Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #25936
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Moving 5mph in a blind corner two abreast in a 35mph zone the bike sure as shit can "cause" an accident....
Sorry wrong. It is your responsibility to not out drive your visibility. If you are going so fast that you cannot stop for a slow moving vehicle and crash, you caused that accident, not the slow moving vehicle, be it a truck, tractor or a bicycle.

Like I said before, if a bicycle slows you up on your motorcycle one second just go sell your bike, you shouldn't be on one...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #25937
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Sorry wrong. It is your responsibility to not out drive your visibility. If you are going so fast that you cannot stop for a slow moving vehicle and crash, you caused that accident, not the slow moving vehicle, be it a truck, tractor or a bicycle.
Believe what you like and I will believe what I like. It is no different than parking a truck in the road on a blind corner. If you can see through mountains you need not fear.

Jim

PS I refuse to continue to debate this dumbass concept.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #25938
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Believe what you like and I will believe what I like. It is no different than parking a truck in the road on a blind corner. If you can see through mountains you need not fear.

Jim

PS I refuse to continue to debate this dumbass concept.
When you rear end a slow moving vehicle, you just go ahead and explain what you "believe" to the officer and your insurance company. I'm sure that will go over well.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #25939
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,614
I think there's already a thread where this is hashed out, ad nauseum, like, infinity times before...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #25940
RDTCU
Banned

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
When you rear end a slow moving vehicle, you just go ahead and explain what you "believe" to the officer and your insurance company. I'm sure that will go over well.
Yeah, because I'm sure you go around the blind corners in the mountains at 15mph all the time, just in case...
RDTCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #25941
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
I think there's already a thread where this is hashed out, ad nauseum, like, infinity times before...

But some people have a need to be right, damn the logic.

Jim
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #25942
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I've been behind bicyclists and other slower moving vehicles on the Dragon and other narrow roads and just wait for the proper place and then pass them.
The situation is more when the cyclist or slow moving vehicles pass by pull overs, take over two lanes and generally don't allow you to safely pass is more the situation I was commenting on where they are part of the problem. Unfortunately around here the slow drivers do that more often then then not.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #25943
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Moving 5mph in a blind corner two abreast in a 35mph zone the bike sure as shit can "cause" an accident. The motorized vehicle has an expectation that other road users are going near the speed limit. Otherwise there would be no one going past 10mph on a curvy road.

That might be OK for some poor drivers, riders, but it is unrealistic to expect everyone to move at the speed of a bicycle. Were the bikes single file and near the outer edge a reasonable driver/rider could easily and safely pass.

Jim
You need to be more aware of what can be around that blind corner and not charge in like a idiot. Fallen tree, rock, gravel, stopped vehicle, oil, etc can be around that blind corner.
Best to be aware and not blame your crash on something or someone else.
You might end up dead right.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #25944
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Too funny... I posted the chicks on bicycles cause I like the view and it degenerates into "ermuhgerd! Thar blockin da lane!!"
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #25945
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
I like the view and it degenerates
+1

Bike lovers, bike haters - please do add your thoughts on page 257 of bikes on the road thread

However - since I'm posting - you dudes who want bikes to have license plates must be in some sort of government jobs creation program. WTF - do I need my 12 year old's bike w/ tag?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #25946
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
He's right; an accident is due to uncontrollable circumstances. The slow moving vehicle may cause a wreck, but I would not call it an accident.
No, the slow moving vehicle cannot cause a wreck.

Only someone overdriving their sight-line or attempting an unsafe pass can cause the wreck.

That doesn't mean the lane blocker isn't a selfish asshole, though.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #25947
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Moving 5mph in a blind corner two abreast in a 35mph zone the bike sure as shit can "cause" an accident. The motorized vehicle has an expectation that other road users are going near the speed limit. Otherwise there would be no one going past 10mph on a curvy road.

That might be OK for some poor drivers, riders, but it is unrealistic to expect everyone to move at the speed of a bicycle. Were the bikes single file and near the outer edge a reasonable driver/rider could easily and safely pass.

Jim
Too fast for the sight line, 100% the following vehicles fault.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #25948
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Too fast for the sight line, 100% the following vehicles fault.
So you do go 10-15mph on a twisty road? I'll make sure never to ride with you.

Jim
Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #25949
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,751
No point in arguing with idiots that are always right.

I agree that there is nothing like riding *THE SPEED LIMIT* around an uphill blind corner, only to encounter a couple bikes in the middle of the lane riding at a walking pace. How hard would it be for them to ride single file along the right edge?

Selfish assholes deserve to get hit. But of course, it would be our fault.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #25950
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
No point in arguing with idiots that are always right.

I agree that there is nothing like riding *THE SPEED LIMIT* around an uphill blind corner, only to encounter a couple bikes in the middle of the lane riding at a walking pace. How hard would it be for them to ride single file along the right edge?

Selfish assholes deserve to get hit. But of course, it would be our fault.
I never said they deserved to get hit, and of course it could be considered my fault, though that may be debatable.

My contention is that driving on any road you have an expectation that other road users will be going at or near the speed limit. Otherwise twisty roads like that would be nothing but crawling along at 10-15mph in fear of a truck/bus/car/bike etc. sitting in the middle of the road.

Can there be a deer/rock slide/broken down car hidden in a blind corner? Of course, driving is a risky thing sometimes.

Jim