ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #24241
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrphotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: KBR27
Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
That could be in the WTF Picture Thread.
Sweet car tires
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #24242
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
There is beer served at Deals gap, see link

http://www.dealsgap.com/restaurant.htm
Actually that is in Swain County which is wet. Graham County (Robbinsville) is suppose to be the only dry county in North Carolina but there are four places where you can buy alcohol in the county.
Tapoca Lodge, Snowbird Mountain Lodge, Blue Water Mountain Lodge, and Fontana Village Resort all serve alcohol.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #24243
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Actually that is in Swain County which is wet. Graham County (Robbinsville) is suppose to be the only dry county in North Carolina but there are four places where you can buy alcohol in the county.
Tapoca Lodge, Snowbird Mountain Lodge, Blue Water Mountain Lodge, and Fontana Village Resort all serve alcohol.
I was once told by the owner of the Snowbird Mountain Lodge the loophole they use to serve alcohol -


Tennis courts.

Pretty strange connection if you ask me.
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'14 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #24244
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post


This is the location on 143 where the fatality occurred. I away check down off the bank because one day I found a guy and his Ducati down there. Luckily he was not seriously hurt. The other day a lady on one of the new BMW sport bikes went off there and the bike was totaled but she was just bruised up a bit. It is a bad corner but marked in both directions with 25 MPH Curve Warning signs. Maybe I will put up a cross there.

We pulled a Harley out of there not long ago. No injury but the bike was banged up pretty bad but still ride-able. He said he had to lay 'er down.
There are some pretty tight turns in that section (before, or after Thunder Mountain, depending on which direction you are headed). Easy to suck someone in after the more sweeping turns on the Cherohala.

Oh, and the cemetary road is a fun little dual-sport loop.
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'14 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #24245
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some
 
Ray of Sunshine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: 42deg 40' 3"N 73deg 46' 54"W
Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
"Uhhhh.....Honey, did we remember to get the motorcycles on the way out the door?"

Daft Punk Tour followers.
__________________
For the love of Baldy, would someone please buy my bikes?

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #24246
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some
 
Ray of Sunshine's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: 42deg 40' 3"N 73deg 46' 54"W
Oddometer: 16,855
[QUOTE=theshnizzle;22308543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
"the trailer was dragged in an inverted orientation"

You're not from around here, are ya ?

I don't speak hillbilly. ......
English! Do you speak english?"
__________________
For the love of Baldy, would someone please buy my bikes?

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #24247
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Seth650's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: N. E. Pa.
Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
What would you do?

Try to avoid hitting the missing paw further on?
__________________
2011 WR250R 2009 DR650
Seth650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #24248
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
He said he had to lay 'er down.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #24249
RogerShakenbak
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Actually that is in Swain County which is wet. Graham County (Robbinsville) is suppose to be the only dry county in North Carolina but there are four places where you can buy alcohol in the county.
Tapoca Lodge, Snowbird Mountain Lodge, Blue Water Mountain Lodge, and Fontana Village Resort all serve alcohol.
Swain County is also dry. Within the Bryson City city limits is wet. Also, the reason you are able to get liquor/beer/wine at all of those mentioned locations as well as Fontana Village and even DGMR is their "resort" status. An establishment designated as a resort in Swain or Graham counties can sell. To be qualified as a resort, an establishment must have a combination of at least two of the following amenities: swimming pool, horse stables, tennis courts.

The rich folks wanted their booze.
RogerShakenbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #24250
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
There are some pretty tight turns in that section (before, or after Thunder Mountain, depending on which direction you are headed). Easy to suck someone in after the more sweeping turns on the Cherohala.

Oh, and the cemetary road is a fun little dual-sport loop.
The turns are well marked by 25 and 15 MPH road signs. It is hard to make a road idiot proof.
Oh and there are plenty of crashes on the Cherohala.
I see a lot of riders usually in a group here that appear to have no experience going around a curve. You see then heading up to the Cherohala and wonder if they will make it to Tellico Plains.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #24251
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerShakenbak View Post
Swain County is also dry. Within the Bryson City city limits is wet. Also, the reason you are able to get liquor/beer/wine at all of those mentioned locations as well as Fontana Village and even DGMR is their "resort" status. An establishment designated as a resort in Swain or Graham counties can sell. To be qualified as a resort, an establishment must have a combination of at least two of the following amenities: swimming pool, horse stables, tennis courts.

The rich folks wanted their booze.
You need to tell ABC NC that Swain is dry.
http://abc.nc.gov/faq/category.aspx
Q: How many counties in North Carolina are dry?
There is currently one dry county: Graham

NC Statute that allows liquor sales in Graham County is at
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...S_18B-101.html
(14b) "Tourism resort" means:
a. Any restaurant and lodging facility, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food, beverage, lodging, and meeting facilities to travelers and tourists and featuring one or more golf courses and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities, or
b. Any restaurant, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food and beverage to travelers and tourists and featuring an equestrian center and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities.
Receipts from sporting and recreational activities of a tourism resort shall be at least twenty-five percent (25%) of total gross receipts. Receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages shall not exceed fifty percent (50%) of total gross receipts. A tourism resort open to the public shall advertise at least quarterly in a regional or national travel or sports industry publication, or in the State travel guide published by the North Carolina Department of Commerce.

I read the statute to say that you must have a golf course and two tennis courts or an equestrian center and two tennis courts. There are no golf courses in Graham County and what defines an equestrian center, a horse stall?
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC 2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB hard tail bobber
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A Z50 clone monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #24252
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
You need to tell ABC NC that Swain is dry.
http://abc.nc.gov/faq/category.aspx
Q: How many counties in North Carolina are dry?
There is currently one dry county: Graham

NC Statute that allows liquor sales in Graham County is at
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...S_18B-101.html
(14b) "Tourism resort" means:
a. Any restaurant and lodging facility, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food, beverage, lodging, and meeting facilities to travelers and tourists and featuring one or more golf courses and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities, or
b. Any restaurant, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food and beverage to travelers and tourists and featuring an equestrian center and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities.
Receipts from sporting and recreational activities of a tourism resort shall be at least twenty-five percent (25%) of total gross receipts. Receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages shall not exceed fifty percent (50%) of total gross receipts. A tourism resort open to the public shall advertise at least quarterly in a regional or national travel or sports industry publication, or in the State travel guide published by the North Carolina Department of Commerce.

I read the statute to say that you must have a golf course and two tennis courts or an equestrian center and two tennis courts. There are no golf courses in Graham County and what defines an equestrian center, a horse stall?
I guess the explains why Fontana has stables...

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #24253
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer
 
Chivvalry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
You need to tell ABC NC that Swain is dry.
http://abc.nc.gov/faq/category.aspx
Q: How many counties in North Carolina are dry?
There is currently one dry county: Graham

NC Statute that allows liquor sales in Graham County is at
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...S_18B-101.html
(14b) "Tourism resort" means:
a. Any restaurant and lodging facility, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food, beverage, lodging, and meeting facilities to travelers and tourists and featuring one or more golf courses and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities, or
b. Any restaurant, whether public or private, owned and operated as a resort property offering food and beverage to travelers and tourists and featuring an equestrian center and two or more tennis courts along with other recreational and sporting activities.
Receipts from sporting and recreational activities of a tourism resort shall be at least twenty-five percent (25%) of total gross receipts. Receipts from the sale of alcoholic beverages shall not exceed fifty percent (50%) of total gross receipts. A tourism resort open to the public shall advertise at least quarterly in a regional or national travel or sports industry publication, or in the State travel guide published by the North Carolina Department of Commerce.

I read the statute to say that you must have a golf course and two tennis courts or an equestrian center and two tennis courts. There are no golf courses in Graham County and what defines an equestrian center, a horse stall?
What an incredibly stupid f*cking law... I never fail to be amazed at politicians and lawyers.
__________________
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
USAF - '86-'99
2008 FJR1300
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #24254
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lookout Mountain - above Golden, CO
Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
What an incredibly stupid f*cking law... I never fail to be amazed at politicians and lawyers.
Me too, and I are one (lawyer - NOT a politician). You tell them and tell them that this new super duper law is, well, not very bright. And they tell you they want you to write it. And you finally say "Well, stupid ain't illegal" so you write it they way they want it....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #24255
1-3-2-4
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: bangor, pa
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
What an incredibly stupid f*cking law... I never fail to be amazed at politicians and pastors.
There, fixed that for you.
1-3-2-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014