OLD and BOLD

Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #25413
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
You got that right.

Almost all cyclists own cars. I have four (and have owned as many as eight) licensed, insured, taxed motor vehicles, all of which run on gas; I live in a city that just increased its sales tax to keep up with street maintenance, so bike tires and shoes and milk got more expensive while the motorist-specific tax burden did not; most (about 66%) of my state's DOT budget comes from sources other than motorist taxes. I accept all this. My goods and food ship mainly by truck and it's important for me and my fellow citizens to be able to get to work and contribute to a productive society.

When I bicycle or walk to work (saving someone else a parking space, road wear, congestion, etc.), I'm subsidizing the people who are driving. Simple as that. Whether anyone realizes or admits (let alone appreciates) it, I've paid my share for the road but I'm not using it up, unlike car users.

Whatever the complaint about cyclists' share of road funding, freeloading, discourtesy or lawlessness, it's actually a 100x stronger condemnation of motorists, especially recreational motorists like those traffic-jam making, road-wrecking, inconvenience-creating single-occupancy commuters--the slow ass motherfuckers who all want to drive their little toys down the same roads at the same times every day, but can't travel at the speed limit because they apparently enjoy (deliberately) blocking the roadway by taking their recreational toys out on the road when they know damn well they're going to hold up traffic, always driving alone, with 4-8 empty seats, both ways, every day, past their neighbors' workplaces and their coworkers' homes, never thinking about carpooling, instead dreaming up every justification in the world for continuing their selfish, wasteful, lifestyle choices and wasting my tax dollars. Yet we're to believe instead that the problem is that bikes aren't taxes or licensed, or that their presence on the road means we have to slow down sometimes? Sorry, but that's complete crap.

These recreational and hobbyist motorists are a good reason why we should have 3 HOV lanes and 1 SOV lane instead of vice versa. They are "recreational" because it is unnecessary for them to be on the road. I don't give a fuck if they're going to work! Destination doesn't matter: they're recreational users. Same for anyone who drives less than two miles to work; anyone who drives more than two miles to work but never carpools; anyone going to a restaurant, kids' soccer game, or theater; anyone towing a boat or motorcycle; anyone buying non-essentials (TVs, audio equipment, lawn furniture, deck materials, Xmas trees, or going out for ice cream).

But the fact that it is not absolutely necessary for these people to be driving around doesn't mean that we measure their privilege to use the road based on a cost/benefit analysis of their presence there. Because if we did, these recreational personal automobiles would be the first to go.

So the bullshit at the top is just plain incorrect. Now that we know this, we can proceed with a clearer vision of who the real freeloaders are. Or, perhaps we can just understand that cyclists also pay motor, gas, registration and road taxes--along with the rest of the non-motor-related taxes that fund MOST of our road system--and give that tired pile of shit a rest.
]
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #25414
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Riding? It is supposed to snow on Wednesday, so you should be OK.

Jim
Yes,riding. Meeting a couple friends that for a plethoria of reasons just couldn't manage to hook up with for a ride all season. Probably because they read my posts.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #25415
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
The thread about fail has become the thread of fail... we've gone META!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #25416
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
You got that right.

Almost all cyclists own cars. I have four (and have owned as many as eight) licensed, insured, taxed motor vehicles, all of which run on gas; I live in a city that just increased its sales tax to keep up with street maintenance, so bike tires and shoes and milk got more expensive while the motorist-specific tax burden did not; most (about 66%) of my state's DOT budget comes from sources other than motorist taxes. I accept all this. My goods and food ship mainly by truck and it's important for me and my fellow citizens to be able to get to work and contribute to a productive society.

When I bicycle or walk to work (saving someone else a parking space, road wear, congestion, etc.), I'm subsidizing the people who are driving. Simple as that. Whether anyone realizes or admits (let alone appreciates) it, I've paid my share for the road but I'm not using it up, unlike car users.

Whatever the complaint about cyclists' share of road funding, freeloading, discourtesy or lawlessness, it's actually a 100x stronger condemnation of motorists, especially recreational motorists like those traffic-jam making, road-wrecking, inconvenience-creating single-occupancy commuters--the slow ass motherfuckers who all want to drive their little toys down the same roads at the same times every day, but can't travel at the speed limit because they apparently enjoy (deliberately) blocking the roadway by taking their recreational toys out on the road when they know damn well they're going to hold up traffic, always driving alone, with 4-8 empty seats, both ways, every day, past their neighbors' workplaces and their coworkers' homes, never thinking about carpooling, instead dreaming up every justification in the world for continuing their selfish, wasteful, lifestyle choices and wasting my tax dollars. Yet we're to believe instead that the problem is that bikes aren't taxes or licensed, or that their presence on the road means we have to slow down sometimes? Sorry, but that's complete crap.

These recreational and hobbyist motorists are a good reason why we should have 3 HOV lanes and 1 SOV lane instead of vice versa. They are "recreational" because it is unnecessary for them to be on the road. I don't give a fuck if they're going to work! Destination doesn't matter: they're recreational users. Same for anyone who drives less than two miles to work; anyone who drives more than two miles to work but never carpools; anyone going to a restaurant, kids' soccer game, or theater; anyone towing a boat or motorcycle; anyone buying non-essentials (TVs, audio equipment, lawn furniture, deck materials, Xmas trees, or going out for ice cream).

But the fact that it is not absolutely necessary for these people to be driving around doesn't mean that we measure their privilege to use the road based on a cost/benefit analysis of their presence there. Because if we did, these recreational personal automobiles would be the first to go.

So the bullshit at the top is just plain incorrect. Now that we know this, we can proceed with a clearer vision of who the real freeloaders are. Or, perhaps we can just understand that cyclists also pay motor, gas, registration and road taxes--along with the rest of the non-motor-related taxes that fund MOST of our road system--and give that tired pile of shit a rest.

Oh, and...

so stop repressing your true feelings

sugar-coating it is going to give you ulcers or something,

just come right out and say what you mean
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #25417
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
Wee...just a little when I think of those jeans sliding

...I'm sure he was fine.

Veee........

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #25418
Bar None
IBM Retired

Oddometer: 4,937
No more fails for me on the Dragon, I'm heading to Floriduh for the winter.

Just gotta hook up the trailer with the DF in it and I heading south in the morning.
Call me Jed Clampett
Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #25419
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,086
It appears I am not the only hillbilly here
Nice place.
Have a safe trip south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post

Just gotta hook up the trailer with the DF in it and I heading south in the morning.
Call me Jed Clampett
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #25420
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 6,425
Quote:

Call me Jed Clampett
I don't remember who said it, but I'll say it again:

You have to respect someone who hates walking that much.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #25421
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
You got that right.

Oh, and...

For most of us, it is not about bicyclists paying road taxes that we want them to have plates, it is about being able to identify those who act like fucktards when they ride their bikes, something that is easy for motorists since they have plates on their vehicles
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #25422
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
For most of us, it is not about bicyclists paying road taxes that we want them to have plates, it is about being able to identify those who act like fucktards when they ride their bikes, something that is easy for motorists since they have plates on their vehicles
When you get home and scrape them off your fender, just ask 'em their name!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #25423
100mpg
Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer: 17,565
So long Jed! Looks like you will be just ahead of the snow next week.
Quote:

Call me Jed Clampett
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #25424
FatherX
There is no tube

Oddometer: 5,343
Left or Right

Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #25425
FatherX
There is no tube

Oddometer: 5,343
old but not as old as that debate.....