ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #796
lemieuxmc
Banned
 
lemieuxmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East La Jolla... it's just Clairemont!!
Oddometer: 3,360
If the faster rider is worth a crap and really is faster (i.e. more skillful) it's no big deal to pass someone. As I said before, it's really bad form to swoop someone on a public road without giving them a chance to move over and check up.

By the way, I've been passed on narrow, twisty fire roads and MX tracks by some pretty big name riders like Sue Fish, Gaylon Mosier, Ron Lechien and Scot Harden, and none of them crashed or cut off my line while doing it (although they pretty much all gave me a face full of roost).

The only problem that I have with squids crashing themselves into road kill is that they often take someone with them and it raises my insurance rates.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #797
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit
 
gelandestrasse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
If the faster rider is worth a crap and really is faster (i.e. more skillful) it's no big deal to pass someone. As I said before, it's really bad form to swoop someone on a public road without giving them a chance to move over and check up.

By the way, I've been passed on narrow, twisty fire roads and MX tracks by some pretty big name riders like Sue Fish, Gaylon Mosier, Ron Lechien and Scot Harden, and none of them crashed or cut off my line while doing it (although they pretty much all gave me a face full of roost).

The only problem that I have with squids crashing themselves into road kill is that they often take someone with them and it raises my insurance rates.
Passing on a double yellow in North Carolina will get you a ticket.
__________________
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln
gelandestrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #798
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,364
Is it really that scary / dangerous / difficult to pull over to the right and let soemone by? Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

It's really just that simple, you slow-riding, lane-hogging, drama queens.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #799
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk
 
DELTATANGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 13,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Is it really that scary / dangerous / difficult to pull over to the right and let soemone by? Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

It's really just that simple, you slow-riding, lane-hogging, drama queens.
He came up on him too fast. The front guy didn't have time to see and react.

Squidly was going too fast and ran off the road, simple.

Slow down Squidly.

That road is a bitch. It is tight and crowded with all blind curves. It's not a lot of fun after the novelty wears off.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #800
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
He came up on him too fast. The front guy didn't have time to see and react.

Squidly was going too fast and ran off the road, simple.

Slow down Squidly.

That road is a bitch. It is tight and crowded with all blind curves. It's not a lot of fun after the novelty wears off.
I'm talking generally. I agree squid-boy was a nitwit. I'd rather have a nitwit in front of me instead of behind me.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #801
C-Stain
Banned
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 5,000
I've been a Professional Driver for the past 16 years. I've taken High Speed, High Force Driving Courses, I've taken Low Force Driving Courses. I've taken Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator Courses. I've also taken my mandatory Defensive Driving Courses and been trained to drive Heavy Truck by the local Driver Examiner. I've spent the biggest portion of my career on the road.

What I have always been taught is that the "Speed Limit" is the upper most speed which you can drive. You're not supposed to drive faster than that. It does not mean that you can't drive SLOWER than the posted limit. And at a certain level below the posted limit, you are supposed to use your Four Way Flashers to indicate to other drivers that you are a slower vehicle. I have read nothing in the LOCAL vehicle code that requires anyone to Yield to faster traffic, or wave them past. Mind you, I could be forgetting something I learned long ago.

I fail to understand why many of the riders in this forum seem to believe they are above the law and that slower traffic should always yield to them when they want to go faster. Is it annoying to get behind Gramma and Grandpa when they're out for their Sunday drive? Damn Straight. But they're not breaking the law.

Would it be courteous to pull to the right and let faster traffic pass? Sure. It would also be nice if traffic would get out of the way of my Ambulance or Rescue Truck with lights and sirens, but that doesn't always happen either. In many jurisdictions I believe its illegal for a vehicle to pass another in its own lane, unless the first vehicle is on the shoulder.

While some of the pictures in this thread clearly illustrate a "failure to ride prudently", I just can't understand why every thread here has to turn into a Cruiser/Harley bashing thread, thinly veiled as it may be. The first couple of pictures show that some BMW riders clearly can't navigate the Dragon either.

The most important lesson I ever learned in MSF Class was this, "Ride your own Ride." And it still rings true today.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #802
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I agree the guy made a foolish pass, and put himself and others in danger, and THAT IS THE POINT! Had the riders just checked up for a split second and let him by, he may not have made a foolish pass and all would have been safer,..............just saying.
Given the video, buddy was probably going twice the limit, if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
But Ricky Racer could have (and should have) been waved past by the lead rider in the video.
So what you're saying is that I'm not supposed to watch my line, keep an eye out for shitheads in the oncoming lane, but rather shift considerable parts of my focus to watching out for unsafe idiots coming up behind me at twice the posted speed limit, and assume that their primary behaviour will be illegal, unsafe and impatient acts and pull over on a blind curve where there's heavy traffic, possibly putting myself at risk to compensate for an asshat that can't behave nicely in public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.
It's really just that simple, you slow-riding, lane-hogging, drama queens.
I had this exact scenario happen to me in the Kootenays. I was moving along at a decent clip, at the limit, certainly taking the corners at a brisk pace, and I had some assclown in an old retro harley/triumph or some such come behind me doing at least 40 over. I/we were in a serious set of twisties, with few places to pull over. Buddy didn't wait more than 25 seconds before he passed into a blind right corner on a double-yellow line at a pace that certainly out-rode his old rusty disc brakes.

To hear tell from the pro-squid folks here, I was supposed to be psychic, know that someone dangerous to my health was coming up at high speed before it happened and pull over at a flat spot that didn't exist so that I didn't disturb fuckwit's ride.

So, when do you guys go to the dangerous high-speed-passing squids and lecture them about their stupidity affecting MY ride?

Why does fast, dangerous and stupid have to win over safe and responsible?

Answer that, folks, and you'll have the answer as to why people keep trying to restrict MY freedoms because of someone else's stupidity.
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #803
x_hog_ridr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
x_hog_ridr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hypoluxo, Florida
Oddometer: 274
I safely pass slower bikes and wave the faster bikes by.
I pass because I want to go faster than the bike in front of me.
I wave them by because it is the courteous thing to do. (do unto others)

Why can't we all get along?
__________________
2011 BMW R1200RT
2005 BMW GS (Traded in)
2013 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
x_hog_ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #804
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr View Post
I safely pass slower bikes and wave the faster bikes by.
I pass because I want to go faster than the bike in front of me.
I wave them by because it is the courteous thing to do. (do unto others)
Correct... very simple. Amazing more folks can't comprehend that little nugget.


Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr View Post
Why can't we all get along?
Rhetorical?
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #805
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,364
Some of you "Adventure Riders" have an interesting perception of danger and risk level. "Tiera del Fuego? The Yukon? Hell, maybe I'll do 'em, both this Summ ... OMG, there's someone behind me! He wants to pass! Can't that idiot see this lane is only 12 feet wide?! OMGx2! I a pull off somewhere and report this to advrider!"
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #806
C-Stain
Banned
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Correct... very simple. Amazing more folks can't comprehend that little nugget.

Simple. Yes. Necessary? No. Illegal? In some jurisdictions. The point is...everyone has the right to enjoy the roads. IF they do that at their own speed and aren't breaking any laws, what's the problem? If YOU want to go faster...why don't YOU pull off and wait for a clear line to do so?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #807
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Simple. Yes. Necessary? No. Illegal? In some jurisdictions. The point is...everyone has the right to enjoy the roads. IF they do that at their own speed and aren't breaking any laws, what's the problem? If YOU want to go faster...why don't YOU pull off and wait for a clear line to do so?
Counter productive, because not only are you sitting there twiddling your thumbs (not terribly fun in full leathers....stopped = hot).....but you are going to be right back on their ass in a matter of minutes.

Why is waving people by so hard?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #808
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post

So what you're saying is that I'm not supposed to watch my line, keep an eye out for shitheads in the oncoming lane, but rather shift considerable parts of my focus to watching out for unsafe idiots coming up behind me at twice the posted speed limit, and assume that their primary behaviour will be illegal, unsafe and impatient acts and pull over on a blind curve where there's heavy traffic, possibly putting myself at risk to compensate for an asshat that can't behave nicely in public?
If you're riding the "Dragon" then yes. You headed there because you read about it on the internet. You knew how twisty it was going to be. You knew how people would be riding, because again, you read about it on the internet. There's a reason that there's a tree with all kinds of motorcycle parts hanging from it. You read about that on the internet too.

I'm not saying I agree with how the road is ridden by many of the folks that ride it, because it is ultimately a public road, but you know what you're getting into by going there, so keep your head out of your ass because there are plenty of folks who won't keep theirs out of theirs. Keeping your head out of your ass means knowing not only what is front of you, but also what is trying to crawl up your ass, and since your head isn't up there you probably also want to keep someone elses out of there too.

You can blah blah blah the speed limit all you want, I've only seen the cops pull over 18 wheelers for going through there. You went to the "Dragon", you decided to go to the "Dragon", so stop whining about all the aggressive riders.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 08:02 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #809
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post






A lot of states have laws against sharing lanes including passing in the same lane. Just like being nice when you have the right of way and letting someone have said right of way ie:throwing the laws pertaining the who has legal right of way out the window. YOU can be held responsible if it causes and accident.

You guys had your panties all in a wad with the pics of people in the oncoming lanes but with a 3 minute video you have
A: decided the lead bike rider is a dick because he didn't pull over immediately to let someone pass who may or may not have been behind them for 2 miles or 10'. I must have missed the backwards camera angle to determine that.
B: sided with the squid that you can SEE crossed the double yellow line for an unsafe pass an proceeded to fixate on and run into the ditch with a locked up rear tire. Seems to me HE is the Noob and shouldn't be on that road...or any road if that's the best he can do.

Without actually being there that day at that moment it's all speculation.

I'm all for letting someone go on around. It's nice to have a probe unit to clear the way of LEO's running radar.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #810
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I'm talking generally. I agree squid-boy was a nitwit. I'd rather have a nitwit in front of me instead of behind me.
Generally yes, but too many armchair riders dissected that short video into "pull the f*#k over you slow MF". That's what the discussion started out from but turned a corner in a generalization...
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014