ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #25381
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Me either, but if someone ever takes me out in a corner like that... I'm gonna come back from the dead and haunt his ass!!
Just do your best to get through the windshield headfirst
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #25382
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post


FFwd to 3:26

Like here fo example, can't really see but it looks like both were trying to use the center of the road.
Yep,that'll do it....

Ducati was on his own shoulder at impact. No yellow lines, but common sense would dictate that if you can't see around the corner, you should be on your side of the road...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #25383
KX50002
NooB, my ass
 
KX50002's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NEPA
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Just do your best to get through the windshield headfirst

I'll drink to that!!
__________________
SOTGMOTT Some Of The Gear Most Of The Time
KX50002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #25384
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer
 
Rockmuncher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Mini Fail!
My daughter had a Mini. All they do is fail.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #25385
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie
 
chippertheripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: s.e. mass
Oddometer: 1,950
^ his record hilding status should be protested. He probably cut that course too.
__________________
Cliff's Cycles KTM Woodcraft-CFM
LRRS 560ex (retired), PSTR b-vet 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #25386
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 7,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post

Go shake down those bicyclists that don't pay insurance, road or wheel taxes, tags & registration, and think they DON'T have to stop at stop signs.
(I have to and my bike is no different tho it makes a "brub, brub, brub" sound)


attaboy!

Gonna tax my feet next for walking?
I paid tax on my shoes when I bought them, the same as I did with my bicycle.

Stay on your own fucking side of the road.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #25387
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
^ his record hilding status should be protested. He probably cut that course too.
How do you cut corners on a drag strip?
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #25388
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie
 
chippertheripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: s.e. mass
Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
How do you cut corners on a drag strip?
Doh!
Given the little zoomy car, I assumed he was racing something other than a str8 line.
__________________
Cliff's Cycles KTM Woodcraft-CFM
LRRS 560ex (retired), PSTR b-vet 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #25389
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 7,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
How do you cut corners on a drag strip?
I'm sure some of the folks in the thread could figure out how.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #25390
aprilian
Can I change this?
 
aprilian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Gonna tax my feet next for walking?
I paid tax on my shoes when I bought them, the same as I did with my bicycle.
What exactly is your point since we all paid tax on our motor bikes and cars just like you paid on your shoes and pedal bike?
__________________
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing.
aprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #25391
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 7,966
Motor vehicles are licensed.
Human powered are not.

I don't make the rules, contact your local representative.
I'm sure they will be happy to make more laws and collect more taxes so they will have more of our money to spend.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #25392
daveinva
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Washington, D.C.
Oddometer: 519
Just a minor note: most every argument in these parts about what a rider/driver can see through their particular Dragon corner are made from a *single* perspective. But what about what the other guy can see, from his lane?

Meaning, just because *you* think you can see fine through your corner doesn't mean that the oncoming traffic has the same wonderful view.

When I ride-- let alone drive-- I don't like to spook anyone. Not myself, not other drivers/riders. Even when riding spiritedly through the twisties, I attempt to position myself in the lane to safely give myself the most visual information I can obtain while also ensuring that I safely give other drivers as much information as they can expect.

It's true that other drivers will see me even better if I'm right in front of them in their lane... but people don't expect that, and many people don't react too well to surprises. I don't treat any other vehicle on the road as predictable, but I like to "stack the deck" when it comes to making their behavior as close to predictable as possible.

When you're riding in their lane, you know you're riding in their lane. They, however, don't have that information, so you're guaranteed to surprise them, and force them into making potentially poor decisions.

I'm not the best rider on Earth, but even if I was, I will never have any idea how good the OTHER guy or gal is.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #25393
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post


FFwd to 3:26

Like here fo example, can't really see but it looks like both were trying to use the center of the road.
ATGATT dude walked away from the crash. I see other other rider's beanie helmet bouncing down the road after the impact but he appeared to be moving. I wondered if he was badly injured?
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #25394
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Just a minor note: most every argument in these parts about what a rider/driver can see through their particular Dragon corner are made from a *single* perspective. But what about what the other guy can see, from his lane?

Meaning, just because *you* think you can see fine through your corner doesn't mean that the oncoming traffic has the same wonderful view.

When I ride-- let alone drive-- I don't like to spook anyone. Not myself, not other drivers/riders. Even when riding spiritedly through the twisties, I attempt to position myself in the lane to safely give myself the most visual information I can obtain while also ensuring that I safely give other drivers as much information as they can expect.

It's true that other drivers will see me even better if I'm right in front of them in their lane... but people don't expect that, and many people don't react too well to surprises. I don't treat any other vehicle on the road as predictable, but I like to "stack the deck" when it comes to making their behavior as close to predictable as possible.

When you're riding in their lane, you know you're riding in their lane. They, however, don't have that information, so you're guaranteed to surprise them, and force them into making potentially poor decisions.

I'm not the best rider on Earth, but even if I was, I will never have any idea how good the OTHER guy or gal is.
Very good post and points!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #25395
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,960
how about this?

stay in YOUR lane.

if you need to cut the other lane, you're going faster than you can navigate your lane, which means faster than you can safely ride.

If the road were only your lane, you'd be off the pavement and in the woods.

You are ONLY entitled to ride in your lane, not the other one, so ride like your lane is the only thing there to ride on.

The guy you freak out by cutting into his lane might chase your ass down and create a situation whereby you can't enjoy the rest of the day/week/forever.

just sayin


oh yeah, now I get all the badasses telling me how they'll do whatever they want, whenever they want and to hell with everybody else on the planet, etc etc etc
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014