Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #2521
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
I completely agree that it makes no sense to seek out curves, then deliberately straighten them out. Why do that?

That is, in fact, the object of the racing line.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #2522
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
There are plenty of times when its ok to cross that double yellow.

I think that a sweepinghand gesture toward da rulez and then intimating that breaking them is somehow going to erode the bedrock of our civilization is entertaining though.

When speed overtakes sight distance...its not ok. Use prudent judgement and then you are guided by principle, so much more sound than rules, policy, etc.

I'm in overall agreement...but "all or never"? Hmm, yeah...no. its an Fn painted line.
When put like that I agree!

I pass on the double yellow often, but only with a good sight line, and usually on a straight.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #2523
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
That is, in fact, the object of the racing line.
...when done on a racing track. No?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #2524
tuffgong
Bon Pilote

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
I completely agree that it makes no sense to seek out curves, then deliberately straighten them out. Why do that?

What surprises me is your vehemence, given your location. Maybe things have changed in France over the last few decades, but back when I was driving there, 1970's and 80's, it was standard procedure to cut into the opposite lane, sight lines and traffic allowing. (This was on the other side of the country from you- 01 Ain and 74 Hte Savoie.) Everyone did it, it was expected and not a a subject of controversy. In a car it affords a more comfortable ride for the passengers and lets the nut at the wheel pretend he's a rally driver.

Nonetheless, I agree with your basic points.
Chief,It is still done with regularity here in France ,still to no purpose whatsoever and still making errors in unnecessary judgements,car and bike riders still being surprised to find people actually occupying their designated lane whilst they trip over into oncoming lanes. I appreciate your understanding and your later comments about the track and pretending. To address others,speeding is primarily my action and concerns me only,relatively speaking. Go as fast as you want and can,just do it in your lane. Density is not a virtue,no matter how blatantly displayed. As listed ad nauseum,passing and hazard avoidance form a small niche of necessity.Straightening out a curve or dallying down a straightaway on the wrong side of the road because you have determined no one is coming is silly,dangerous and unnecessary.Speeding is unrelated to this. Passing is unrelated to this.Greater or lesser lean angles is unrelated to this.Setting a race pace is impossible as there is no race. Straightening curves to the point of lane intrusion is unsafe and counterproductive .Basically,"you're not the boss of me" and "I can if I want to" is the reasoning for traveling on the wrong side of the road,at least as represented in this thread.

tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #2525
tuffgong
Bon Pilote

Oddometer: 136
I find many things moto related to be silly.Much of those things,because of my line of work,I am exposed to and forced to comply/participate with,regardless of my viewpoint. Chaps and novelty helmets etc. ,loud ass pipes on any non racetrack motorcycle,lowered/stretched bikes on the street to name a few.But that is just me bitching. Any real damage to me or motorcycling is in the abstract and subject to my personal interpretation. I could give a shit about speeding as it relates to sport riding/driving. To each his own.Personally I go as fast as I can,all the time,based on conditions.In certain conditions,30mph can be a reckless and death defying activity,and I go slower than that.In others,130 is a relatively safe and enjoyable activity. Actually running a constant 45 all the way through the Gap is an impressive feat(but only in your own lane,otherwise it is squidly and stupid and unimpressive).It is all relative and mostly the individual's business. If asked,or I see a discussion on these matters ,I will contribute my two cents and move along. But this notion that arbitrarily crossing the center line,based on the idea that "I can see better from over there",or "I could see no one was coming",or "what's the difference between that and speeding",and" it's just a a painted line", and all the other horseshit reasons given does clearly and obsessively roast my ass. It is my fucking lane.Keep your ass out of it.Ride standing on your head for all I care. But do it in your lane.Stay out of mine and my friends who are going the opposite direction from you and are in the opposite lane from you. Do not make my safety and well being rely upon your ability to discern if it is ok at a particular moment in time to go the wrong way. Pass and get the hell back over. If you can't go fast in the twelve feet awarded you,do not borrow pavement from me,instead slow down or get better. If you fuck up(as we all have) decide why and stop doing it. YimYaps trying to kill me by driving with their head up their ass is a daily part of riding. Riding with my own head up my ass has been known to occur. Having other riders present themselves on my side of the road is something I have experienced way too often. I look out for you dumbasses and run my line aware that you imbeciles are on the road with me(this is also the answer to reduced sight lines,take the outside and keep awake,not wander over to the wrong side for a better look).But looking up and seeing your wide eyed oh shit(or is that me in my visor???) eyeballs coming at me is not something I feel the need to approve of or tolerate. I have ranted to no end(and clearly still am) and have yet to hear any benefit which compensates for the act of lane intrusion. A large number of the bike to bike collisions seen on these roads and pages are because of someone purposefully crossing the center line. By accident or on purpose,it serves no good,leads to wrecks,hard feelings and large amounts of anal intake of vinyl. As the old saying goes,we all get half of the road,some assholes just cut their half out of the middle....As I stated earlier; basically,"you're not the boss of me" and "I can if I want to" is the reasoning for traveling on the wrong side of the road,at least as represented in this thread.Wonderful.

tuffgong screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 03:53 AM
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #2526
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
I find many things moto related to be silly.............As I stated earlier; basically,"you're not the boss of me" and "I can if I want to" is the reasoning for traveling on the wrong side of the road,at least as represented in this thread.Wonderful.

So, I'll just read the first and last sentence from those blocks of alphabet graffiti and wait for another picture.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #2527
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
So, I'll just read the first and last sentence from those blocks of alphabet graffiti and wait for another picture.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #2528
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,096
Don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY think...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #2529
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
I find many things moto related to be silly.....
I see where you're coming from (pun intended.) However, from your post, it would seem that you spend an significant amount of riding time on US 129. As such, you are, IMO, part of the problem. That road, in particular, is a bad example of when it is and is not safe to cross the center line because so many people riding just that few miles of that road do so when it is not safe. That does NOT make the act of using the entire width of the road always unsafe or always stupid.

Somebody traveling 10 mph faster or slower than you is also going to end up crowding into your "personal" bit of road with potentially dangerous consequences. If they do it unsafely it is just as wrong as coming onto "your" side of the road from the opposite direction. If they can do it safely or you or they opt to wait until it is safe, it is again the same as someone crossing the center line when and where it is safe to do so.

Just a thought: A bit like filtering, use of the "wrong" side of the road for certain maneuvers seems to be much better accepted in Europe.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #2530
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Is this thing ever going to get back to some epic crash pics?
4power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #2531
RocketMan
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
i wonder if the camera's have something to do with some of the crappy driving. only time i scraped on the dragon was when i notice the guy taking my pic.
If not that then the idea of going there and getting your picture shot as you zoom thru the corners to show everyone how fast you drove it might!

Seriously, one does have to wonder how many push it just for the opportunity to have that shot taken, while that might hold only for some; one can't help wonder to what extent that has become a contributing factor.

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #2532
RocketMan
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
?Do you seek out one way streets and make a quick determination of sightlines and oncoming traffic and then go down them the wrong way?
Well actually..... back in the day (mid 70's) while working as a motorcycle courier in DC we did go down one way alleys the wrong way on occasion, time was money on that job, more runs=more pay. Now was it smart? Not hardly! But we were young and foolish and as we all know, in your 20's you are invincible and death takes a holiday.....then you grow up!

but other than that, yeah, I pretty much agree with ya....

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #2533
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
A public road is not a race course.

I love lines like this... B/c, if it was, it'd be a damn site SAFER.

"Racers" warn those behind them of impending danger ahead...

Most MC riders and steering wheel holders? Uhm, no.

Doing that means they're cognizant of their surroundings... And have the foresight to try and help others realize that.

Most MC riders and cagers? Uhm, no.

"Racers" also do an almost unheard of thing called concentrate, often harder the more they're "in the moment"...

While most other MC riders and cagers are busy with their iPhone...

"Racers" are also not selfish and baring the last curve of the last lap will let another around to keep from taking them both out...

Something selfish MC riders and cagers feel they're entitled to do, when you're on their road...

"Racers" do it in the right gear...

Uhm, ever seen a rider in shorts, a tee and flip flops?

And a "racer", when presented with faster traffic approaching from the rear, isn't startled and hitting the brakes isn't their first reaction...

The list can go on, but I doubt since it challenges the status quo, that you or anyone else cares how safe the road would be, if it were a race track.

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 02:04 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #2534
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #2535
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,036
she needs her Lorenzo "around the outside" logo helmet on!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

geg screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 01:04 PM Reason: no point in posting pic twice....
geg is online now   Reply With Quote