Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #226
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
It was locked up because he wrecked (on the hard parts),
he didn't wreck because he locked it up
It was you then? Damn dude how much road rash did you get from that off?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #227
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg
I think he meant "running shoe"
Thanks, I'm a little slow

Pictures help
Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #228
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg
I think he meant "running shoe"
That's why I posted "Boot?" Them Minysodans sure talk funny.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #229
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I'll stand by my opinion.

BTW Bubba's tires are completly different than tires used for asphalt.

Street tires are designed so the rubber comforms to the shape of the road, this is what gives us grip and not the grooves.
+1 on Bubba - was making the point that every kind of tire is made to meet a specific purpose. Something you failed to do in your first post.

I guess you didn't read my post. Bald tires have no rubber to conform to the road and what is left isn't malleable enough to conform to a dog turd; tread or no tread.

Please stand by you opinion, but please let us know the next time you plan on riding 129 with bald tires. I think that more than a few ADV members would like to be on hand for your performance. (Make sure they are bald enough that the cord is showing. I hear that makes tires super grippy)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #230
PenGun
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 320
He fell off the bike. The bike is still doing the crashbar slide perfected by US WW1 dispatch riders who used it to stop when those old style brakes were not going to do the job.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #231
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
That's why I posted "Boot?" Them Minysodans sure talk funny.

Ya sure, You bettcha
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #232
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvate
http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+mot...-of-the-dragon

just my .002

My grammer so sucketh on a fine friday afternoon, time to go for a ride :)

I love the comment "the guy hit a "proof" in the road, which caused him to lose control"...

That is indeed proof.

Good thread. I for one know I am not ready for the dragon. The road itself does not worry me...I would love to ride it closed off to everyone but me. But it's not a good learning lab and not cool to endanger others. Plus, I know there are others of my skill level who ARE riding the dragon...scary. I have plenty of time to build my skill to a point where I can deal with that monster. It is something to work up to, not something to do just because you have a bike.

Hopefully the original subject of this thread was just having a bad moment at a very bad time, and can learn from his mistake and all the comments here.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #233
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

Good thread. I for one know I am not ready for the dragon. The road itself does not worry me...I would love to ride it closed off to everyone but me. But it's not a good learning lab and not cool to endanger others. Plus, I know there are others of my skill level who ARE riding the dragon...scary. I have plenty of time to build my skill to a point where I can deal with that monster.
You are not missing a thing by not riding the dragon. You've got better roads in your back yard. GA 60 & GA 180 are world class. Run Wolf Pen Gap road a couple of times and the dragon will be a breeze. Plus you have the added benefit of being able to run in to Dahlonega and having lunch at Caruso's.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #234
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I love the comment "the guy hit a "proof" in the road, which caused him to lose control"...

That is indeed proof.

Good thread. I for one know I am not ready for the dragon. The road itself does not worry me...I would love to ride it closed off to everyone but me. But it's not a good learning lab and not cool to endanger others. Plus, I know there are others of my skill level who ARE riding the dragon...scary. I have plenty of time to build my skill to a point where I can deal with that monster. It is something to work up to, not something to do just because you have a bike.

Hopefully the original subject of this thread was just having a bad moment at a very bad time, and can learn from his mistake and all the comments here.
Gumbeaux, I think you're overestimating how "scary" the Dragon is for those of us who ride within our limits. I've only been riding for 6 months and I'd do the Dragon in a heartbeat if I were in the neighborhood.

Have you ridden the backroads that go around Lake Rabun/Lake Burton yet?
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #235
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,751
Now that we are on the subject of tires....I wonder what oil he was using.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #236
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf

Shhhhhhh.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #237
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot, what others said was just cruel
this looks just plain foolish.
Point is no one has his point of view here. Is he passing the bike (shadow....Harley ?) calculated a squid hugging the line in the opposit direction doesn't use much of the road in a right hand corner or is he just trying to avoid all the fucking people standing in the road taking pictures ?...

until I see a picture taken from behind the guy looking up the road I'm not passing judgement.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #238
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
Gumbeaux, I think you're overestimating how "scary" the Dragon is for those of us who ride within our limits. I've only been riding for 6 months and I'd do the Dragon in a heartbeat if I were in the neighborhood.

yes...and GA 60/180 mentioned earlier are on my regular riding route these days.

It's not the road itself...it's the crowds...for the same reason I get up at 0 dark 30 and ride up in the GA 60/180 area. I can't stand people coming the other direction in my lane, and I don't want the racers running up my tailpipe. EVERY TIME I have been on 60 or Wolf Pen on a good weather weekend, some version or another of this happens multiple times. I know this bothers me and takes me out of my zone...so I know to try and stay out of that situation. My idea of fun is the GA forest service roads at dawn when everyone else is sleeping. I know, motorcycling is inherently dangerous...I can handle that...but I can also only control other people's antics to a certain extent, so I choose to stay away from Dragon-like places.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #239
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber
Shhhhhhh.
Haha. Sorry. I won't divulge any more secrets.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #240
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
I'll just draw you a picture (again).

This isn't missing a shift, or going a little wide in a corner or being a bit unsmooth.

This is just plain bad riding. Period. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it.

If you accept that this kind of stuff "just happens" then you are a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road with you. I suggest you give up riding before you make your wife, and perhap's someone else's wife/husband a widow/widower too.

Hang up (whatever it is you are paying attention to besides RIDING) and ride.

Here is my read on what happened. I have been to the Dragon several times. That is a comparatively wide turn that has reasonably good sight lines. The traffic coming toward the camera is traveling at about 10-15MPH hence the very upright posture. I suspect that there were some slow moving vehicles in front of them and a lot of activity on the side of the road. Ricky Racer on the sport bike is traveling about 30-35 MPH. The ADV rider adjusted his speed to match the traffic conditions which was the right thing to do. He evaluated that Ricky Racer was already well set intio his line. He gave the roadside activity a generous berth while trying to give Ricky Racer a safe berth as well. At his speed and with my knowledge of that turn he most assuredly had the time and sight lines to evaluate the situation and exercise the option I laid out. I did not excuse his crossing the centerline, but to suggest it's an such an egregious sin is probably not fair or accurate. In this photo it did not create a highly dangerous situation.

I know of any number of places where motorists of all types routinely (50-60% of the vehicles) stray across the centerline in certain curves. I don't do it routinely. I have done it intentionally when I thought it was in the best overall interest of safety, and I have done it accidentally. It happens and shit happens. In my glass house I don't cast stones. Without the full benefit of knowing the totality of the circumstances perhaps you should do the same.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote