ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #31846
DJFireUSA
2Fast4U
 
DJFireUSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: 30 min from Deals Gap, TN
Oddometer: 308
There will always be talk about doing this or that to the hill.

3 lanes could be fun... Dedicated passing lane or motorcycle version of a truck lane.


__________________
Alcan Survior 2009 - 3 months and 20,000+ smiles
2007 GL1800 Goldwing, 2009 Harley Police Road King, 2007 DRZ400sm, 1985 Honda CB650sc (Special Edition), 2006 S-50 (aka VS800 intruder - for sale)
Top Gun Expert Level Champion and occasional hooligan
Youtube.com - search for DJFireUSA
DJFireUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #31847
PJFZ1
Who me?
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Maryville, TN
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post
The last time I rode the dragon a guy on a HD bagger pulled out just in front of me as we were leaving the parking lot. I thought to myself, "This will be painful!" But we were very lucky with traffic, as in almost none, and he set the perfect pace from start to finish. Neither of us had any "Oh Shit!" moments and we waved at Killboy as we went by.

We pulled over at the overlook and chatted with each other for about half an hour. He said he lived fairly close by and had run it many times. I congratulated him on his pace and he said thanks. I rode back over the Cherohala and down 28 to Clemson. I wasn't as smooth on my Wee as I was following him. Excellent rider.
When I meet cruiser riders doing well, I make it a point to tell them.. I figure if anything they can help nudge other cruiser riders in the right direction as far as skills.
PJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #31848
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 7,487
A dedicated "bicycle lane" for Cruisers?

Or, just leave well enough alone... :)

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #31849
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFZ1 View Post
When I meet cruiser riders doing well, I make it a point to tell them.. I figure if anything they can help nudge other cruiser riders in the right direction as far as skills.
Anyone ever do it to you? Tell you how well you're doing, to keep it up, good job?

You don't think you're being, you know, really condescending?
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #31850
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer
 
Mgbgt89's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Akron, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Anyone ever do it to you? Tell you how well you're doing, to keep it up, good job?

You don't think you're being, you know, really condescending?
I had an acquaintance tell me after riding twisty southern ohio roads on my C10, "I bet you'd be pretty damn fast if you didn't ride such pieces of shit!"

I took that as a complement.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #31851
Ernest T
Studly Adventurer
 
Ernest T's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Salado, TX
Oddometer: 543
Bad cruiser riders aren't the problem. There are bad riders on all types of bikes, there just happen to be more cruisers on the road, ergo more bad cruiser riders. I've seen a boatload of idiots on sport bikes too.

I think I've seen more pictures of cruisers on the wrong side of the road in this thread, but I also think I've seen more sport bikes in the ditch, or with a bunch of broken and bent parts, than cruisers.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #31852
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
Bad cruiser riders aren't the problem. There are bad riders on all types of bikes, there just happen to be more cruisers on the road, ergo more bad cruiser riders. I've seen a boatload of idiots on sport bikes too.

I think I've seen more pictures of cruisers on the wrong side of the road in this thread, but I also think I've seen more sport bikes in the ditch, or with a bunch of broken and bent parts, than cruisers.
And you know why there are that much bikes in the ditch? They don't ride within their limits because they don't want to slow the "other riders who take the road for their own race track" down.
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #31853
Husky630
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
And you know why there are that much bikes in the ditch? They don't ride within their limits because they don't want to slow the "other riders who take the road for their own race track" down.
No, they let someone else ride their ride, dictate their pace. Adrenaline and/or ego kick in. Suddenly, you're tripping over your own dick.
If they were concerned with slowing down other riders, and they had two brain cells to rub together, they would use the pulloffs.


In the time I've spent at the Dragon, I've never been overtaken by someone that wasn't a local rider from our group. If someone were to close on me, I would use a pulloff or wave them past.

Husky630 screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 08:44 AM
Husky630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #31854
DJFireUSA
2Fast4U
 
DJFireUSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: 30 min from Deals Gap, TN
Oddometer: 308
Actually, we could trace it back to a fundamental lack of training. MSF teaches one how to CONTROL the motorcycles CONTROLS THEMSELVES. They do NOT teach one how to actually CONTROL the motorcycle.

I believe our (USA) training requirements for obtaining a motorcycle endorsement are weak. No required retesting, EVER. WTF?

Hell if half of us had be really "trainined" back in the day, look at where we would all be right now.

Monkey see, monkey do. Monkey must see other(s) doing the right thing.

I have spoken to both bad and good riders in the past. It's not the "what" but the "how" you express your message
__________________
Alcan Survior 2009 - 3 months and 20,000+ smiles
2007 GL1800 Goldwing, 2009 Harley Police Road King, 2007 DRZ400sm, 1985 Honda CB650sc (Special Edition), 2006 S-50 (aka VS800 intruder - for sale)
Top Gun Expert Level Champion and occasional hooligan
Youtube.com - search for DJFireUSA
DJFireUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #31855
Husky630
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFireUSA View Post

It's not the "what" but the "how" you express your
I think you accidentally the last part there.
Husky630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #31856
DJFireUSA
2Fast4U
 
DJFireUSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: 30 min from Deals Gap, TN
Oddometer: 308
yup - I did, thx.... Been up for too many days without sleep. (Been up since early Tuesday)
__________________
Alcan Survior 2009 - 3 months and 20,000+ smiles
2007 GL1800 Goldwing, 2009 Harley Police Road King, 2007 DRZ400sm, 1985 Honda CB650sc (Special Edition), 2006 S-50 (aka VS800 intruder - for sale)
Top Gun Expert Level Champion and occasional hooligan
Youtube.com - search for DJFireUSA
DJFireUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #31857
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFireUSA View Post
Actually, we could trace it back to a fundamental lack of training. MSF teaches one how to CONTROL the motorcycles CONTROLS THEMSELVES. They do NOT teach one how to actually CONTROL the motorcycle.

I believe our (USA) training requirements for obtaining a motorcycle endorsement are weak. No required retesting, EVER. WTF?

Hell if half of us had be really "trainined" back in the day, look at where we would all be right now.

Monkey see, monkey do. Monkey must see other(s) doing the right thing.

I have spoken to both bad and good riders in the past. It's not the "what" but the "how" you express your
Fair enough.

But, in all honesty, don't you think that as soon as a road becomes a popular riding destination and turns into a "get out off my way even if you're doing the speed limit because it breaks my pace" kind of private racetrack, accidents will occur? Whatever what your skills are?
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #31858
DJFireUSA
2Fast4U
 
DJFireUSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: 30 min from Deals Gap, TN
Oddometer: 308
It's not that way now. Riders get impatient because they get stuck behind someone who is paying attention to everything except piloting their machine.

Not checking their mirrors, riding very bad lines to the point of brake checking themselves and jacking those behind them not to mention being unfamiliar with decreasng radius turns and combine all that with a lack of training an it's no wonder why we have so many issues up there and that's before we begin to throw ego and copetition into the mix.
__________________
Alcan Survior 2009 - 3 months and 20,000+ smiles
2007 GL1800 Goldwing, 2009 Harley Police Road King, 2007 DRZ400sm, 1985 Honda CB650sc (Special Edition), 2006 S-50 (aka VS800 intruder - for sale)
Top Gun Expert Level Champion and occasional hooligan
Youtube.com - search for DJFireUSA
DJFireUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #31859
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I wonder why the NC and TN DOTs went to the trouble of adding so many pull offs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
They had some extra blacktop they needed to use?
It was probably the contractor, getting paid by the yard.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #31860
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Fair enough.

But, in all honesty, don't you think that as soon as a road becomes a popular riding destination and turns into a "get out off my way even if you're doing the speed limit because it breaks my pace" kind of private racetrack, accidents will occur? Whatever what your skills are?
That's why I used to keep my favorite roads to myself.

I'm old enough to have seen every single place I liked shut-down, regulated, or over-crowded once they became popular.

I'm wary of even posting YouTube videos of places I've ridden even if I don't state exactly where I was. I have put up videos, and who didn't know that it popularizes the locations (or the attempt to find them)?
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014