Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #31411
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
BTW why do parachutists wear helmets? Don't answer I'll look it up..
I'll save you the effort. I wear a helmet when I skydive for the exact same reasons I wear one on a motorcycle. The ground hurts.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #31412
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,637
...and the ground is harder than my head.

--Bill
Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #31413
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
...and the ground is harder than my head.

--Bill
That's not what I heard.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #31414
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
BTW why do parachutists wear helmets? Don't answer I'll look it up..
In case this happens?

All eleven people involved survived. Gotta think the helmets helped out with that.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #31415
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Simple solution,,,,,don't bounce your head off the ground.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #31416
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Yeah...own decisions, freedom, being an adult...we heard all that before. You surely are against mandatory insurances too I guess?

But the day he'll crash, the day he'll be all fucked up and poor as a church mouse because of him exercising his freedom, let me guess that on a forum somewhere someone will start a thread about supporting this poor guy.

Sure, let's talk about freedom.
Who says he'll crash? Who says he'll be injured if he does? And how do you know he doesn't carry a sufficient insurance policy? Or are you just blowing smoke out of your ass cause you're not as pretty as he is?
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #31417
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
In case this happens?

All eleven people involved survived. Gotta think the helmets helped out with that.
Nah, it really is the ground we're worried about. Jumping out of a broken aircraft is really no different than jumping out of a good one. Oddly enough, the one time I was on an aircraft that lost an engine, we didn't jump. Only half the jumpers were rigged for high altitude jumps and we were at 9,000 feet.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #31418
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Nah, it really is the ground we're worried about. Jumping out of a broken aircraft is really no different than jumping out of a good one. Oddly enough, the one time I was on an aircraft that lost an engine, we didn't jump. Only half the jumpers were rigged for high altitude jumps and we were at 9,000 feet.

What's considered "high altitude" in that situation?

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #31419
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
What's considered "high altitude" in that situation?
Most of the military jumps "static line" parachutes. You stand up, hook up a static line to a cable in the airplane, and jump. The static line deploys the chute as you exit, so the chute is fully deployed between 4 and 6 seconds after you exit the aircraft. Most of these jumps are performed at 1,000-1,200 feet, although I have done static line jumps at 3,000 feet before. These chutes have minimal steering capability, and aren't suitable for jumping much beyond 3,000 feet.

For a free fall jump, 12,500 feet tends to be the standard. However military free fall jumps range from 10,000 feet to 25,000 feet. These are jumper deployed chutes, much like commercial skydive centers use and have phenomenal steering capabilities.

So if we had jumped when we lost an engine at 9,000 feet, 20 jumpers would have had a great time and landed in a nice spot. The other 30 jumpers would have been scattered all over the Tampa Bay area, with many of them treading water for a while.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #31420
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Most of the military jumps "static line" parachutes. You stand up, hook up a static line to a cable in the airplane, and jump. The static line deploys the chute as you exit, so the chute is fully deployed between 4 and 6 seconds after you exit the aircraft. Most of these jumps are performed at 1,000-1,200 feet, although I have done static line jumps at 3,000 feet before. These chutes have minimal steering capability, and aren't suitable for jumping much beyond 3,000 feet.

For a free fall jump, 12,500 feet tends to be the standard. However military free fall jumps range from 10,000 feet to 25,000 feet. These are jumper deployed chutes, much like commercial skydive centers use and have phenomenal steering capabilities.

So if we had jumped when we lost an engine at 9,000 feet, 20 jumpers would have had a great time and landed in a nice spot. The other 30 jumpers would have been scattered all over the Tampa Bay area, with many of them treading water for a while.
Interesting. Ta :)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #31421
RBrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
But at some point don't you pass through the Range their set up for, on the way to the ground? If it's only a lost engine there's no rush to get out, so you have a glide slope and if exit speed is an issue the a little flare slows it down and everyone gets out. Yes?

You say you didn't jump, so everyone agreed a controlled crash was way more exciting, and being an adrenaline crowd, opted to stay for that ride instead?
RBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #31422
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 397
Okay, so pardon the thread jacking but...if you are riding in a state that requires a helmet and you are pulled over by a LEO for not wearing one, what happens? Does he give you a ticket and send you on your way? Does he prohibit you from riding further until you have one? Do have to go scrounge one up? Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm all in favor of helmet wearing. Hell, in the Army, we are required to wear one (properly) regardless of local state ordinances, so I enforce wearing one. I've never had a Soldier who didn't have one, so I've never faced that question. So what happens in the civilian world?

Oh yeah, as for static line parachute operations...the only time I didn't wear a helmet was for an intentional water jump. Otherwise, like RD says, the ground hurts. Of course, the Army has a way of taking the fun out of all that type of adventure training and making it one long suck-fest.

Thread jack off...

thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #31423
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrow View Post
But at some point don't you pass through the Range their set up for, on the way to the ground? If it's only a lost engine there's no rush to get out, so you have a glide slope and if exit speed is an issue the a little flare slows it down and everyone gets out. Yes?

You say you didn't jump, so everyone agreed a controlled crash was way more exciting, and being an adrenaline crowd, opted to stay for that ride instead?
We still had one engine left. If we were at risk of crashing, then yes, we definitely would have jumped. Pushing all the jumpers out at that altitude would have likely resulted in serious injury or death, especially for anyone landing in Tampa Bay. In Tampa (MacDill AFB), the airfield is the drop zone. So the safest place to drop the jumpers is exactly where we were supposed to land.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #31424
RBrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
We still had one engine left. If we were at risk of crashing, then yes, we definitely would have jumped. Pushing all the jumpers out at that altitude would have likely resulted in serious injury or death, especially for anyone landing in Tampa Bay. In Tampa (MacDill AFB), the airfield is the drop zone. So the safest place to drop the jumpers is exactly where we were supposed to land.
Thanks
RBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #31425
EsquireTed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I was engaged in a bit of excessively spirited riding on Skyline about 15 years ago and passed an oncoming ranger in a corner. I immediately pulled off as I knew he had me, and a minute later he came screaming by lights blazing. I already had my helmet off and paperwork in hand so I waved to him, he hit the brakes and had to back up a good 50 yards to back in in front of me. He checked my paperwork laughing the whole time and wrote me a warning including speed he got me at, for being honest. Last thing he said was, "now don't go putting that on the Internet..."