User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #25126
fxrjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:

so no, most cops don't give a shit how much revenue comes from tickets as it does not affect us. We do care about how safe the roads are. We do care about how safe the neighborhoods are. We do care about how much crime is reduced. We do care about how well we are doing our job, because that is why we took this job. And no, i don't care that you probably don't believe anything i just typed.

acab
fxrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #25127
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Virginia balanced the budget by reducing spending. Fines for tickets written by the State Police go to the Virginia Literary Fund that goes towards funding the public school system by law. So contrary to the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist blog you linked to, Virginia did not write a bunch of tickets in March just to make their budget by June. Do they have targeted weekends where they saturate the roads for a high presence to control traffic? Yep. NHTSA has Federal grant money to offer local cops to help keep the highways safe, so they spend Fed money to do what they cannot afford to do otherwise. Do some small jurisdictions with so little tax revenue depend on ticket revenue? Yep. Those are in the minority. I had local riders accuse me of just being a revenuer for the county. So I looked it up. My county gets less than 1/3 of 1% of its' revenue from all court fines, not just traffic tickets, but all court fines. So they would not even notice if we wrote 30% fewer or more tickets. There is absolutely no push to write tickets for revenue. If you are working one of the NHTSA grants, they want you to write tickets to prove you are working, and not sleeping. But as far as those stat go, a warning and a cite are both stats. So 20 warning and 20 tickets both prove you are working and not fucking off at the coffee shop.

So no, most cops don't give a shit how much revenue comes from tickets as it does not affect us. We do care about how safe the roads are. We do care about how safe the neighborhoods are. We do care about how much crime is reduced. We do care about how well we are doing our job, because that is why we took this job. And no, I don't care that you probably don't believe anything I just typed.

I like this post.

The less we trust the people we choose to have enforce the rules for us the less respect they will show to us. We do ourselves no favored by badmouthing the police. The cop who pulls us over may not be a rider, or have heard our comments against the police, but he may work with one who has.

This goes both ways!
The people we put into a position to keep is safe must earn the trust we give to them. We give them the trust first, then they earn it, which is contrary to how it normally works, thus the trust earned carries a much greater value.

We hold those that we put in a position above us with great respect, but then demand the very best of them.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #25128
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not everywhere.

Jim
thats to bad IMHO it takes the guess work out of when not to pass for some idiots

specially when they use the double and alternate the solid letting only one side at a time pass that eliminates at least the double passing head on scenario
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #25129
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quota

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
So you were never given a ticket quota?

Nope! My supervisors told me I could write as many as I wanted to.

Seriously, I never was told to write tickets or that I should write a certain amount within a given period. We were assigned patrol areas and instructed to look for specific violations based on complaints by residences or due to an increase in accidents in certain locations.
I was told once by a supervisor to go talk to a fellow for going too fast in a congested area. I went and wrote him a warning. When I got back the supervisor asked me "did you write him a ticket"? I told him no, I wrote a warning. He said " he should have gotten a ticket"?
I told him, "you should have gone and made the stop and written the ticket if you thought he needed one". I got some of my highest evaluations from him.
If you do your job you will write tickets. Too many people doing stupid stuff not to run across them. I personally disliked writing tickets. If I stopped someone and the situation allowed after we got the why, where and when all handled you were on your way with a verbal or written warning. Always felt better getting back in the car after positive interaction.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #25130
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
So you were never given a ticket quota?

I spent about 7 years in the traffic enforcement unit....it was my JOB to write tickets. I concentrated on school zones, handicap parking violators, and expired tags. We didn't have a quota, but you were expected to show SOME productivity for the 8 hours pay your earned each day.

As a general rule, I would write about 20 violations a day without being an ass. I didn't jack with the folks trying to get to work in the morning, unless they were driving like absolute idiots. I know what it's like to be running late...I didn't sit just inside of a "reduced speed limit" sign and nail folks that didn't immediately slow down to the new "lower" limit. But school zones? No break.....ever. If I got you speeding in a school zone (or a construction zone with Workers Present), you got a ticket. Period.

I was one of the few guys in that unit that never had a complaint filed against him.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #25131
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
I If I got you speeding in a school zone (or a construction zone with Workers Present), you got a ticket. Period..
how much over? 1? 2? 5? 10? THere is a school nearby that has a posted 50mph before the school, then posted 20 in front of the school and then 30 after the school. What they should be teaching the kids, is NOT TO RUN INTO THE STREET. I understand that we need to protect the children. Because they are not smart enough to stay on the sidewalk to save their own lives. If the speed limit was 30mph and we actually taught the children to walk on the sidewalk and stay out of the road where there are large metal things called cars that can hurt them. sheesh.

/rant
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #25132
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
also they write bs tickets to raise revenue.
Mmmmhmmmm.

If I write a ticket that goes uncontested, the city gets $13 of the fine and court costs. The bulk of the $133 fine / costs goes to the state, and the next biggest bulk of it goes to the court itself, which is county run. Smaller amounts are directed into various state mandated funds for driver education, seat belts, EMS, etc.

If the ticket is contested, the city loses money, as the measly $13 they might make if the case is ultimately won in court is canceled out by the cost of my overtime for the court appearance(s) and the cost to prosecute the case.

Having said that, our city did clear (after all court and overtime expenses relating to citations were figured up) a whopping $2500 last year in ticket revenue.

Clearly it's all about the benjamins.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #25133
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Killboy failure Dragon Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
how much over? 1? 2? 5? 10? THere is a school nearby that has a posted 50mph before the school, then posted 20 in front of the school and then 30 after the school. What they should be teaching the kids, is NOT TO RUN INTO THE STREET. I understand that we need to protect the children. Because they are not smart enough to stay on the sidewalk to save their own lives. If the speed limit was 30mph and we actually taught the children to walk on the sidewalk and stay out of the road where there are large metal things called cars that can hurt them. sheesh.rn

/rant
Darned kids! (Shaking my virtual fist)

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #25134
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
... Interesting bits....

then this:

So no, most cops don't give a shit how much revenue comes from tickets as it does not affect us. We do care about how safe the roads are.
So writing tickets makes a road safer ? How exactly ?

Maybe you meant something else entirely?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #25135
Chivvalry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
So writing tickets makes a road safer ? How exactly ?

Maybe you meant something else entirely?
You think that not enforcing traffic laws would make the roads safer? I'm not sure I understand why you would think that.
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #25136
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,502
getting drunks, druggies, cell phone texters, speeders in residential areas, sign light runners, right of way violators, defective equipment like no brake lights(happened to me, damn trailer had a short) passing with out clear view to complete the pass, all make the ride safer. Speeding on open road, not so much.

Not a LEO

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #25137
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
getting drunks, druggies, cell phone texters, speeders in residential areas, sign light runners, right of way violators, defective equipment like no brake lights(happened to me, damn trailer had a short) passing with out clear view to complete the pass, all make the ride safer. Speeding on open road, not so much.

Not a LEO

Rod
Counter point: making a clean, safe pass, with plenty of visibility on a motorcycle , over a double yellow and getting a reckless driving ticked does NOT

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #25138
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
A recent trend in trafic enforcement concerns me. I see more and more cops hiding by legal passing zones in the mountains and writing speeding tickets to those who are using these limited safe passing areas. I understand that the letter of the law states that you can't exceed the speedlimit to pass someome, but common sense says you should spend as litttle time as possible in the oncoming trafic lane.
I know for a fact that this practice has encouraged many riders to make a riskier pass on a double yellow with less visibility, rather than wait for an upcoming passing zone, because the risk of a speeding ticket is percieved to be lower.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #25139
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
A recent trend in trafic enforcement concerns me. I see more and more cops hiding by legal passing zones in the mountains and writing speeding tickets to those who are using these limited safe passing areas. I understand that the letter of the law states that you can't exceed the speedlimit to pass someome, but common sense says you should spend as litttle time as possible in the oncoming trafic lane.
I know for a fact that this practice has encouraged many riders to make a riskier pass on a double yellow with less visibility, rather than wait for an upcoming passing zone, because the risk of a speeding ticket is percieved to be lower.
The OPP in Ontario set up nearly ALL their traps on secondary highways (like Hwy 7) in the passing zones for this very reason.

No one can convince me that cops enforcing speeding is about safety. Certainly not when every cop I know routinely speeds - they even refer to their off duty marked clothing as "radar proof" for chrissakes.

It is obviously about the money. Maybe not to the little cop shop in Arkansas but it all goes into government coffers.

I'd be interested in reading any independent study that shows that speed enforcement, in and of itself, has reduced accidents. I suspect the latter is more likely, for the reasons noted above. Slow traffic infuriates traffic, leads to traffic vigilantism and risk taking.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #25140
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
The helmet may look to big, but the only thing they do for youth size small is throw bigger pads inside. My daughters first helmet looked huge, but it fit her head.
Not entirely true. HJC makes a youth model now with a smaller shell. Works great for my 9 yo son.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote