rear and front brakes or your not stopping...
__________________
"Beer cans explode with a nice loud pop when they are hit by a Heidenau K60 at 40 miles an hour. Now my bike smells like last call..." Me
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #23477
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A
 
KilLeR Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 939
I've had two bikes with linked brakes. '03 K1200RS and an '06 ST1300. Both had ABS. I found them both very acceptable and the brakes on the BMW would just about send you over the bars if you weren't careful. Aside from the complexity and the PITA to bleed, I would happily accept them in my next bike. There may be some small percentage of riders who can in a few thousandths of a second carefully modulate the front and rear brakes to stop the bike in a shorter time and distance and avert the accident. Most of us will never achieve that level of excellence and will be well served by expert engineering coming to the aid of our feeble human reaction times and less than expert coordination. This same majority may very well have their life saved by being able to grab a handful of the front brake lever and just squeeze like hell when the shit hits the fan.
__________________
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda XR400R
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #23478
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
My Super Tenere has linked brakes but you can still use the rear brake by itself....in fact if you touch the rear brake it disconnects the link automatically until you release both brakes...

Seems like a good system to me....

The biggest issue I have with linked brakes is when I go from the S10 to my KLR....I forget to use the rear brake....which anyone riding a KLR with tell you, you really need to use the rear and front brakes or your not stopping...
My problem with most linked brakes is that you can't use just the rear brake. Since the ST system allows independent rear brake application, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I have a KLR, with an oversize 320mm front brake rotor, it stops pretty well with just the front brake, but the rear brake still helps.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #23479
20valves
Yamaholic
 
20valves's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Linked brakes might be good for beginners and idiots but will degrade an experienced riders ability to use the brakes properly in some circumstances.
Complete hogwash. I have an FJR and Super Tenere, both have great, linked brakes.
__________________
'14 500 EXC, '06 R1 LE, '13 FJR, '12 XTZ12, '09 T Max
20valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #23480
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
I ride a supermoto, linked brakes would be about the worst thing ever...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #23481
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer
 
raebear's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Ely, NV
Oddometer: 123
New Multi has linked- unobtrusive, flawless- squeeze the front it activates the rear a little, activating the rear does not engage the front. And ABS can be disengaged.
__________________
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
IBA # 55298- Current; 2013 Ducati Multistrada, 2005 HD V-Rod, 2000 KTM 380 EXC- asst'd others
raebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #23482
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki View Post
I've had two bikes with linked brakes. '03 K1200RS and an '06 ST1300. Both had ABS. I found them both very acceptable and the brakes on the BMW would just about send you over the bars if you weren't careful. Aside from the complexity and the PITA to bleed, I would happily accept them in my next bike. There may be some small percentage of riders who can in a few thousandths of a second carefully modulate the front and rear brakes to stop the bike in a shorter time and distance and avert the accident. Most of us will never achieve that level of excellence and will be well served by expert engineering coming to the aid of our feeble human reaction times and less than expert coordination. This same majority may very well have their life saved by being able to grab a handful of the front brake lever and just squeeze like hell when the shit hits the fan.
There are many different types of linked brakes. Most of them use a system where the rear brake pedal actuates front and rear brakes and the front lever actuates just the front. Some of the more complex systems link both controls to both brakes. One of the main reasons for linked brakes is to help out those who didn't use or under used the front brakes. Linked brakes where introduced long before ABS. With ABS, some of the issues I have with linked brakes go away. Without ABS, they can be dangerous in some situations.

Your example of just grab a handful of front brake lever and squeeze like hell would not work well with many of the linked brake systems out there. Most are still designed to work best when both brakes are applied.

I don't know the details of Harley's system so I'll reserve judgement. In any case, I have no plans of buying a Harley so it really won't affect me.

Now where are those new killboy pics so we can get off this subject.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #23483
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Well either ?she? can't see the speedometer clearly or she should have had those raw clams for dinner last night....


Looks like she is dealing with the wonderful combo of:
- open face helmet
- prescription glasses
- windscreen she can not see over
- rain

All of this means she probably can't see crap, she does appear to have rain gear on which is kind of surprising.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #23484
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by raebear View Post
New Multi has linked- unobtrusive, flawless- squeeze the front it activates the rear a little, activating the rear does not engage the front. And ABS can be disengaged.
It's good to see that some of the bike companies "get it". I can see the benefits to this type of system.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #23485
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Nope, I'm pretty sure they are the same person... If you don't believe me, then check out one of their many internet slap fights.
they are not the same person.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #23486
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Complete hogwash. I have an FJR and Super Tenere, both have great, linked brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
I ride a supermoto, linked brakes would be about the worst thing ever...
Horses for courses!
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #23487
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer
 
cliffy109's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
There are many different types of linked brakes. Most of them use a system where the rear brake pedal actuates front and rear brakes and the front lever actuates just the front. Some of the more complex systems link both controls to both brakes. One of the main reasons for linked brakes is to help out those who didn't use or under used the front brakes. Linked brakes where introduced long before ABS. With ABS, some of the issues I have with linked brakes go away. Without ABS, they can be dangerous in some situations.
I would love to get off the subject, but you have made a generalization about linked brakes that doesn't apply to a large number of bikes out there. Since 2007, BMW has used a "semi-linked" system. In this system, if you squeeze the front brake lever, you activate the front brake plus up to 60% of the rear brake. If you also apply the rear brake pedal, you can increase the pressure on the rear up to the full 100%. If you hit the pedal only, then only the rear brake is activated. The rear pedal never activates the front brake.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #23488
NCStephen
Riding NC
 
NCStephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Hillsborough NC
Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I would love to get off the subject, but you have made a generalization about linked brakes that doesn't apply to a large number of bikes out there. Since 2007, BMW has used a "semi-linked" system. In this system, if you squeeze the front brake lever, you activate the front brake plus up to 60% of the rear brake. If you also apply the rear brake pedal, you can increase the pressure on the rear up to the full 100%. If you hit the pedal only, then only the rear brake is activated. The rear pedal never activates the front brake.
That started with BMW about 5 or so years earlier, depending upon where in the world you lived.

It is on my K12RS and I love it.

NCS
__________________
03 BMW K1200 RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750 K4
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #23489
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I would love to get off the subject, but you have made a generalization about linked brakes that doesn't apply to a large number of bikes out there. Since 2007, BMW has used a "semi-linked" system. In this system, if you squeeze the front brake lever, you activate the front brake plus up to 60% of the rear brake. If you also apply the rear brake pedal, you can increase the pressure on the rear up to the full 100%. If you hit the pedal only, then only the rear brake is activated. The rear pedal never activates the front brake.
If you go back to one of my previous posts, you'll notice that I said my comments don't apply to BMW's system. I thought only the GS had this system but if all the models have it then good for BMW. Most linked brake systems do not allow independent operation of the rear brake. Apparently BMW, Ducati, And Yamaha (on the Super Teniere) realized the problem and designed systems to fix that issue.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #23490
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
If you go back to one of my previous posts, you'll notice that I said my comments don't apply to BMW's system. I thought only the GS had this system but if all the models have it then good for BMW. Most linked brake systems do not allow independent operation of the rear brake. Apparently BMW, Ducati, And Yamaha (on the Super Teniere) realized the problem and designed systems to fix that issue.
So you just kinda hate linked brake systems, right?
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014