Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #7081
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
You can tell a lot of people posting here don't ride or at least not very well. Just look at how many think that you can't go fast on an HD.
Whats fast? I mean fast to you might mean standing still to me
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #7082
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Whats fast? I mean fast to you might mean standing still to me
And vice versa, right? It's real easy to be fast on the interweb.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #7083
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
And vice versa, right? It's real easy to be fast on the interweb.
It's relative, although an old bloke on a road king gave me a good chase couple of years ago, how fast? I better not say, as we're on the web.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #7084
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
It's relative, although an old bloke on a road king gave me a good chase couple of years ago, how fast? I better not say, as we're on the web.
+1 This guy defintely knew the road and knew how to ride but he was scraping and going left of center all over the place.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

SlipChip screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 11:00 AM
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #7085
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,371

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #7086
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Aussijussi. Like my sig line used to say, "it ain't the bike" that causes the problems seen on this thread *......

95%+ of the riders out there ain't using what their bike has before "up-grading" to the newest latest greatest (or at least newer later greater). Makes it kinda fun sometimes for the "slow-bike" riders, H-D's included.

My favorite example is when I watched a GSXR run off the road (straight through a fence) on a "pasture corner" the Guzzi with a sidecar directly in front of him made at the same speed. That is a visual I'm not likely to forget.

I've also had my hat handed to me by a very fast fella on a stock Triumph Bonneville when I was on a much "faster" bike. And oh, yeah. He had his wife on the back.

So, yeah. It's all relative.

*There are exceptions. Some of the modified crap-bikes people are riding on this thread shouldn't be on the road. Any road. At all. Ever. My comments are about relatively modern, well-maintained bikes.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 11:25 AM
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #7087
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Aussijussi. Like my sig line used to say, "it ain't the bike" that causes the problems seen on this thread *......

95%+ of the riders out there ain't using what their bike has before "up-grading" to the newest latest greatest (or at least newer later greater). Makes it kinda fun sometimes for the "slow-bike" riders, H-D's included.

My favorite example is when I watched a GSXR run off the road (straight through a fence) on a "pasture corner" the Guzzi with a sidecar directly in front of him made at the same speed. That is a visual I'm not likely to forget.

I've also had my hat handed to me by a very fast fella on a stock Triumph Bonneville when I was on a much "faster" bike. And oh, yeah. He had his wife on the back.

I ride FL Harley's pretty well. Not the fastest guy I know, but not the slowest. I like the rake, the engine braking, and the "balance" (especially on uphill mountain twisties) and if you can master the torque curve, you can have a great time feckin' with the fastbikes for a couple of corners ( or until the first straightaway). Especially fun if you catch them in the wrong gear. lol

*There are exceptions. Some of the modified crap-bikes people are riding on this thread shouldn't be on the road. Any road. At all. Ever. My comments are about relatively modern, well-maintained bikes.
I've been on the recieving end few times myself, i wont deny that, 50 years of riding, i'd need to be bloody good, not to be ever passed by an other rider. This instance with the road king just comes to mind because it was so unexpected. I think he didnt like being passed by a trail bike, 990ADV. We both turned from a t-intersection, he coming from the opposite direction, he was going slower so i overtook him. I had a glance at him as i went by, bloke maybe my age, 60 something. He was immediately right up my back tyre. I gave it bit of wick, and then some more and he was just sticking with me. We were doing some silly speeds by the time i finally lost him in the mirrors. The limit on that road was 80 kmh, going double that at times. The cops would have had a field day, two old fart's racing each other
Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #7088
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

My Gosh. Maybe I have an Aussie twin. ;) Just have fun out there. That's all I ever do.

I just took my Hardley XR1200 out for a quick spin. Couldn't find anybody to terrorize so I am heading home.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #7089
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqrsI...eature=related

Nothing to do with Deal's Gap except the failure part. I like Top Gear, but for an open road, man, these guys have little regard for the white line.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #7090
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
. I like Top Gear, but for an open road, man, these guys have little regard for the white line.
The French road looked like a closed course to me, James parked in the road for their commentary. When you think about the width of the car compared to the width of that road they're not far off from what we get to do on a bike when we use our whole lane.
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #7091
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
The French road looked like a closed course to me. When you think about the width of the car compared to the width of that road they're not far off from what we get to do on a bike when we use our whole lane.
You may be right, and given that they've got camera men all over, chances are reasonably good. Still, I didn't hear them mention that (correct me if I'm wrong), and from my experience, it's on par with the general hubris of people who own and drive supercars like those. It'd be nice if they could set an example of "stay in your own damn lane!"

I will say also, taking a Lotus and Alfa on Latigo canyon road and the likes, part of the fun and challenge is keeping it within the lines. It makes the corners tighter, finding a good line harder and the whole experience more exhilerating. My .02
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #7092
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
You may be right, and given that they've got camera men all over, chances are reasonably good. Still, I didn't hear them mention that (correct me if I'm wrong),

I will say also, taking a Lotus and Alfa on Latigo canyon road and the likes, part of the fun and challenge is keeping it within the lines. It makes the corners tighter, finding a good line harder and the whole experience more exhilerating. My .02
Probably because they aren't in America and don't have to fill the show with dumbass disclaimers to avoid being sued by some dumbshit claiming they did something because they saw it on TV.

Here there was a commercial where they were driving on the moon and the damn thing had a disclaimer saying not to try it.

Disclaimer at 13 seconds-
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #7093
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
I was cooking along on 211, the VA "Dragon" a few years ago. I mean I was really haulin ass! Admiring myself and my super skills, I was suddenly humbled as a 17 passenger MaxiVan full of Boy Scouts passed me with a wave on the outside.

Many of us think we are fast and know it all, few do!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #7094
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,580

That happens to me ---- all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I was cooking along on 211, the VA "Dragon" a few years ago. I mean I was really haulin ass! Admiring myself and my super skills, I was suddenly humbled as a 17 passenger MaxiVan full of Boy Scouts passed me with a wave on the outside.

Jim
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #7095
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,885

I guess we agree once a year, it must be Jan 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote