No spurs on the cowboy boots...
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #3317
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
At the 3 second mark he blips the throttle after he pulls in clutch.
I see what your talking about, the sound happens at the same time he pulls the clutch in. I don't think that's a throttle blip, cause after that sound the motor has clearly not been revved up. To me it sounds more like running over rumple strip, though I don't think that's what it was.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #3318
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
No spurs on the cowboy boots...

I can't tell for sure, but dollars to doughnuts, that's the "Speeders" Douchebag...

Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #3319
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post

Video posted on another forum (not by me!). Rider's description of what happened below:

"coming down 'the 152 curves' on the 89 other side of jerome. i was riding way too aggressive on an unfamiliar road and not paying attention to the actual road surface.

asphalt was new so still pretty smooth/slick and the rear broke loose on downshift and came out. i was not going to get it back so i got on the front brakes as well and counter steered for the soft-er stuff. got it down to 20mph before it left the road.

at least that is the way i remember it. it happened pretty darn quick.

i regularly take corners like this at 35mph with complete confidence but all of my canyon carving experience has been on mature surfaces.

i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case.

i was geared up, no injuries (just sore), moderate non-fatal damage to the bike. duct tape, a coat hanger and some redneck engineering prevented this spill from terminating a 400 mile ride for 3 people halfway in.

patched up the bike and finished the second 200 miles with no further incidents.

pics of the damage and roadside redneck engineering to follow.

OK guys, i am ready to take my lumps - fire away.
"
You have to lean the bike to go around them bends mate!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #3320
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
All I see is a handful of clutch and the rear is already waggin, the RPM's never stop dropping so he doesn't let the clutch out nor blip the throttle.

He panicked, grabbed the clutch, hit the rear brake and drove the bike off the road.
Actually, once he had decided he was not going to make the corner, I think he did the right thing to ride off the road. That's a lot better than hitting that guard rail.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #3321
Benc1985
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Nice tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
Benc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #3322
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
All I see is a handful of clutch and the rear is already waggin, the RPM's never stop dropping so he doesn't let the clutch out nor blip the throttle.

He panicked, grabbed the clutch, hit the rear brake and drove the bike off the road.

That is how i see it too, plus TERRIBLE lines, he finished the rh bend in the middle of the lane, then drifted to the center line and apexing BEFORE he even reached the corner. Classic panic/target fixation accident. I do not agree the did the right thing going off the road, an accident is an accident.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #3323
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benc1985 View Post
Nice tyre.
when you wear all the way through the belts you get more rubber!!
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #3324
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #3325
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post
Video posted on another forum (not by me!). Rider's description of what happened below:

"coming down 'the 152 curves' on the 89 other side of jerome. i was riding way too aggressive on an unfamiliar road and not paying attention to the actual road surface.

asphalt was new so still pretty smooth/slick and the rear broke loose on downshift and came out. i was not going to get it back so i got on the front brakes as well and counter steered for the soft-er stuff. got it down to 20mph before it left the road.

at least that is the way i remember it. it happened pretty darn quick.

i regularly take corners like this at 35mph with complete confidence but all of my canyon carving experience has been on mature surfaces.

i think over-confidence and a lack of experience were primary factors in this case.

i was geared up, no injuries (just sore), moderate non-fatal damage to the bike. duct tape, a coat hanger and some redneck engineering prevented this spill from terminating a 400 mile ride for 3 people halfway in.

patched up the bike and finished the second 200 miles with no further incidents.

pics of the damage and roadside redneck engineering to follow.

OK guys, i am ready to take my lumps - fire away."
He had to "lay her down" 'cause the new asphalt was too smooth and grippy? The "new" asphalt on US89 is way better than the old rough stuff it replaced.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #3326
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
If its anyone's fault for a crash...its always the Ass Fault
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #3327
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Actually, once he had decided he was not going to make the corner, I think he did the right thing to ride off the road. That's a lot better than hitting that guard rail.
I think there were more than two choices here. I didn't see at as "go off the road" or "hit the guardrail". I saw a third alternative as get back on the gas (off the brakes or off the engine braking) and lean that bitch. Now, I agree completely about his atrocious line but that choice had already been made.

Back many years ago (heading to the races in Henderson , Texas in a very mixed group) I saw a GSXR 750 run through a barbed wire fence on a similar corner while following a Guzzi with a sidecar. I was two bikes behind him. He "decided he was not going to make the corner". He stood the bike straight up and slammed on the binders and rode it straight off the road. The Guzzi made it easy. Now that's a sight that will stick with you for a lifetime.

But, maybe with sound this video would "look" different to me. With the limited data I have , I really think he could have made that corner even with his shitty line.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 10:03 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #3328
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I think there were more than two choices here. I didn't see at as "go off the road" or "hit the guardrail". I saw a third alternative as get back on the gas (off the brakes or off the engine braking) and lean that bitch. Now, I agree completely about his atrocious line but that choice had already been made.
On most bikes I would agree BUT… He is on a Softail so his poor choice of line did NOT allow for the "get back on the gas" option. He would have pivoted his tires off the ground and slid into the Guardrail.

The lean angle on the bike was likely about 25 deg. before hitting hard parts. Softails are boulevard cruisers and NOT meant for twisties with pilots that do not know how to ride (and the limits of the bike)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #3329
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,468
Quote:
On most bikes I would agree BUT… He is on a Softail so his poor choice of line did NOT allow for the "get back on the gas" option.
I haven't owned a softail since 95 (my 93 Fatboy) so maybe I've forgotten how limited they were on lean angle. My memory ain't what it used to be so, I'll bow out and leave it to those with more current knowledge. But dang.......
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #3330
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Here's one posted over on Pashnit:

Honda CBR 954RR CRASH from Jdog 109socal on Vimeo.

The rider walked away.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote