User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,870
Coldfoot Lunch Run Anyone?

As the weather turns steadily milder, and our thoughts turn to get serious about riding once more, there is a requirement that road conditions on the Dalton Highway be given a personal, on site appraisal. To that end, it is suggested that a representative group of riders make the trek to Coldfoot for lunch some Saturday prior to mid-May, weather dependent.

Are there any volunteers for this arduous duty? Yers truly is hoping to do a SS1K from Glennallen to Coldfoot and back some time during the summer riding season. Whether that will be possible in conjunction with this reconnoiter will have to await the results of the road surface evaluation. But with a mere 75 miles or so of gravel to contend with in each direction, the run should just be a simple task for a few adventurous ADV Riders, especially those residing in the Fairbanks area.

Any takers? Sign up here...
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Yers truly is hoping to do a SS1K from Glennallen to Coldfoot and back some time during the summer riding season. Whether that will be possible in conjunction with this reconnoiter will have to await the results of the road surface evaluation. But with a mere 75 miles or so of gravel to contend with in each direction, the run should just be a simple task for a few adventurous ADV Riders, especially those residing in the Fairbanks area.

Any takers? Sign up here...
If you're nuts enough to include the Haul Road in a SS1k, you might as well go all the way to Prudhoe Bay, no?

What are you riding- not the KLR?!

Whatever happens...
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
If you're nuts enough to include the Haul Road in a SS1k, you might as well go all the way to Prudhoe Bay, no?
Too late, that's already been done - in September 2007 two of us did that one, and it's now officially recognized as the "Haul Road 1000" by the IBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
What are you riding- not the KLR?!
But of course! That's why I cornered the market on TKC80's in that size. Three and a half sets in the basement, waiting to be worn out.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
I'd go with you, but there is still a major "glacier" of meltwater in my driveway, and being steep, it sure doesn't help any!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
AKBMW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
That sounds like fun. And so tempting. I must have got your wheels turning with the Prudhoe to Homer run??

09 R1200 ADV :)

2013 Prudhoe to Key West T2T (tip2tail)
AKBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Hmmmmm.... very tempting. I'll have to check on the availability of some TKC80's for the GS (I don't dare make an attempt with the OEM Battlewings).

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff
I'd go with you, but there is still a major "glacier" of meltwater in my driveway, and being steep, it sure doesn't help any!
Excuses, excuses! In a couple of weeks the ice should be gone.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBMW
That sounds like fun. And so tempting. I must have got your wheels turning with the Prudhoe to Homer run??
The wheels never stop turning (in my imagination).

Now that the sun is staying up longer, it's time for some real motion.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks
Hmmmmm.... very tempting. I'll have to check on the availability of some TKC80's for the GS (I don't dare make an attempt with the OEM Battlewings).
Either Barb or Mike should have some... and a trip down from Fairbanks would make a good warmup ride.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,740
I can tender an unequivocal maybe. Timing is everything, except for the weather. My long standing motto (since leaving the infantry) is dishonor before discomfort. Keep me in mind and I will definitely go, perhaps.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
I may have found Alcan Riders hideout while on my ride today.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
interiorak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Got to within 20-30 miles of Yukon Crossing last weekend on r65 with street tires. I was following a couple of single tracks ... never did see'em. Started too late ... can't see thru trucker's high beams anymore. Turned around when it got alittle too exciting ... actually toughest part was getting back up my driveway in Fairbanks. Wife says i'm crazy ... and i agree with her. Sometime ya just gotta ride.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Signed up for the MSF ERC in Palmer on May 7th, and want to leave the Conti Trail Attacks on the KLR until then. After that, I'll put the TKC80's back on and be ready for the Haul Road. So if the weather looks okay for May 9th... ??

Jeff - get out and spread some salt on your driveway.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks
I may have found Alcan Riders hideout while on my ride today.

My house is part way down on the left - the one with the red light in the window.

Maggie
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

This past weekend's experience has led me to revise the proposed schedule for this little ride. Thankfully, Coldfoot is always open, so that isn't a factor.

But it might be better to wait one more week... until the days are a bit longer, the passes a bit warmer, and the caribou a lot fewer. So I'm setting May 16th as the new target date. Hopefully a few more of the Fairbanks riders will be out of their driveways, or have new tires, by then.

Tentative plan is to leave home 2:00AMish, stop for breakfast at Hilltop 7ish, hit Coldfoot around noon. If all has gone well to that point, an hour for lunch will be fine, then the return should see me back home by midnight or so. If anyone is foolish enough to accompany the KLR and its dimwitted rider on this thankless venture, we could meet at Hilltop.

A reminder: What happens on the Haul Road, gets left on the Haul Road.

Sign on the dotted line...
Haul Road Primer