Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Colorado CJ OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshive
Think you should add something on the left inner side of the bracket... there's just so much empty space there that you could maybe put a small ammo can with your tools or something.
Yeah, I'll be installing a tool tube on that side. Just need to fab one up. I was thinking on putting another muffler end on it like I have seen some others do. If it is done right, you can't tell the difference between the tool tube and a regular muffler.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Man those look good on the bike. Great job.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
bretoneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Excellent solution!

Well done, looks great, easy / cheap to replace if damaged, which is prob very unlikely.

Couple questions: are those 20mm cans? Any chance of providing the rest of the inmates with some specs, eg angles, lengths, specific mounting locations etc for the purpose of saving any of us amateur fab'ers the time to do the layout work?

Or, as another inmate mentioned, any chance of fabbing up a couple of sets and offering them up for sale? Maybe just sell the bracket to save on shipping expense, and provide the mounting locations (and hardware used) to mount up the cans, leaving can procurement and painting to us inmates in our local markets.

Again, well done. Very sano.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
kshive
What the?!?

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretoneer
Or, as another inmate mentioned, any chance of fabbing up a couple of sets and offering them up for sale? Maybe just sell the bracket to save on shipping expense, and provide the mounting locations (and hardware used) to mount up the cans, leaving can procurement and painting to us inmates in our local markets.
+1 I'm interested if the price is right. Where did you get the ammo cans?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
LowAndSilent
Still a newb

Oddometer: 549
Now that is nice! Very good job on the setup.

I would also like to know if you'd be willing to help out a few of us by building some more sets.

Name your price.
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
Colorado CJ OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thanks guys. I bought the ammo cans from a local farm and ranch/ sporting goods/ surplus store called Jaks. They have a ton of the 20mm ammo cans and even some what look to be 2 gal. Nato gas tanks for $12.00 each.

As for building some more, I might be interested but I'd have to find some spare time to do them. The rack is in one piece, so there are no extra brackets that I could sell seperately. It also would make for a kind of large box to ship.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #22
LowAndSilent
Still a newb

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ
As for building some more, I might be interested but I'd have to find some spare time to do them. The rack is in one piece, so there are no extra brackets that I could sell seperately. It also would make for a kind of large box to ship.
If you find the spare time to build them I'll find some spare time to ride down to CO. It's not too far away from Washington.
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
bretoneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I'm in if you decide to sell 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ
Thanks guys. I bought the ammo cans from a local farm and ranch/ sporting goods/ surplus store called Jaks. They have a ton of the 20mm ammo cans and even some what look to be 2 gal. Nato gas tanks for $12.00 each.

Count me in if you decide to do so. Another option might be to weld up the two squares, cut and drill the brackets to length, and then let us inmates have the brackets welded to the squares in our local markets.

Re ammo cans, one of the inmates asked where they can be found. Many Army/Navy surplus stores carry them, as do a lot of ammo sellers, including, but not limited to, www.cheaperthandirt.com and others. I'm not endorsing cheaperthandirt, just providing at least one place where ammo boxes of different sizes can be found.

Thanks again, and super job on the rack/cargo setup. Really rugged and sano looking. Best luggage for the strom I've seen so far.