ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #23821
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer
 
spezjag's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I hope he never washes that seat.
Fixst.
__________________
Gary

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #23822
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Yeah not saying the MX-5 is badassed, but it is a affordable roadster with very good handling. So like you said, it is driven by cost and class rules, though I am sure if you asked many of the racers would praise the car.
Yup, I'm tracking with you. I freely admit to being a little biased against convertables in general. Probably in part because I live in Houston where we get maybe four weeks of roadster weather a year. But also because cutting off the top of a car really screws up the rigidity, and then to fix it they weld in a bunch of braces, adding weight. Why not just put (or leave) a top on the car?

I'm not a Miata hater - it's just a really small car with pretty small power - probably why it's seen as a chick car.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #23823
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Yup, I'm tracking with you. I freely admit to being a little biased against convertables in general. Probably in part because I live in Houston where we get maybe four weeks of roadster weather a year. But also because cutting off the top of a car really screws up the rigidity, and then to fix it they weld in a bunch of braces, adding weight. Why not just put (or leave) a top on the car?

I'm not a Miata hater - it's just a really small car with pretty small power - probably why it's seen as a chick car.
Miata was designed without a top. Having no roof did not compromise anything.

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #23824
joexr
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Miata was designed without a top. Having no roof did not compromise anything.

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
It's STILL a CHICK CAR.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #23825
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Miata was designed without a top. Having no roof did not compromise anything.

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
You don't need a lot of power to go fast on a twisty road, but you do need to know how to ride/drive. I think you understand but many people just don't. One of my fastest runs through Deals Gap was chasing a Miata. I finally passed him when we came up behind slower traffic.

These guys drove from Texas to drive some twisty roads:



I much prefer 2 wheels to four, but the Miata does look like fun, for a car.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #23826
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Miata was designed without a top. Having no roof did not compromise anything.

Just because you do not understand the draw of a light and nimble roadster does not mean others do not. Miatas are viewed as chick cars by people who cannot drive fast in the twisties, but can only mash the gas and go straight.

P.S. I do not own a Miata but I want one because I love going quickly in the twisty stuff. YMMV.
Really? Wow, OK. Clearly I'm confused, though I guess I often am. Quoting Car and Driver Best Handling Car for Less Than $40,000:

"Everyone, including the Cayman Dynamics staff, commented on the Miata’s structural rigidity or, rather, its lack thereof. We expect some flutter in an open-top car, and this tightly wound group of  hard-top peers cast the Miata’s floppy structure in extra-stark relief. The loudest and most damning complaints, though, were not ­specifically about structure but instead concerned the Miata’s inconsistent steering response and its copious amount of  body roll."

Better yet, read the article yourself: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-handling-car-for-less-than-40000-370z-vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature

I guess like me, they are confused about cars without roofs not compromising anything. And as to my not understanding the draw of light and nimble cars, albeit not a roadster or especially light, my daily driver is a 135. I already said that I'm not a Miata hater. You're certainly right about one thing though, my mileage does vary.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #23827
225
Adventurer
 
225's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: New Orleans
Oddometer: 94
In 2006, when I first went to the Gap, a pickup truck passed me because I was so slow. Different story now.

But I know a guy who goes places on a supermoto with pilot powers that most adv guys on here say they can't go on a adv bike.

Where are you Banning C.????
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #23828
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer
 
J Banning's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
In 2006, when I first went to the Gap, a pickup truck passed me because I was so slow. Different story now.

But I know a guy who goes places on a supermoto with pilot powers that most adv guys on here say they can't go on a adv bike.

Where are you Banning C.????
Whatever it is, I didn't do it!
__________________
CRF450R/CR500 supermoto | XR100 minimoto | GSX-R 600 trackbike | VFR800 streetbike
J Banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #23829
RDTCU
Beastly Adventurer
 
RDTCU's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
In 2006, when I first went to the Gap, a pickup truck passed me because I was so slow. Different story now.

But I know a guy who goes places on a supermoto with pilot powers that most adv guys on here say they can't go on a adv bike.

Where are you Banning C.????
Light weight helps...
RDTCU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #23830
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Really? Wow, OK. Clearly I'm confused, though I guess I often am. Quoting Car and Driver Best Handling Car for Less Than $40,000:

"Everyone, including the Cayman Dynamics staff, commented on the Miata’s structural rigidity or, rather, its lack thereof. We expect some flutter in an open-top car, and this tightly wound group of  hard-top peers cast the Miata’s floppy structure in extra-stark relief. The loudest and most damning complaints, though, were not *specifically about structure but instead concerned the Miata’s inconsistent steering response and its copious amount of  body roll."

Better yet, read the article yourself: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-handling-car-for-less-than-40000-370z-vs-evo-mustang-gt-gti-miata-mini-jcw-feature

I guess like me, they are confused about cars without roofs not compromising anything. And as to my not understanding the draw of light and nimble cars, albeit not a roadster or especially light, my daily driver is a 135. I already said that I'm not a Miata hater. You're certainly right about one thing though, my mileage does vary.
Funny, but that article found the Miata the second best handling sub-$40,000 car you can buy, beaten only by the phenomenal Evo. As a former Evo X owner I understand just why they picked that over the Miata. But an open top car with the least power of those tested only losing to a state of the art AWD system is not really supporting your argument all that well. Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.

Paebr332 screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:25 AM
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #23831
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Funny, but that article found the Miata the second best handling sub-$40,000 car you can buy, beaten only by the phenomenal Evo. As a former Ego X owner I understand just why they picked that over the Miata. But an open top car with the least power of those tested only losing to a state of the art AWD system is not really supporting your argument all that well. Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.
You used to have an Ego X (I guess that's an Evo X?) and a M5 and now you want a Miata. And the Miata, purpose built to be a roadster includes no compromises. Welcome to the internet where anything is possible.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #23832
Schatzman
I Saved Latin
 
Schatzman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Omnipresent
Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Of course, your owning a mini-Bimmer might explain your biases. I used to own a BMW as well, but mine was an M5 so I really don't understand why anyone would own a 135.


You sound like a stuck up douche bag. After reading the bikes in your profile I have concluded the following, you are a wannabe stuck up douche bag. Removing the badges from a 5 series and putting M mirrors on doesn't make it an M5.

No one in their right mind, who has at the very least driven a M5, would ever downgrade to a Miata.

Lucky for you, there is already a thread on here which discusses the Miata. I think the thread will be a perfect match for you....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=915468&page=9
__________________
Quote:
In short, life is made into a nonstop, commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy.
-Allan Bloom
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #23833
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some
 
Ray of Sunshine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: 42deg 40' 3"N 73deg 46' 54"W
Oddometer: 16,840
If I had a ban buttom

Some beyotches directly above me would be getting a 3 day time out.

Chill folks, nothing is so important.

Peace, Love, Go Ride.
__________________
For the love of Baldy, would someone please buy my bikes?

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #23834
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
None of you s are complaining about her lack of ATGATT?
The tennis shoes are not proper.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #23835
manfromthestix
Lost in Space
 
manfromthestix's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Nope.
It is the fact that (based on what i saw) he is getting the groups, he had 2 in the first stop, 2 in the second, 3 in the 3rd.
7 tickets and not one stop was on a solo rider, seemed he liked to get his in groups.
Just another fact pointing to how stupid people can be. Really? If you're in a group and the police come after you, only the last guy needs to stop (the one the cop catches up to first); everyone else can just continue down the road and pull off someplace and wait for the ticketed rider to catch up. Unless there's a herd of cops coming after you he can only physically stop one bike at a time.

Duh.
__________________
"If it doesn't blow smoke and make noise, it isn't a sport!" - radio ad for shop in Bozeman, MT
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014