Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
W/ a 5th wheel, he can stick her in the trailer & she can go to can any time she wants & he can listen to whatever he wants on the radio.

Win-win.
What about road head?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
What about road head?
I'll ask you one question.

How long have they been married?

And there ya go folks. Game, set, match.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

If the RV is a rockin', don't bother knockin'.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
lunachick
lurking since 03-01-2003

Oddometer: 15
My parents have it figured out. They were homeless for years except for this:

They tow a motorcycle trailer that fits all 4 of the BMW's. They spend most of the winter in California and don't have a car there.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #20
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,523
I lived in a class C for over 5 years. If I were ableto do it again I'd get a 5th wheel or travel trailer. A toy hauler type would be the ultimate IMO.

As other folks already mentioned, if you're planning to stay in one spot for more than a couple days, it's nice to not have to move your home anytime you want to go somewhere. A bike mitigates this to a point, but you're not going to take your propane botts for a refill on your bike.

Concerning propane, the tank on a class C or A is fixed to the chassis, not so on a TT or FW. You can get an "extend a stay kit" (t & pigtail to use portable propane botts), but then you're going to have to haul those somewhere when you're on the road.

Unless you have those fancy hydraulic levelers, leveling a motorhome is a PITA compared to leveling a TT/FW. Not every campsite is going to be level.

The overhead bunk in a class C is a pain. Whatever I got, it would be big enough for a dedicated bedroom. FW's shine in this area.

A big consideration for Mohos: if it's in the shop for any mechanical repairs or routine maintenance, so is your house.

As far as using the loo underway, the pressure on the outside of the rig will force the stinky gases from the holding tank into the coach if you open the shitter valve while driving.

Also w/ mohos, you pay a premium for the driving area, which is essentially worthless space when camped...to get the same amount of usable space in a moho as a TT/FW plan on getting one ~6' longer.

For full timing comfortably with 2, a 32' TT/FW is probably about as small as you want to go, add 6-8' onto that for a garage model.

Once folks start full-timing, they tend to stay in one spot a lot more than they originally planned. Moving every few days gets old quick when you have to level, hook up everything, put the awning up, etc, etc...
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
Between a 5th. wheel and a class "C" get the 5th. wheel or better yet do a gooseneck.

I've seen some 5th. wheel setups that have a nice garage in back for the toys.
The problem for me is they are huge and you can't get into some of the places I can with my little 24 ft. class "C".

In the 1 1/2 years I've been living in mine full time, I've paid to camp once at Death Valley Daze.

Paying for a space in an RV park or campground is getting more and more expensive. Nearing and sometimes more than a decent motel.

If you plan to move around a lot, then size and ability to maneuver is important.
a little off topic but since you don't pay for camping you would have the answer. where do fill up your water tanks at? on some trips I've taken I have stopped at national forest campgrounds and asked if I could get water without paying the camping fee. haven't been turned down yet but wonder if you have any other ideas.
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #22
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlsor
a little off topic but since you don't pay for camping you would have the answer. where do fill up your water tanks at? on some trips I've taken I have stopped at national forest campgrounds and asked if I could get water without paying the camping fee. haven't been turned down yet but wonder if you have any other ideas.

Usually where I dump my holding tanks. A lot of truck stops have a free dump station and some have potable water, some don't but I use a filter on the hose anyway. Often I find RV shops that have free dump with water available.

Here is a site listing dump stations.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
The Lincoln of motorhomes.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #24
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,795
Quote:
Interesting comments, all. Particularly the variability in them; one says "A," the next says "B, definitely."

I suspect this may be a personal decision more than anything else.

A friend in meatspace advised to get the motorhome. The wife can then walk around to the back and go to the bathroom while it's underway.
G'day Leo.

You have to decide how and where you plan to full time. That will help with what kind of rig to get. If you plan to be in a RV park or campground most of the time then having a bigger rig isn't as bad. Remember though, that some places you will want to go have a size limit and often it's 26' because of the road. Going up to Dante's Point in DV is one with a length limit.

For me, the loner, less is better guy, the small class "C" I have with my bike on the back has worked out pretty well. Sometimes I'd like having a car to drive and do some of my errands. If I plan well, I can be in the boonies for about 3 weeks without having to dump, get water or propane. Taking the bike into town to get groceries and do laundry
Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
I like the idea of keeping my mechanicals (tow vehicle) and trailer (living space) separate.

BUT it depends on what works for you, start doing some shopping. See whats out there. Alot of places rent campers, do a few trial runs.

maybe you'll end up with a truck camper and a bike trailer? who knows??? there are so many different ways to do it.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #26
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
G'day Leo.

You have to decide how and where you plan to full time. That will help with what kind of rig to get. If you plan to be in a RV park or campground most of the time then having a bigger rig isn't as bad. Remember though, that some places you will want to go have a size limit and often it's 26' because of the road. Going up to Dante's Point in DV is one with a length limit.

For me, the loner, less is better guy, the small class "C" I have with my bike on the back has worked out pretty well. Sometimes I'd like having a car to drive and do some of my errands. If I plan well, I can be in the boonies for about 3 weeks without having to dump, get water or propane. Taking the bike into town to get groceries and do laundry

If it were only me on the road, I'd do what you're doing. A small class C with some way to carry a motorcycle. But my wife wants to be a part of this.

Heck, she's the one who wants to sell the house and go full time on this adventure. Perhaps in a few years...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #27
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565

- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #28
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,112
Quote:
... my wife wants to be a part of this.

Heck, she's the one who wants to sell the house and go full time on this adventure. Perhaps in a few years...
Definitely rent one for a week or two. Hell, rent a couple different styles (A, B, C, maybe a TT/Pickup combo?).

And watch RV.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #29
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Definitely rent one for a week or two. Hell, rent a couple different styles (A, B, C, maybe a TT/Pickup combo?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
And watch RV.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #30
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
After having our old TT for 11 years we just bought a new Keystone Challenger 32RKS 5th wheel. If you're in the market for a RV now is the time to buy. Our old TT was great for the six of us. It kept us dry and had enough beds to sleep everyone. My wife and I thought about getting a smaller TT since it would be just us taking vacations. After doing some shopping we found our 5th wheel at such an incredible price that we couldn't on the deal. We took a trip to Phoenix last month for Spring Training. Having that amount of room sure was nice.

I love my motorcycle, but I couldn't imagine riding in the traffic around Phoenix, those folks are nuts. Of course, I live in Colorado with the Rockies as my playground. Therefore having a Class A or C and a motorcycle wouldn't work for me if I had to stay anywhere there was traffic. I much prefer driving my truck when there are lots of crazies around.

I prefer 5th wheels and TTs over the Class A and C's for the reasons mentioned here previously. Especially if you're fully timing and the vehicle needs to be in the shop.

If you do look at toy hauler type 5th wheel make sure you've got enough truck. Many of those things are monsters when loaded. I'm talking in the 15k to 18k range. For that you'll need a 1 ton dually truck with a diesel at a minimum and many folks will say that's to small of a tow vehicle. If you need a larger truck many people are starting to buy used HDT's. These are the big class 7 & 8 semi's. At first I just shook my head, but then did a bunch of reading and it started to make sense. There's a bunch of information available and I won't bother to repeat it here.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: