Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #766
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I am all for letting people by, but I am not big on sharing my lane. I don't do it, with people I know, I sure don't want to do it with people whose skill I don't know.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #767
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,228
On that road, if someone rides up on my ass I'd pull over and let them by. I know they're there to have fun, why should I slow them up?

Hell, really on any twisty road, if someone on a bike or in a car catches up to me, I'll hit the fog line to let them by.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #768
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Pull your head out of your ass and move over. its not that hard people. I do it all the time.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #769
Cranky Yankee
exulcero

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I would think with all the micro breweries making 6°-7°-9° beers now they would let them import the real stuff over here.
It is possible:
http://ruebensburgerbistro.com/beverage-menu/

And the bus services in the area is decent too.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #770
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I am all for letting people by, but I am not big on sharing my lane. I don't do it, with people I know, I sure don't want to do it with people whose skill I don't know.
I agree. If there is a place to pull over fine. I didn't see one in that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Pull your head out of your ass and move over. its not that hard people. I do it all the time.
So I guess you would feel the same if some cage came up on your ass too? You'd probably be bitchin about the asshole riding my tail...

Who's to say the bike in front wasn't going to pull over at a safe spot? Lot's of armchair riders here.
Like I said the guy appeared to be doing the SPEED LIMIT. The ass on the sport bike was wanting to go fast and paid the price of being impatient.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #771
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"The ass on the sport bike was wanting to go fast and paid the price of being impatient"

Diving in to pass someone on the inside (right hander) is just plain stupid outside of a track. Thank goodness that "Rocket Boy" appeared to get off lightly and didn't take anyone else out while he was demonstrating his squidliness factor.

Anybody who criticizes the guy who was in the front for "not going fast enough" is a dickwad. If you want to haul ass, it's up to you to figure out how to pass the other guys safely. If you are that damn good and fast, you should be able to fly by un-noticed. It's always good form to hang back for a moment and let the other guy have a chance to show good form by moving over and waving you by.

Squids... they're everywhere!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #772
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"The ass on the sport bike was wanting to go fast and paid the price of being impatient"

Diving in to pass someone on the inside (right hander) is just plain stupid outside of a track. Thank goodness that "Rocket Boy" appeared to get off lightly and didn't take anyone else out while he was demonstrating his squidliness factor.

Anybody who criticizes the guy who was in the front for "not going fast enough" is a dickwad. If you want to haul ass, it's up to you to figure out how to pass the other guys safely. If you are that damn good and fast, you should be able to fly by un-noticed. It's always good form to hang back for a moment and let the other guy have a chance to show good form by moving over and waving you by.

Even in Russia: passing on the inside, speeding, not seeing giant orange truck and mad braking skilz. Hilarity ensues.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #773
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Sadly crushing the hopes and dreams of engineers at BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo, as well as the safety nazis at the TUV, the NHTSA, the DOT, and the IIHS; In the real world stupidity always trumps technology.

The sooner you recognize this, the easier it will be for you to realize that flying unicorns (although beautiful) will rain shit on your world and ruin your ride.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #774
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Sadly crushing the hopes and dreams of engineers at BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo, as well as the safety nazis at the TUV, the NHTSA, the DOT, and the IIHS; In the real world stupidity always trumps technology.

The sooner you recognize this, the easier it will be for you to realize that flying unicorns (although beautiful) will rain shit on your world and ruin your ride.
...but at least they can FEEL SAFE while being brainless.

F.W.I.W. I enjoy taking turns in a sporty fashion as much as the next guy but, I think there's a distinct difference between riding sporty and recklessly.
Sporty = you can control the outcome when shit goes wrong.
Reckless = is when shit happens and you crash because you didn't leave enough reaction time/space for the shit to happen in.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #775
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Even in Russia: passing on the inside, speeding, not seeing giant orange truck and mad braking skilz. Hilarity ensues.
The guy in the hi-viz vest says "I was warning you". He is hard to see on a video from the wide angle camera, but he was on the right side about 7 seconds into the video.

Russia- the only county where you can get rear ended in the oncoming lane.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #776
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I'm blaming on that ultra-annoying blinky light on the slow bike in front
You mean, the safely driven bike in front. Yeah, I think the guy was on the brake a bit too much, but who gives a crap? HE WAS DRIVING SAFELY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1 Matt View Post
If someone wants to go faster than you and you notice them, move to the right part of the lane and wave them by. That sport bike guy could have been following these guys for the entire video for all we know. The longer he waited, the more sketchy pass he was willing to make.
So it's the safely operating individual to blame for Ricky Racer being a dickhead? How does that work?

Quote:
I would have done the same thing except for the skidding into the ditch thing.
So you're a dangerous, accident-causing squid? Marvellous. Folks like you raise my insurance rates. Here's a clue: DO IT ON THE TRACK.

Quote:
Slow traffic move right!
If seen. And if slow < speed limit. The speed limit on the Dragon is 35 MPH. It seems to me that the bikes we're watching (including blinkie-light guy) are doing about that. Which is radar enforced. SO WHAT'S THE GODDAMN PROBLEM?

Quote:

Anybody who criticizes the guy who was in the front for "not going fast enough" is a dickwad.

Amen.

Quote:
It's always good form to hang back for a moment and let the other guy have a chance to show good form by moving over and waving you by.
Quote:
Bingo.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #777
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
318 turns in 11 miles, there isn't much room to pull over and let someone buy. I would if I could, but thats just life.

I might have lets some speed bikes pass me on one run through.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #778
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
On that road, if someone rides up on my ass I'd pull over and let them by. I know they're there to have fun, why should I slow them up?

Hell, really on any twisty road, if someone on a bike or in a car catches up to me, I'll hit the fog line to let them by.

Bingo, It doesn't happen often, but if someone wants to go faster , I just check up for a second and let them go. I wish people would do the same for me........sigh.

An yes, car bike and In Europe I even pulled right to let a BICYCLE go by!! In my defense I was being held up by an Englishman

PFFOG screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 05:46 PM
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #779
Recker1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Wait... so while safely negotiating this lengthy series of sharp turns and blind corners, you suggest also having watch out for the a-holes riding up behind you and somehow finding a way to safely "move over" to let them by? Ya - that's real bright. That dude got what he deserved - I'm just glad he didn't take out the guy in front of him.
Recker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #780
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker1 View Post
Wait... so while safely negotiating this lengthy series of sharp turns and blind corners, you suggest also having watch out for the a-holes riding up behind you and somehow finding a way to safely "move over" to let them by? Ya - that's real bright. That dude got what he deserved - I'm just glad he didn't take out the guy in front of him.
I agree the guy made a foolish pass, and put himself and others in danger, and THAT IS THE POINT! Had the riders just checked up for a split second and let him by, he may not have made a foolish pass and all would have been safer,..............just saying.

And NO I don't expect you to ride with your eyes in the mirrors, but should you see a faster vehicle in your mirrors, just be courteous, AND safe, and let them go by.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote