ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #121
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
weight of the bike & rider, abrasion of the road surface, how aggressive you accelerate & brake. sound like you ride hard and agressive as your #s are low on an average. high pressure doesn't always equal highest mileage. on my Dr it's 25psi.
Just pulled one off my 450 today. Had about 950 miles on it and it never would hook up all day. Honestly the thing should have been replaced 100 miles ago. Oh well, the MT-21 I just put on that I got from Cycle Gear for $1.99 can wear out in 500 miles and I won't care LOL. Got to love when the mis-price something!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #122
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive never once got over 3500 miles out of any rear tire,3000 is more the norm. Thats for a full street tire.
For any dual purpose tire 2000 miles would be a miracle.
LOL, I get 1200-1300 miles out of Pirelli Diablo Corsa's that I run on my 690 tarded and used to run on my R1. The R1 with 153 RWHP and running 100 + quite a bit, the 690 with 53 RWHP and never getting much over 90 yet both got the same mileage out of a rear tire. Go figure.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #123
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,819
Let's see if I can revive this thread with a new wierd question:

I have an '83 Honda XL600 that has been partially converted to supermoto, using an 18" rear rim from a '79 XL250 on the front hub. In the past, I ran a Kenda K761 120-18 (rear tire) on the front, 130-17 on the rear. I think the 120 front was a bit too big, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I now have a street/adv Aprilia, so I want to get the ol' Honda back on the dirt. I am thinking of running the Michelin T-63, but front 18" tires are hard to come by.

How do you think it would work to run the 110/80-18 (rear tire) on the front, and the 130/80-17 on the rear?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #124
VikB
Studly Adventurer
 
VikB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 566


I put a set of T63's on my KLR this spring to replace the stock Dunlops for gravel/dirt logging road riding. They went on easy with my tool kit tire levers. They've been great so far and handle the highway miles no problem....
__________________
safe riding,

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #125
rotten
LOST AGAIN
 
rotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Soquel, CA
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Let's see if I can revive this thread with a new wierd question:

I have an '83 Honda XL600 that has been partially converted to supermoto, using an 18" rear rim from a '79 XL250 on the front hub. In the past, I ran a Kenda K761 120-18 (rear tire) on the front, 130-17 on the rear. I think the 120 front was a bit too big, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I now have a street/adv Aprilia, so I want to get the ol' Honda back on the dirt. I am thinking of running the Michelin T-63, but front 18" tires are hard to come by.

How do you think it would work to run the 110/80-18 (rear tire) on the front, and the 130/80-17 on the rear?
Good question, T-63s do have a round profile I'd try to find 100/80 if possible.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #126
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer
 
NateLePain's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Central AR
Oddometer: 4,730
I've been trying to buy a new T63 17" for about a month now but without luck. I contacted Goodyear USA, today and was told that they rely on Goodyear France for updates on b/o items. Presently there is no info available, no ETA, not even a promise of an ETA. So I guess it's time for me to move on to another tire, probably a 17" Shinko 244, to match the 19" 244 that I've had on my front wheel, for the last 8K+ miles.

Thx...nlp
__________________
Instagram - http://instagram.com/natelepain#

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #127
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
I've been trying to buy a new T63 17" for about a month now but without luck. I contacted Goodyear USA, today and was told that they rely on Goodyear France for updates on b/o items. Presently there is no info available, no ETA, not even a promise of an ETA. So I guess it's time for me to move on to another tire, probably a 17" Shinko 244, to match the 19" 244 that I've had on my front wheel, for the last 8K+ miles.

Thx...nlp
just bought one in Calgary, AB for a 1980 XT250 its a 130-17" size... you should try dual sport plus in Ontario Canada. They should be able to get you one at a reasonable price.
__________________
Trans-Canol 2014ish
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #128
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
just bought one in Calgary, AB for a 1980 XT250 its a 130-17" size... you should try dual sport plus in Ontario Canada. They should be able to get you one at a reasonable price.
I like Dual Sport Plus, and they are very reasonable for Canada, but tires in Canada are a lot more than the US. And shipping would be expensive too, I bet at least $50. I was recently quoted $40 to ship a tire from Pete's Superbike in Quebec to Ontario. NateLePain would have to want one really badly to pay more than double.

I bought an MT-21 front for my bike recently, got several quotes; all were within $1, and all were 30% more than US mail-order. But I like to support local stores (including Dual Sport Plus) when I can, and I didn't want to wait any longer to lose the OEM Trailwing, so I bought it locally.

I got a quote on a T-63 recently (Toronto area), with a discount, for just over $100 + tax. The same tire from Motorcycle Superstore is $68 (no tax), and free shipping with $100 orders.

Motorcycle Superstore does not have the 17" size. They only recently got 120-80/18 in stock. I plan to order one soon, to pick-up next trip South of the border.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #129
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
I've been trying to buy a new T63 17" for about a month now but without luck. I contacted Goodyear USA, today and was told that they rely on Goodyear France for updates on b/o items. Presently there is no info available, no ETA, not even a promise of an ETA. So I guess it's time for me to move on to another tire, probably a 17" Shinko 244, to match the 19" 244 that I've had on my front wheel, for the last 8K+ miles.

Thx...nlp
T63 is made by Michelin http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/
(Dunno if Michelin and GoodYear are the same company or if GoodYear might be the importer of Michelin to the sattes though)
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #130
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer
 
NateLePain's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Central AR
Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
T63 is made by Michelin http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/
(Dunno if Michelin and GoodYear are the same company or if GoodYear might be the importer of Michelin to the sattes though)
Thanks. I meant Michelin. I deal with Goodyear Rubber and Hose, on a daily basis, simply mistyped.

nlp
__________________
Instagram - http://instagram.com/natelepain#

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #131
moose209
I lurk alot...
 
moose209's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, CA (Previously Modesto, CA)
Oddometer: 10
Super size me...

so after waayyy tooo much online view of tires, I am 95% sure I want to get a set of T-63's now, but I need a little help for the forum crew here. I do like how those IRC TR8 look too... Just trying to iron out the details.

I have my XR650L with the stock wheel (18-2.15) and I want to put on a T-63 in the back that will fit nice and wide, but not rub the chain, especially after it gets nice and hot. Im fairly sertain that the 120/80-18 will fit, but what about the 130/80-18? I have Pirelli Scorpion 120/80-18 that are going to get taken off, and they look hella skinny.
Im hoping someone here has tried it out on thier XR and can give me the low down.

Thanks,
Moose
moose209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #132
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose209 View Post
so after waayyy tooo much online view of tires, I am 95% sure I want to get a set of T-63's now, but I need a little help for the forum crew here. I do like how those IRC TR8 look too... Just trying to iron out the details.

I have my XR650L with the stock wheel (18-2.15) and I want to put on a T-63 in the back that will fit nice and wide, but not rub the chain, especially after it gets nice and hot. Im fairly sertain that the 120/80-18 will fit, but what about the 130/80-18? I have Pirelli Scorpion 120/80-18 that are going to get taken off, and they look hella skinny.
Im hoping someone here has tried it out on thier XR and can give me the low down.

Thanks,
Moose
The Michelin T63 tires are much narrower than most other tires the same size. If you decide to purchase a T63 rear tire, I highly recommend you install the size 130/80-18 tire; it will easily fit inside the swingarm of your XR650L without rubbing the drive chain. However, be forewarned, this tire does not perform well in mud.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #133
moose209
I lurk alot...
 
moose209's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, CA (Previously Modesto, CA)
Oddometer: 10
Thanks SPUD! I heard it does great on wet pavement, and its pretty good on dry trails, semi rocky stuff. Thats good for me. I dont plan on getting too deep in some mud, but you never know. I ride this thing 365 and need tires that can do that, but with summer coming, california mud is hard to find.
Thanks again, off to get some 130's!
__________________
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING THE LONE WOLF.
moose209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #134
kirkallen143
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Navasota, Texas
Oddometer: 6
Howdy, this is the tire I would like to run on the rear of my '83 xr200 (twin-shock model). Looked thru most every thread/post here trying to find a pic of the 130/80-18 T63. There are pics but no one tells the size of the tire/rim. I've seen a pic of a new tire, but it was not mounted on the bike. Trying to see its actual size of the 130/80-18 T63 mounted on the rear of the bike, some say it runs skinnier than its marked size.
I will run a 2.15-18 rear rim with a 1.85-18 front rim, a T63 130/80-18 on the rear and a 100/100-18 IRC TR8 on the front. I guess I want that flat tracker-supermoto-dirt bike-yamaha TW-dual sport look. I like being different!

Anybody got a pic of it on the bike, a 130/80-18 T63?

Appreciate it,

Kirk
kirkallen143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #135
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,243
Just mounted one up a couple days ago on my 690. Not sure what seeing a pic of one mounted could possibly matter.



For comparison, next to an unmounted Shinko 520 that's going on next. It's a 120/100/18.

__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014