User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
wadel OP
Not n00b

Oddometer: 100
SE Washington/ID Ramblings

With the nice weather, I've been getting out as much as I can. A couple days ago, I went in search of a covered bridge I'd seen many years ago while putting around in my truck (you might remember the bridge from the cover of the local phone book a few years ago). Here is a nice Palouse river oxbow on the way:

Finally got across the river:

Here it is. Unfortunately, it's now a private bridge on private property so this is as close as i could get.

Yesterday, I decided to see how far I could get into the Blue Mtns and that turned out to be, not very far. Took Peola Road out of Clarkston (great road that requires great wrist constraint):

Turned onto Ruchert road and probably made it to the border of the Umatilla NF before turning around. Lots of snow, water and mud on the roads and not enough traction on my 90/10 tires.

Took Knotgrass road down to 12.

Found my dream home.

Took Howell Grade road up to Kirby Mayfield and then onto the Tramway road. Here are the remains of the top of the tramway:

I wanted to take the Wawawai Grade road down to the dam (not the paved one on the other side of the river) but the county has gated and abandoned the road. Too bad because it was a fun road.

Wawawai park from above:

Granite Point, aka "The Rock"

God dam

Today I went up a secret trail:

View from trail:

The first commandment for every good explorer is that an expedition has two points: the point of departure and the point of arrival. If you intention is to make the second theoretical point coincide with the actual point of arrival, don't think about the means - because the journey is a virtual space that finishes when it finishes, and there are as many means as there are different ways of "finishing." That is to say, the means are endless.
wadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,241
Beautiful big sky country
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadel

What's the history on the covered bridge?
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 296
Nice ride Wadel. Looks like you have some good paved and dirt road riding in your area, that is, once the snow melts at higher elevations. I think we are all waiting for that one Nice pics of the Columbia from the hills above
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
wadel OP
Not n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxrider
What's the history on the covered bridge?
I was wondering the same thing. I knew it had to be an old train bridge but that was about it. I posted the same pics on another forum I frequent and one of the members knew all kinds of info (I hope it's OK to post a link to another moto forum):

http://pnwriders.com/pictures/101525...ml#post1647506

The first commandment for every good explorer is that an expedition has two points: the point of departure and the point of arrival. If you intention is to make the second theoretical point coincide with the actual point of arrival, don't think about the means - because the journey is a virtual space that finishes when it finishes, and there are as many means as there are different ways of "finishing." That is to say, the means are endless.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
wadel OP
Not n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
Nice ride Wadel. Looks like you have some good paved and dirt road riding in your area, that is, once the snow melts at higher elevations. I think we are all waiting for that one Nice pics of the Columbia from the hills above
Almost the Columbia. It's the Snake river. Another couple weeks of nicer weather will certainly help get us up a bit higher.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Traverse
LostBearings

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Today I went up a secret trail:

View from trail:

Awesome pictures....
So did the secret trail get you over the mountain?....or did you have to double back on Idlers Rest?

The pictures of Wawawai are cool. You can almost see James and I fishing off the RR tracks.
Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Great pictures, where are all the trees?

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
wadel OP
Not n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverse
Awesome pictures....
So did the secret trail get you over the mountain?....or did you have to double back on Idlers Rest?

The pictures of Wawawai are cool. You can almost see James and I fishing off the RR tracks.
Hey Don. I crossed a gate and found the dreaded "no motorized vehicles" sign. Being the law abiding citizen I am, I turned back (it might've been the snow-filled draw that helped with my decision as well). You guys catch many bass?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
wadel OP
Not n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
Great pictures, where are all the trees?
By my calculations, there are trees in 64% of the pictures. Maybe you need some glasses.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
sparky0567
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Laugh Great RR

I need to venture off of hwy 12/124 this year and get up in there to ride around. Those are some great pics and its beautiful area around there. Thanks for the report!!
sparky0567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Traverse
LostBearings

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Hey Don. I crossed a gate and found the dreaded "no motorized vehicles" sign. Being the law abiding citizen I am, I turned back (it might've been the snow-filled draw that helped with my decision as well). You guys catch many bass?
I'm betting it was the snow that held you back Caught a bunch of trout all sizes and only one smallmouth...it was a good day. Funny I was looking at the otherside of the river wondering what kind of ride it would be like. Your post answered that question. Looked like fun. I want to check out that bridge too.
Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,831
Almost in my backyard, but have never seen that covered bridge. Gonna have to go for a ride to find it
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
wadel OP
Not n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater
Almost in my backyard, but have never seen that covered bridge. Gonna have to go for a ride to find it
If you want some hints on finding it, I can either give the direct directions or the long, scenic route directions.