Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #25426
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
As a photographer, I'd be strongly opposed to using a single still frame as the primary piece of evidence in a traffic violation or similar situation. Unless you are just trying to prove or disprove that a particular person was in a particular vicinity at a point in time, a single photo is extremely limited in the information it provides—it's a split-second in time, from a specific point of view and with specific framing.

More concretely, I have a lot of ski racing photos in my photo library. I'm also a certified official and thus expected to know a thing or two about clean passage (i.e. making a gate versus being disqualified). I have a very small but significant number of photos that seem to indicate a DSQ, in which the racer actually made the gate (either due to fore/aft distances being compressed by the lens, sheer athleticism on the part of the racer, etc) and a whole lot more in which the single image suggests things about the racer's technical prowess which aren't true, for better or worse.

Video still has limitations, but as we're talking about movement sports, the overall impression from watching video is generally much better-rounded than from looking at a single still image.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #25427
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBoog View Post
Please elaborate

I thought IheartmyNX was the biggest idiot in this thread, advocating for crossing the center line and speeding, but you are definitely giving him a run for his money!
Zero tolerance policies nuff for you.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #25428
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
As a photographer, I'd be strongly opposed to using a single still frame as the primary piece of evidence in a traffic violation or similar situation. Unless you are just trying to prove or disprove that a particular person was in a particular vicinity at a point in time, a single photo is extremely limited in the information it provides—it's a split-second in time, from a specific point of view and with specific framing.

More concretely, I have a lot of ski racing photos in my photo library. I'm also a certified official and thus expected to know a thing or two about clean passage (i.e. making a gate versus being disqualified). I have a very small but significant number of photos that seem to indicate a DSQ, in which the racer actually made the gate (either due to fore/aft distances being compressed by the lens, sheer athleticism on the part of the racer, etc) and a whole lot more in which the single image suggests things about the racer's technical prowess which aren't true, for better or worse.

Video still has limitations, but as we're talking about movement sports, the overall impression from watching video is generally much better-rounded than from looking at a single still image.
Did this guy make the gate?

RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #25429
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
So worst case (short of wrecking yourself) you get a ~$100 left of center ticket, with maybe 2 points on your license.

This isn't getting a week's suspension for biting your poptart into the shape of a gun.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #25430
outrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
This is the stupidity thats ruining this country.Because some people are stupid everyone gets treated like criminals. That camera picture is one millisecond of an action. Maybe you go around an oil spill or dead carcass in the road and you just happen to be in a camera shot. Do you really deserve a ticket or a day off work to fight it if possible? You assholes need to think about the repurcussions of some of your posts. Better yet ,move to another country.
Better not move to this country (UK) as we have speed cameras, traffic light cameras, bus lane cameras, parking cameras and more cctv cameras than you can shake a stick at!

Andy.
outrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #25431
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
I'm asking you to elaborate on this:

Quote:
You assholes need to think about the repurcussions of some of your posts.
Tell me about that. Repercussions of some of my posts, which would mean direct effect from something I posted. So please, elaborate like I asked you to.

Quote:
Nope. That's not an elaboration or expansion/explanation of the potential repercussions of my posts.

Quote:
Better yet ,move to another country.
I don't live in the states. Speed cameras, red light cameras, and any other photo traffic fine device has been thrown out in court time and time again, and have been removed altogether from many provinces (they're like states, but more provincial).

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #25432
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Cry Waaa!

Quote:

Tell me about that. Repercussions of some of my posts, which would mean direct effect from something I posted. So please, elaborate like I asked you to.

Nope. That's not an elaboration or expansion/explanation of the potential repercussions of my posts.

I don't live in the states. Speed cameras, red light cameras, and any other photo traffic fine device has been thrown out in court time and time again, and have been removed altogether from many provinces (they're like states, but more provincial).
Yeah just what we need, more big brother controls & intrusion into our lives!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #25433
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Quote:

Exactly the problem , YOU don't see it ,or don't want to see it . Yea ,right now a lot of these citations are being tossed out in court,but peoples time and money were wasted in the process.But that don't stop the authorities from tryin to save us,they'll come up with a new scheme because people like you scream for it.Before this gets to far ,lets be clear. I don't want to hit some idiot in my lane either,but I also don't want a camera shoved up my ass everywhere I go.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #25434
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Please elaborate

I thought IheartmyNX was the biggest idiot in this thread, advocating for crossing the center line and speeding, but you are definitely giving him a run for his money!

h it was/is that doofus from PA (forget his handle) who likes to argue about everything
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #25435
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
h it was/is that doofus from PA (forget his handle) who likes to argue about everything
Real enlightening stuff.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #25436
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Feels like the dead of winter in here with all the fighting!

I wonder what it will be like when it is actually too cold/icy to ride?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #25437
CallMeBoog
Done

Quote:
Real enlightening stuff.
Be careful about the repercussions of posting that.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #25438
CallMeBoog
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Feels like the dead of winter in here with all the fighting!

I wonder what it will be like when it is actually too cold/icy to ride?

Jim
And there's nothing on TV. Too bad you hate me too much to sell me dvd's to watch.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #25439
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Exactly the problem , YOU don't see it ,or don't want to see it . Yea ,right now a lot of these citations are being tossed out in court,but peoples time and money were wasted in the process.But that don't stop the authorities from tryin to save us,they'll come up with a new scheme because people like you scream for it.Before this gets to far ,lets be clear. I don't want to hit some idiot in my lane either,but I also don't want a camera shoved up my ass everywhere I go.
First, you're not the doofus I was referring to in my last post, if I get totally bored waiting for my flight outta Deadhorse this afternoon, I'll look his handle up.

So how would you suggest this issue (of doofus/dumbass/idiots who seem to think they have some doG-given right to ride in the other lane whenever they think it's ok) be dealt with?

1) if they freak you out being in your lane, chase 'em down and whup 'em or shoot 'em (depending on how pissed off you are?)

2) perform a Barney Fife (citizens arrest)

3) call the Man and swear out a warrant against them

4) ask for increased enforcement in the area

5) stay home

6) stay on straight 4 lane highways

7) other

edit: it was either joexr or xpatriot I was thinking of, we had a "discourse" dealing with the why's and whento's of the dreaded double yeller lines a while back. I discovered that Penn is one of a very very very few places you can legally sometimes cross the double yellow.
Of course since this thread is focused on a road in Tenn, a Penn law means exactly nothing here.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E

xtphreak screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 10:50 AM
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #25440
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
And there's nothing on TV. Too bad you hate me too much to sell me dvd's to watch.
I don't hate you, I just don't like you. I don't care enough about you to hate you. That would take effort I am unwilling to expend.

If you wanted one of my DVDs, there are vendors who would sell them to you.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote