Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #46
JGR
I ride in jeans.

Oddometer: 99
I run the rear on my XR600R and it does it all well, except for side-hilling, but thats to be expected with a rounded profile. It's dry and rocky where I live and I ride tough trails. Good traction and good wear for a good price. Get the biggest one, they run small.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,101
Anyone seen one of these T63's do this? Only has 1400 on it- though it was pretty abused on that one trip through the desert and mountains from Cali to Colorado the last four days. I have abused 606's and MT21's the same way with no cracked carcasses... I like the tire though- not really complaining- got me through the trip and performed well.

I ran 28 psi in it and pretty much every other big center block is ripped.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Never seen a t63 do that, but I've only run and seen one rear. The 606 i have on the rear of my Husky currently has two lugs that look similar though. I just run the tires I like and figure some meet better QC standards than others.

Similar pressure on my 606 and t63 as you are running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Anyone seen one of these T63's do this? Only has 1400 on it- though it was pretty abused on that one trip through the desert and mountains from Cali to Colorado the last four days. I have abused 606's and MT21's the same way with no cracked carcasses... I like the tire though- not really complaining- got me through the trip and performed well.

John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #49
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
Never seen a t63 do that, but I've only run and seen one rear. The 606 i have on the rear of my Husky currently has two lugs that look similar though. I just run the tires I like and figure some meet better QC standards than others.

Similar pressure on my 606 and t63 as you are running.
Thanks. Don't know. Maybe 28-30 is too high running loaded through the desert in hot sand and rocks? Even with all the cracks, I still ran it all the way home (additional 800 miles with a bunch of high speed tarmac) I'll probably buy another and try again.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #50
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Thanks. Don't know. Maybe 28-30 is too high running loaded through the desert in hot sand and rocks? Even with all the cracks, I still ran it all the way home (additional 800 miles with a bunch of high speed tarmac) I'll probably buy another and try again.
I've had both a 606 and T63 do that on the back of my 640. They were both well abused but continued to hold up. Shit I'm still running one that looks jsut like that and am not very worried.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #51
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
Quote:

Mine did the same thing. I dumped the T63 and went back to GP-1's. The T63 front sucks in loose stuff or at angles.
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #52
david290361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Any more T63 users out there care to add to this? What ya think of them?
I run them on my KLR650 and love them. Bike just turned 5 years old in November, has 12500 km up and they are my second front tyre and third rear tyre, not counting probably 1000 km on OEM rubber which were ditched quick smart.

First front didn't really wear out but I found cracks in the rubber - probably age related. The bike get used for quick runs to the shops during most of the year, but gets belted around fire trails mostly.

Getting back to the original question however, I had seen on the Michelin Website a number of years ago that they had been discontinued, however local bike shop contacted the NSW importer and placed an order and some 3 months later they arrived. Don't try and order during European Summer as there is always a shortage at this time. I order 2 rear and 1 front at a time so I have spares available.
david290361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #53
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,967
Quote:

Hmm
Never seen that happen.

Don't you think 28psi is a tad high for loose surfaces ? Think I'm running a fair bit lower than that

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #54
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by david290361 View Post
I run them on my KLR650 and love them. Bike just turned 5 years old in November, has 12500 km up and they are my second front tyre and third rear tyre, not counting probably 1000 km on OEM rubber which were ditched quick smart.

First front didn't really wear out but I found cracks in the rubber - probably age related. The bike get used for quick runs to the shops during most of the year, but gets belted around fire trails mostly.

Getting back to the original question however, I had seen on the Michelin Website a number of years ago that they had been discontinued, however local bike shop contacted the NSW importer and placed an order and some 3 months later they arrived. Don't try and order during European Summer as there is always a shortage at this time. I order 2 rear and 1 front at a time so I have spares available.
Be sure to store them cool and dark..... they're stiff enough brand new and a bitch to mount if they're old

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #55
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Hmm
Never seen that happen.

Don't you think 28psi is a tad high for loose surfaces ? Think I'm running a fair bit lower than that
I run all my rears, t63s included anywhere from 14-21psi, depending on my planned riding in mt te 610. Mostly 50/50 slab/ dirt roads/trails.
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #56
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
I have torn knobs on just about every brand. My current MT21's have maybe 800 miles on them and the front has a couple of knobs torn like that. The back probably does too. But it is too smoked for me to worry about checking. Rocks are hell on tires.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #57
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Hmm
Never seen that happen.

Yes, I think it was a bit high on psi and probably helped the cracking, but we were riding through some shitty rocky stuff and I did not want to flat the back (you know how much a bitch it is to change those rear tires on the beemer rims) Funny story is that I was really plowing the front end in the deep sand and thought I would lower the pressure, which I did. Well, not 5 minutes after lowering it, we rode through a lava rock section at high speed and I flatted the front . Big lava rocks make good center stands as it works out and sand is easy to dig in to get the wheel off. Luckly it was only like 90 degrees in the shade of my buddy's KLR while I changed the tube

I am a psi nerd with my work- pro mountain bike team mechanic. Sometimes on certain race courses, we run higher pressure for extra flat prevention at the cost of handling. Just makes the ride more exciting right?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #58
Sprig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I just mounted a T-63; a 110/80 x 18 on the back of my Suzuki DR200SE.

Replaced the factory DeathWings. OH MY OH MY OH MY OH MY OH MY

The front DeathWing now has to go ...

I got the rear T-63 from Motorcycle Superstore for $69 delivered.

I installed it myself, with a small crowbar I took to a grinder and wire wheel to smooth all the edeges. It was a $7 tool with about 10 minutes spent on the bench grinder/wire-wheel machine.

The sidewall is REALLY stiff; much harder to install then it was to remove the DeathWings. I also had to take the tire pressure up to 75PSI for the bead to seat fully.

Riding, ... just AWESOME over the DeathWings. I can only compare the one other tire, I'm a noob, not an expert.

On road, I can not explain why, but my subconscious mind was afraid of the DeathWings. With the T-63 all confidence is there. I can pretend to play Super Motard with this rear tire and lean it over much farther and much faster then the DeathWings.

In sand, or other loose stuff other then pavement, there just is NO comparison. My friend got on my bike and did a full 45% up angle wheelie on some fairly hard dirt. He wasn't expecting the rear to grab, and the front end lifted in good form!

Other T-63 owners/riders have stated that above 50 MPH the knobbies start to howl. Well, did I get lucky or what? There "WAS" a high rpm vibe before the tire change; it was how I figured it was time to shift. THAT vibration went away completely... And, there is LESS vibrations at 50, even 60, then with the factory DeathWing tire.

I got completely different results then I expected in the vibrations experienced. My machine is now SMMOOOTTTHH...

If there is a BETTER tire then T-63 I'm interested! But, for the time and bucks so far involved that I have personally experienced, another T-63 is expected to by in my next shopping cart.
Sprig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #59
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I have torn knobs on just about every brand. My current MT21's have maybe 800 miles on them and the front has a couple of knobs torn like that. The back probably does too. But it is too smoked for me to worry about checking. Rocks are hell on tires.
Quote:
Yes, I think it was a bit high on psi and probably helped the cracking, but we were riding through some shitty rocky stuff and I did not want to flat the back (you know how much a bitch it is to change those rear tires on the beemer rims) Funny story is that I was really plowing the front end in the deep sand and thought I would lower the pressure, which I did. Well, not 5 minutes after lowering it, we rode through a lava rock section at high speed and I flatted the front . Big lava rocks make good center stands as it works out and sand is easy to dig in to get the wheel off. Luckly it was only like 90 degrees in the shade of my buddy's KLR while I changed the tube

I am a psi nerd with my work- pro mountain bike team mechanic. Sometimes on certain race courses, we run higher pressure for extra flat prevention at the cost of handling. Just makes the ride more exciting right?
Yeah

Off the top of my head I think I'm running about 18-19 on all surfaces (unless I know I'll be hauling highwaymiles to get from A-B, then I'll max it acc to the swingarm sticker)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #60
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
I just mounted a T-63; ........... had to take the tire pressure up to 75PSI for the bead to seat fully.
Changing tires by hand is like analsex - not enough lube and it's just a pain in the ass

I seat mine with a handpump at around 30-35 psi. If it's just a little off sometimes it helps bouncing the wheel on the ground to get it seated.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !