User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Boon Booni OP
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,218
Airhead Handlebars

I've got an R90/6 with American High Bars on it.

I'm looking for something a little more forward and about as wide. Nothing as narrow or forward as the European bars.

I realize I can't just buy any old handlebar because of the 21mm size of the beemer bars, so what are the options out there?

I heard someone mention a sidecar handlebar, but besides it being wider than the European bar(?), I don't know anything about it.

Thanks
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 749
I use the euro bars from tucker rocky #110530

under 20 bux and fit like a champ. they are a tad wider than my american bars but lower and a bit forward. i sanded the throttle side with 100 grit for 5 minutes and the throttle moves perfectly.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576
Can't help you on the bars, but that is a nice picture.

I may have to check out those bars recommended by Armadillofz1 myself
Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,968
I have the stock USA high bars on my R80 ST. Don't really like them becasue of the (to me) weird angles of the pullback and rise at the ends.

I tried Euro low bars (Maguras for /5 era bikes). Too narrow, too low for my aging neck bones, and slightly too forward.

I picked up a set of BMW F 650 GS bars a few months back. As soon as I get the ST back together soon, I'm going to give them a try. I like that shape bar as its very similar to the set on my F650 Funduro and it will be ever so slightly lower and forward of the stock USA bars. But not by too much. Given the common heritage of the R80 G/S and the ST, I'm thinking they may be my answer.

A similar bend may work for your /6 if they are not too wide for your preferences.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Have you looked at ATV bars?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
Kismet
vagrant philosopher

Oddometer: 387
Lovely bike.

Not gonna be much help since I've put "S" bars on all my twins. Wide enough, narrow enough, upright enough, lean a little bit. Some folks use a model of "K" bike bars, but it's been a while, can't specifiy which model.

Good luck.

Lovely bike.

'75 R90/6
'78 R100/7, well really, R80/7
'87 Radian/fj600
'81 C70--IT'S ALIVE !!!!
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
JimX
.. .

Oddometer: 681
I'm told that the BMW R100 Mystic bars might be close to what you are looking for, but BMW handlebar prices have gotten crazy stupid lately.

32712330330 handlebar heated grip, chrome BUY 1 $173.70

Flanders has a selection of 22mm BMW handlebars, with dimensions listed, on their website:

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...lebarsBMW.html

Good luck!
JimX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Boon Booni OP
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimX
I'm told that the BMW R100 Mystic bars might be close to what you are looking for, but BMW handlebar prices have gotten crazy stupid lately.

Flanders has a selection of 22mm BMW handlebars, with dimensions listed, on their website:

Good luck!
Thanks, for the tip on the mystic bars.

Yep, after I posted this I changed some of my search criteria and started getting hits to Flanders. Now I need to go dig out my other set of high bars and get some measurements so I know where to start from.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
I've got Slideways flattrack bars on my R65 mono - while not very high,they are 33in wide,with a 9in sweep.I've had to run high bar (RT) throttle cables and upper choke cable,but everything else is stock.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
The S bars work well for me, had them on my RS setup and now they are on a naked bike. I got some repos from Bob's BMW, which may be Flanders (sounds familiar). If so they are at least as good as stock.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Have a look at the Low Sidecar bars that Flanders sells. They are wider than the S or Euro bars, and have less pullback.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
ratsass
n00b

Oddometer: 4
R100/7 - Anyone installed sidecar handlebars?

Bike currently has the stock US bars. Looking for something a little lower and and wider. Have seen some folks discuss installing -- anyone gone ahead and done it?
- Cable swap required?
- Riding comfort / control impact?
Thanks!!
06 Ural Tourist - the beater
07 Triumph Bonneville - cafe
ratsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,453
I recently changed the bars on my /5, and didn't feel up to spending what all the metric bars cost. I got a set of drag bars, which have no rise and only slight pullback. They were made by a company called Bikemaster, and were nominally 7/8". I figured I'd have to sand/grind the chrome where the controls go, as I did a long time ago when I put clubmans on. To my delight and surprise, everything just slid right on with no work necessary. Bikemaster makes a whole bunch of different patterns, so I'm sure you could find something you like. I think I paid about $25 at Economy cycle, where I get parts for my RD350. They seem to be of good quality and appearance. Check them out and see what you think.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 364
I tried out some Suzuki V-Strom bars on my R65 monolever. I had a set kicking around the garage and they seemed just about right. I was also looking for something higher and wider than the K75S bar that I had on (the S bar is not much different). They are probably in between the US high and the S bar.

Controls, clamps and cables all work fine. I cut about 3/4" off each end to make them just right for me. I am sure you can find a good used set cheaply.

They are about 1" higher and an inch or so wider than the K75S bars. The width in effect shortens the reach. A nice compromise between too low and too high.

K75S bars for comparison

scarygary screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 07:54 AM Reason: Two more pics added.
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
K Sport bars

Someone above mentioned the K bike "S" bars, which I have used on a couple of bikes... this is what they look like without the plastic fairing:

I installed them with a fair amount of turn "down", to give them a jaunty cafe look, but they can certainly be installed with more levelled grips!