Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #4711
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360

Jim

PS I do drive the better looking and faster version of the Solstice![/QUOTE]

C'mon man...

That's like driving the Sport Edition of the Plymouth Voyager!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #4712
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404

Why do people keep saying this guy isn't hanging off? Because the picture doesn't let you see his knee? Take a look at the position of his right leg - his ass if most definitely hanging off. And I'd be willing to bet that a picture from the other side would show his knee dragging(or close). The pic you see there is taken AFTER he lost it - not at the instant he lost it - which is why the rear is levered up and the front turned in. WHY he lost it is a matter of speculation - but it isn't from lack of hanging off.

IMHO. YMMV. FYYFF.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #4713
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
On the Guzzi with my wife, not dragging a knee.
Attached Images

lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #4714
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

Why do people keep saying this guy isn't hanging off? Because the picture doesn't let you see his knee? Take a look at the position of his right leg - his ass if most definitely hanging off. And I'd be willing to bet that a picture from the other side would show his knee dragging(or close). The pic you see there is taken AFTER he lost it - not at the instant he lost it - which is why the rear is levered up and the front turned in. WHY he lost it is a matter of speculation - but it isn't from lack of hanging off.

IMHO. YMMV. FYYFF.
Just MY opinion but it does look like he is hanging off, just not enough. Also, his upper torso looks like he is trying to keep an upright posture instead of leaning with the bike. He is looking through the turn good though.
As far a being a poser, lemieuxmc, without taking lessons how would you learn how to correctly hang off a bike for advanced cornering? At 100 mph or at an easier speed in which to practice without dropping the bike and yourself?
Call me a poser but I putz around practicing hanging off the bike on easy curves all the time, in BFE, and it has helped me a lot. I don't do it in traffic for fear of being called a poser.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #4715
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:

Why do people keep saying this guy isn't hanging off? ...............
Well he may be "farting free" with his cheeks off, but his upper body is not. It is common for posers to stick a leg out and slide their a$$ off the seat, but then lean back into the bike.

To really hang off, you need to fart free, AND kiss the mirror, like the chicken leg guy.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #4716
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Airbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post
Looks like he let go of the bars but she just would NOT lay down!
The second shot clearly shows the large, quiet mufflers, obviously devoid of lifesaving capability right when he needed it.
Good ad for our friends at www.safermoto.com. His jacket would have been fully inflated before he whacked his spine on the pavement.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #4717
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

Probably going faster than that Ninja squid falling off "The Dragon", tires probably not as sticky, suspension and brakes might be a little less advanced, no ABS or DTC.

Lots of people dress like Lance Armstrong to ride a bicycle, some play ball wearing Air Jordans... hell, I remember seeing a guy at the club back in the day wearing a white polyester suit and he was a pretty good dancer too. I don't care what people do for fun, just don't try to justify it with BS about how it's necessary for "high performance".

Warp 9 or poser? You Make The Call!

P.S. MSF Rider Coach? Now if you were a Chuck Norris BMF Coach, that would really be something impressive!

AMEN Brother.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4718
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Just MY opinion but it does look like he is hanging off, just not enough. Also, his upper torso looks like he is trying to keep an upright posture instead of leaning with the bike. He is looking through the turn good though.
As far a being a poser, lemieuxmc, without taking lessons how would you learn how to correctly hang off a bike for advanced cornering? At 100 mph or at an easier speed in which to practice without dropping the bike and yourself?
Call me a poser but I putz around practicing hanging off the bike on easy curves all the time, in BFE, and it has helped me a lot. I don't do it in traffic for fear of being called a poser.
FWIW, this is the internets and all. But what I look at is the relation of the front and rear of his lower fairings. If he was on the gas, it'd be neutral. His isn't. Which might mean too much weight forward for the small contact patch on the front tire. But again, this is the internets. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #4719
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:

IMHO. YMMV. FYYFF.
I think he's already starting his dismount at this point.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #4720
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
I would have to disagree with this, if you are more concerned with looks than form and function you would be the poser, not the person hanging off the bike. Not hanging off enough is what happened to the guy on the ninja and he leveraged the bike. Not everyone on this or any other forum wants to ride slow, and if you want to ride faster and still maintain your lane, the more you hang off the less the bike leans and you have a better ability to maintain traction and control.

maybe the picture of Eddie did not do it for you, but he was not the only professional pictured for your benefit.

You know I do not remember seeing you with a number one plate in Moto GP? Or teaching them to ride.
The way over EXAGGERATED "hanging-off", present in so many pictures I see on forums, is absolutely ridiculous. They're just posing for the cameras..... Now don't get all upset with my comments, or question my knowledge,...I've played this game before.

"Hanging-off" IS necessary when hard parts start dragging...yeah, yeah....you can stay up pm the meat of the tire more, but what's given up in control??

"Hanging-off", yes....but only what's necessary.

So..Hang WAY off....do the SPLITS so your DANG knee is on the blasted pavement....but remember, its NOT necessary to go fast.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #4721
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,579
Speculation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
FWIW, this is the internets and all. But what I look at is the relation of the front and rear of his lower fairings. If he was on the gas, it'd be neutral. His isn't. Which might mean too much weight forward for the small contact patch on the front tire. But again, this is the internets. . ..
This thread is worthless without speculation.

Now that you mention it, he could have let off the gas or started hitting the brakes realizing he was in too hot. It does look like the bike is in some kind of a slight forward dive. Hard to say one way or the other but I still think if his head was about 1'-1.5' lower and into the turn, he wouldn't be in this situation.
Of course since it's not a video it's impossible to see his approach to see when things went South for the rider.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #4722
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,835
Not on Killboy but TotD noneless....

Wondering what's happening here... did he lay'er down?... anybody??

(izzat a thumbs up like in... "I'm OK" or like in "I need a ride"?)

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."

Beto screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 06:36 PM
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #4723
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
On the Guzzi with my wife, not dragging a knee.
On my Duc, alone and taking the photo myself. Not dragging a knee either.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #4724
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 993
Looks like he was going too fast, turned as hard as he could, and leveraged the wheels right off the ground.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #4725
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote