ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #25411
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Who in their right mind would think that those drivers aren't a very real danger to others and their property?

Don't want a ticket? Don't drive like an asshat in front cops or cameras, or better yet, just don't drive like an asshat.

There are plenty of cases around here of idiots posting Youtube vids of their stupidity on the street and getting a knock at the door by a deputy or trooper a couple weeks later. How would this be any different, other than the sharing of the stupidity wasn't voluntary?
This is the stupidity thats ruining this country.Because some people are stupid everyone gets treated like criminals. That camera picture is one millisecond of an action. Maybe you go around an oil spill or dead carcass in the road and you just happen to be in a camera shot. Do you really deserve a ticket or a day off work to fight it if possible? You assholes need to think about the repurcussions of some of your posts. Better yet ,move to another country.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #25412
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
Maybe we should award points for crashes and fuck-ups like the judges with numbers in diving and gymnastic events. "Joe I do believe the judge from Sweden has awarded that High-side Harley crash a 7.5!"
And 6 of those points are because it's a Harley
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #25413
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
This is the stupidity thats ruining this country.Because some people are stupid everyone gets treated like criminals. That camera picture is one millisecond of an action. Maybe you go around an oil spill or dead carcass in the road and you just happen to be in a camera shot. Do you really deserve a ticket or a day off work to fight it if possible? You assholes need to think about the repurcussions of some of your posts. Better yet ,move to another country.
If a cop were sitting there, all three of those would have gotten tickets.

There are NO circumstances that justify those drivers being where they are in the road, obstacle, oil, dead critter, etc.
They'll write <10mph over tickets up there all day long, maybe they were just running from a loose T-rex, or a tornado, you don't know...
If you had a picture of someone beating a puppy with a baseball bat, that's just a millisecond of time, you don't know what he was doing before or after. Yeah, makes perfect sense.


I'm not advocating an new legislation or any use of taxpayer dollars, I don't like "The Man" or "Big Brother" any more than the next guy. I'm just advocating that the existing laws be enforced in situations where it's a very real danger to others. If you're a danger to yourself and others as these people are, you need a reminder not to drive like an ass, and you'll get it sooner or later. Whether that be a slap on the wrist ticket, smearing yourself across a tractor trailer grille, or living with killing a van full of kids.

As for the Youtube vids, if you're stupid enough to post illegal activity in which you're easily identifiable, you get what you deserve.
One of our maintenance guys got dinged for his 160mph jaunt down Hwy 11, which is a 55mph zone.
He was plainly visible in the video putting his helmet on and taking it off again, and his Youtube name included part of his real name.

RDTCU screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 06:50 PM
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #25414
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
If a cop were sitting there, all three of those would have gotten tickets.

There are NO circumstances that justify those drivers being where they are in the road, obstacle, oil, dead critter, etc.
They'll write <10mph over tickets up there all day long, maybe they were just running from a loose T-rex, or a tornado, you don't know...
If you had a picture of someone beating a puppy with a baseball bat, that's just a millisecond of time, you don't know what he was doing before or after. Yeah, makes perfect sense.


I'm not advocating an new legislation or any use of taxpayer dollars, I don't like "The Man" or "Big Brother" any more than the next guy. I'm just advocating that the existing laws be enforced in situations where it's a very real danger to others. If you're a danger to yourself and others as these people are, you need a reminder not to drive like an ass, and you'll get it sooner or later. Whether that be a slap on the wrist ticket, smearing yourself across a tractor trailer grille, or living with killing a van full of kids.

As for the Youtube vids, if you're stupid enough to post illegal activity in which you're easily identifiable, you get what you deserve.
One of our maintenance guys got dinged for his 160mph jaunt down Hwy 11, which is a 55mph zone.
He was plainly visible in the video putting his helmet on and taking it off again, and his Youtube name included part of his real name.
I have no problem if the entire action is witnessed by an officer and penaltys are handed down or in an accident if reliable witnesses are at the scene and willing to testify if needed.But I'm sick of paying for others actions. You can't pump gas without paying first,give your kid a swat in the ass and your an abuser,stop for a beer now and then and your an alcoholic,it goes on and on because theres always someone out there who advocates penaltys for action they don't like.Don't give these people more power over our lives.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #25415
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have no problem if the entire action is witnessed by an officer and penaltys are handed down or in an accident if reliable witnesses are at the scene and willing to testify if needed.But I'm sick of paying for others actions. You can't pump gas without paying first,give your kid a swat in the ass and your an abuser,stop for a beer now and then and your an alcoholic,it goes on and on because theres always someone out there who advocates penaltys for action they don't like.Don't give these people more power over our lives.
You know how you could keep it from affecting you? Stay in your own frickin' lane.

None of your examples are relevant, because if you are driving on the wrong side of the road, you're on the wrong side of the road. There's no interpretation or opinions in that determination.

How would Killboy photos being used as evidence affect you in any way if you aren't driving like an ass?

If they DO affect you, it's because YOU ARE DRIVING LIKE AN ASS and you deserve it. Trying to blame your faults and poor decisions on someone else's actions is what is wrong with this country.

Like I said, I'll pass slow traffic on a double yellow when it's safe, but I wouldn't fault anybody but myself if I got caught and ticketed for it.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #25416
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
this is the only part i disagree with. the guy that might chase you down wouldn't be creating the situation. if that guy chose to take the time/effort to chase you down hopefully he'd be correcting the situation.


agreed
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #25417
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Add... Why ride all that distance to the twisty pavement only to try and make it into a straighter road? Have more fun by riding in your lane and making it even more challenging.
agreed

why indeed?
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #25418
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central Oregon
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post


FFwd to 3:26

Like here fo example, can't really see but it looks like both were trying to use the center of the road.
I watched the crash portion repeatedly, including frame by frame. While the footage isn't the best, based upon what is visible, including the location of crash debris in the roadway, it looks like the Ducati rider is on his side of the road at the time of the crash. And yes, I have extensive traffic crash investigation experience.
__________________
- Eric
2002 BMW R1150GS
EKinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #25419
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
You know how you could keep it from affecting you? Stay in your own frickin' lane.

None of your examples are relevant, because if you are driving on the wrong side of the road, you're on the wrong side of the road. There's no interpretation or opinions in that determination.
Yeah! And if you're driving 1 mph over the speed limit you're reckless! And if you only slow to .00001mph instead of a complete stop, a ticket for you!

This is where you're wrong RDTCU. If you care about justice, rather than arbitrary legislation, there is room for interpretation. Any good cop will decide if something warrants a ticket based upon the whole situation he sees rather than whether some arbitrary milestone was passed.

Rules and regulations are made to maintain order and keep us safe. And since a line has to be drawn somewhere (speed limit, blood alcohol level, laneline), a limit is made. But it is based on a variety of factors, much of which have little to with safety. But you seem to put the bureaucratic rule above the underlying principle.

Crossing a strip of paint, when done after consideration of many factors, is far better than blindly adhering to words in a book. Even the law knows the difference between malum in se (evil in itself, i.e. murder) and malum prohibitum (wrong because it is prohibited, i.e. gambling, speeding, licensing).
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #25420
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Yeah! And if you're driving 1 mph over the speed limit you're reckless! And if you only slow to .00001mph instead of a complete stop, a ticket for you!

This is where you're wrong RDTCU. If you care about justice, rather than arbitrary legislation, there is room for interpretation. Any good cop will decide if something warrants a ticket based upon the whole situation he sees rather than whether some arbitrary milestone was passed.

Rules and regulations are made to maintain order and keep us safe. And since a line has to be drawn somewhere (speed limit, blood alcohol level, laneline), a limit is made. But it is based on a variety of factors, much of which have little to with safety. But you seem to put the bureaucratic rule above the underlying principle.

Crossing a strip of paint, when done after consideration of many factors, is far better than blindly adhering to words in a book. Even the law knows the difference between malum in se (evil in itself, i.e. murder) and malum prohibitum (wrong because it is prohibited, i.e. gambling, speeding, licensing).
All true, but if you cross that magic pair of yellow lines and get in an accident, you ARE a fucktard!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #25421
RDTCU
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Crossing a strip of paint, when done after consideration of many factors, is far better than blindly adhering to words in a book. Even the law knows the difference between malum in se (evil in itself, i.e. murder) and malum prohibitum (wrong because it is prohibited, i.e. gambling, speeding, licensing).
Driving 3mph over the speed limit or making a rolling stop at a 4 way stop won't smear you or someone else across the mountain. Crossing that line in a blind corner is playing Russian roulette, except the other guy doesn't know he's playing.

You didn't even read the rest of my post apparently, the double yellows aren't some magic barrier never to be crossed, but you should expect to pay the consequences if you get caught doing it, because staying on your side of that line IS the law. If you can't stay on your side, barring someone pulling out or wrecking in front of you, you have failed to maintain safe control of your vehicle.

You can stay up there in your fantasy land where it's all good if nobody gets killed.
Meanwhile the rest of us that ride the twisties are hoping not to meet someone with your line of reasoning behind the wheel.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #25422
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Middle GA.....Aparently....
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTCU View Post
Driving 3mph over the speed limit or making a rolling stop at a 4 way stop won't smear you or someone else across the mountain. Crossing that line in a blind corner is playing Russian roulette, except the other guy doesn't know he's playing.

You didn't even read the rest of my post apparently, the double yellows aren't some magic barrier never to be crossed, but you should expect to pay the consequences if you get caught doing it, because staying on your side of that line IS the law. If you can't stay on your side, barring someone pulling out or wrecking in front of you, you have failed to maintain safe control of your vehicle.

You can stay up there in your fantasy land where it's all good if nobody gets killed.
Meanwhile the rest of us that ride the twisties are hoping not to meet someone with your line of reasoning behind the wheel.
This.
All of it.
__________________
Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #25423
CallMeBoog
Done
 
CallMeBoog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
This is the stupidity thats ruining this country.Because some people are stupid everyone gets treated like criminals. That camera picture is one millisecond of an action. Maybe you go around an oil spill or dead carcass in the road and you just happen to be in a camera shot. Do you really deserve a ticket or a day off work to fight it if possible? You assholes need to think about the repurcussions of some of your posts. Better yet ,move to another country.

Please elaborate

I thought IheartmyNX was the biggest idiot in this thread, advocating for crossing the center line and speeding, but you are definitely giving him a run for his money!
__________________
Don't Ride With Nate!

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #25424
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central VT
Oddometer: 1,237
+1
__________________
DRZ400
CCofVT, AMA, NETRA
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #25425
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeBoog View Post
Please elaborate

I thought IheartmyNX was the biggest idiot in this thread, advocating for crossing the center line and speeding, but you are definitely giving him a run for his money!


Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014