Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #26521
rfulcher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I few years back I met Yellow Wolf at Deals Gap when he was filming other people riding the gap. I asked what he did about fast guys on sport bikes that wanted video. He said, "I just tell them that if they leave me behind the video won't be very good." No drama and no ego. However......very few people are good enough to leave him behind. After all he did make money following and filming "fast guys" from a Goldwing loaded with video gear.
rfulcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #26522
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #26523
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
This pretty much proves my point, the legendary, god-like rider on the mini-winne is pretty much maxed out in lean angle while the Duck rider has large amounts of room to go faster (although he is not using it). Possible conclusions are that: A the Duck rider isn't skilled enough to use his bike to it's fullest. B the Duck rider isn't trying. C. they are riding together. D. the Duck rider doesn't care.
If the duck rider had the skills or put the effort into it, the mini-winne wouldn't even be in the picture...doesn't matter how good of a rider is on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch160 View Post
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #26524
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
There's the obvious point that any time you are riding at speeds that exceed your ability to stop within your sight lines on the public road you are exceeding the third of the triumvirate of crucial limits one needs to stay within if you want to stay alive. Attaining perfect Marc Marquez style form, as your elbow skims the Tarmac mid-corner, while the tyres gently drift on the perfectly judged edge of adhesion at the very limits of your litre superbike is all very well, but if you slam into the back of a broken down Winnebago a quarter of a second later you are still a dick responsible for your own misfortune, just as much as the guy who levers the tyres of his Harley couchomatic off the ground at 25mph in a shower of sparks or the eejit on a Ducati Panigale who grabs a handful of front brake mid corner at the same speed because he has no clue what he is doing and is blissfully unaware of his lack of skill...

Admittedly crashes resulting from running out of talent or of motorcycle look better in pictures & videos, but otherwise it's just another balls up...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #26525
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Yes now you ask, that trike does make your wife's ass look smaller.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #26526
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 111
Laugh

Why are you trying to brag up someone elses riding skills? What about yours? Do you drag pegs riding around florida?[/QUOTE]

Why yes I do. We only have ONE curve in Flaw'da and with 45 years experience ring it, I do in fact know "The perfect Line".
Old 03-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #26527
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh View Post
There's the obvious point that any time you are riding at speeds that exceed your ability to stop within your sight lines on the public road you are exceeding the third of the triumvirate of crucial limits one needs to stay within if you want to stay alive. Attaining perfect Marc Marquez style form, as your elbow skims the Tarmac mid-corner, while the tyres gently drift on the perfectly judged edge of adhesion at the very limits of your litre superbike is all very well, but if you slam into the back of a broken down Winnebago a quarter of a second later you are still a dick responsible for your own misfortune, just as much as the guy who levers the tyres of his Harley couchomatic off the ground at 25mph in a shower of sparks or the eejit on a Ducati Panigale who grabs a handful of front brake mid corner at the same speed because he has no clue what he is doing and is blissfully unaware of his lack of skill...

Admittedly crashes resulting from running out of talent or of motorcycle look better in pictures & videos, but otherwise it's just another balls up...
Spot on,100% the right answer
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #26528
PJFZ1
Who me?

Oddometer: 66
Quote:

Beautifully stated... Can I steal that to share elsewhere?
PJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #26529
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
There's the obvious point that any time you are riding at speeds that exceed your ability to stop within your sight lines on the public road you are exceeding the third of the triumvirate of crucial limits one needs to stay within if you want to stay alive. ...
To be honest, can you tell from the picture how fast they are going? Can you tell if either is outriding their line of sight? It looks like there is plenty of visibility from the picture. Maybe you know the road and I don't. If you want to pull the safety-crate card (which is fine with me), which rider has pushed his bike to the limit and left himself little if any margin for error? Based on the picture, it's easily the god-like figure riding the mini-winne. The guy on the Duck has plenty of room to make adjustments if he has the skills to do so. It's all about riding beyond the capabilities of you and/or your machine.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #26530
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
PJFZ1, please feel free to quote away :-).

Homey, my point was aimed at those who were faintly sneering at the Duke rider for not dragging knees. It's possible that the Winger is close to the limit of his bike but not over the limit of the road, but that's a Goldwing for you :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #26531
DJFireUSA
2Fast4U

Oddometer: 282
this thread is a hoot...

So many of you are missing the point... Flogging a bike, ANY bike, is the point. Some enjoy pushing the bike while others don't. I have different bikes for this reason.

I don't see the logic in bashing those who are not flogging their bikes.

Rick is going to push his wing as hard as he feels like pushing. Well known for his abilities on the wing we all know you can not compare a wing to a sport bike so why even discuss wing vs sport bike? There isn't anything to validate this guy is better than that guy when the machines are not even in the same class.

If you must do a pissing contest, lets talk about night riding. On the gap night riding is the only time I can really enjoy my ride. No cops and very little traffic.
Youtube.com - search for DJFireUSA
DJFireUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #26532
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFireUSA View Post
...Rick is going to push his wing as hard as he feels like pushing. Well known for his abilities on the wing we all know you can not compare a wing to a sport bike so why even discuss wing vs sport bike? There isn't anything to validate this guy is better than that guy when the machines are not even in the same class....
My issue is that we don't all know that you can't compare a wing to a sportbike. Rick (I assume that is is name) may be a very good rider but some people around here think he is some kind of motorcycle god because he can scoot around pretty quick on a Goldwing and will lay waste to any sportbike rider who dares think he/she may be faster than him. Maybe it's just human nature to just ignore reality....
Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #26533
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
...Homey, my point was aimed at those who were faintly sneering at the Duke rider for not dragging knees. It's possible that the Winger is close to the limit of his bike but not over the limit of the road, but that's a Goldwing for you :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #26534
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
My issue is that we don't all know that you can't compare a wing to a sportbike.
Why would you care?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #26535
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
This pretty much proves my point, the legendary, god-like rider on the mini-winne is pretty much maxed out in lean angle while the Duck rider has large amounts of room to go faster (although he is not using it). Possible conclusions are that: A the Duck rider isn't skilled enough to use his bike to it's fullest. B the Duck rider isn't trying. C. they are riding together. D. the Duck rider doesn't care.
If the duck rider had the skills or put the effort into it, the mini-winne wouldn't even be in the picture...doesn't matter how good of a rider is on it.
You win! STFU!

pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote