Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #25471
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Please. No, it's not. Because if you were really so concerned about road safety that you would report a cyclist, then you would never get off the motherfucking phone, what with all the speeding, tailgating, failing to signal, red light running, stop sign blowing, illegal parking, crosswalk blocking, TV-watching, GPS-playing, text junkie, drunk-ass, non-roadworthy, attention-whore smoke-blowing no-inspection blue-light fartcan driving fucktards in CARS and TRUCKS that you're surely already calling in, since you and anyone else who has spent more than 5 minutes near an American roadway knows damn well that you see about 1000x more of this shit from motorists than you ever will from cyclists.

But you don't do this, do you? No, you don't. Nobody does. Why? Because we accept shit driving as citizens and as a society. Why? Because it's a lowest-common-denominator activity wherein the threshold for attaining and keeping a driver's license is almost zero; because there but for the grace of the gods go us; and because we've set up our system to force people to depend on cars. But I digress. Meanwhile, you want to pretend that, if cyclists had plates, you would report them for not following laws nobody else follows? This is the same as being wheeled into the trauma unit with multiple amputations, brain injury, and yer eye poked out, and complaining to the doctor about a fucking hangnail.

I've been driving cars, trucks and motos for 35 years in the US, Canada, Mexico and Europe, in cities, suburbs, country roads curvy and straight, highways and dirt roads, and I have never been endangered IN THE SLIGHTEST by a cyclist or group of cyclists. Not. One. Fucking. Time.

Tell you what, though: I'd be willing to consider some kind of plate and fee for adult cyclists. But only after the following steps are taken: better motorist education; strict graduated/tiered licensing based on driver experience, driver's record, vehicle weight and horsepower; stronger, more consistent and meaningful enforcement and stricter revocation and suspensions for aggressive, inattentive, and repeat offenders and other shit drivers; more challenging driver's exams and an end to open-book written tests; an end to the revolving door of fake traffic schools, DUI courts, and payoffs to keep points off shitty drivers' records; vulnerable road user laws to specifically target motorists who harass or attempt to intimidate or threaten peds or bikers; automatic license revocations and impoundments for crimes like assault and recklessness when cars are used as weapons and/or means of fleeing the scene; and, quite simply, MUCH stricter liability of drivers for where their cars go.

But, obviously, we're not serious about fixing the real problems on our roadways yet, are we? If and when we do get serious, and if we have any sense, we'll start with the biggest problem first. Hint: it's not cyclists.

Although there are many good points made in this, rather bombastic, little rant... What I mostly heard was ''I'm a cyclist, and we aren't fixing ourselves you you fix everything else".

Yes, there are many bad drivers, but you don't get to do whatever you want because you think someone else is being worse.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #25472
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
Actually, there have been incidents where a bicyclist has severely injured and even killed pedestrians while disobeying traffic laws. It's rare but does happen.
And I know of a motorcyclist killed by a pedestrian (drunk and wearing all black at night) that stepped in front of him on an on-ramp. A bicyclist is no less dangerous than a pedestrian to someone on a motorcycle and no less dangerous than a deer either. Motorcyclists and cage drivers are severely injured and killed every year hitting wildlife.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #25473
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
And I know of a motorcyclist killed by a pedestrian (drunk and wearing all black at night) that stepped in front of him on an on-ramp. A bicyclist is no less dangerous than a pedestrian to someone on a motorcycle and no less dangerous than a deer either. Motorcyclists and cage drivers are severely injured and killed every year hitting wildlife.
But on roads like 129, which is the focus of this thread (loosely) bad drivers/riders are much more of a danger to themselves and others than wildlife (and even moreso, pedestrians), at least during daylight hours.
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #25474
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Valid. But since when was this thread completely on topic?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #25475
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Valid. But since when was this thread completely on topic?
Since never...
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #25476
FatherX
eXiled

Oddometer: 5,229
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #25477
outrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
Can I have my money back please?

Andy.
outrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #25478
FatherX
eXiled

Oddometer: 5,229
6.47 of DRAMA!!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #25479
BRad704
Journeyman

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
Well, after reading this very interesting and entertaining thread, it seems like the Dragon is a giant Twatfest… I move to rename it "The Twatsnake," where no self-respecting rider would go, because, err... there are better roads elsewhere with more than enough curves to satisfy one's thirst for lean angles and thrills, and greatly reduced risks of becoming a hood ornament.
I thought I was the only one getting that impression... Glad to have company.

From Memphis, I'm several hours closer to Signal Mtn and the Ozarks. I'll get my thrills over that way...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #25480
RDTCU
Banned

Quote:
Well, after reading this very interesting and entertaining thread, it seems like the Dragon is a giant Twatfest… I move to rename it "The Twatsnake," where no self-respecting rider would go, because, err... there are better roads elsewhere with more than enough curves to satisfy one's thirst for lean angles and thrills, and greatly reduced risks of becoming a hood ornament.
It's a great road early in the morning during the middle of the week...
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #25481
TNWillie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
After moving East from SoCal in '92, I'd ride the Dragon several times/year. It took awhile to get over my desire to return to it each year. But seeing more and more idiots risking my life convinced me to choose other roads that are just as twisty instead. I've been "Dragon free" for 2 yrs now and hope to never return to it.
TNWillie
TNWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #25482
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,598
The road is dangerous. There are better roads all around the Dragon.
Nothing to see here.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #25483
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
You couldn't pay me to ride hundreds of miles to take a run down the dragon. Twatfest is a good term for that road. All it takes is one dickwad to run over the yellow line, and severely ruin your day. No thanks.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #25484
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Fun to drive, but broke down more often than not.
That's ridiculous. Are you basing that on a sample size of one car? They aren't Toyota, but they are pretty frickin' reliable. Mine has 125k without any major issues.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #25485
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
That's ridiculous. Are you basing that on a sample size of one car? They aren't Toyota, but they are pretty frickin' reliable. Mine has 125k without any major issues.
While they are prone to strange problems, I have found you either love them or hate them. Most people that hate them won't listen to reason, and those that love them, are willing to put up with any issues.

I loved mine and miss it every single day. I consider selling it to be a major mistake.

Every car is prone to problems, but the haters seem to think a MINI should be perfect for some reason.
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote