Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
RAW OP
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Tire plugging advice

Hey, guys and gals.

I just got my first tire puncture. I've never had to deal with plugging a tire, so . . . I'm gonna need some help.

The puncture was caused by a piece of bailing wire or something. When I pulled it out, it left a very clean, small hole.

Should I just use some of that sealing goo? Or what?

I've got an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to have the tire replaced, but it'd be nice to ride down there for the appt.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,048
Flat Tire.

Hey RAW,
Don't use the tire sealing goop. It makes a mess. Just use a tire plug. Simple easy and safe.
Since you are getting the tire replaced there is no need to do anything else.

Ride Safe.
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
Hey, guys and gals.

I just got my first tire puncture. I've never had to deal with plugging a tire, so . . . I'm gonna need some help.

The puncture was caused by a piece of bailing wire or something. When I pulled it out, it left a very clean, small hole.

Should I just use some of that sealing goo? Or what?

I've got an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to have the tire replaced, but it'd be nice to ride down there for the appt.

Thanks
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
turkeyneck
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tyre plugging advice

I am not a tyre engineer, however I have ridden thousands of miles over the least 20 yeaers on plugged tyres & never had a problem. Tyre companies say it is a no no but I believe that is the lawyers talking. I like the Stop&Go kit because it seems to have a plug that is larger inside the tyre(like a mushroom) T.Neck
Old 06-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,167
Use the plug kit, plug/glue, that came with yur GS. If it is a small hole you will need to ream it out a lot, then ream it out again, then again and again....... If ya don't, you will just rip the plugs try'n to get them in.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Frogman
Plunk Yur Magic Twanger

Oddometer: 36
I have limped many miles on a plug but never had the balls to keep the tire. Perhaps your dealer can install a more permanent plug that is guaranteed. Perhaps you should try writing to Metzler or Michelin and ask them whether a correctly installed plug is a death warrant.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #6
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Link:

Tire plugging FAQ
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Tire Plug

Hello,
I have been a tire repair guy for years.
The best way to have a tire repaired is by having it pluged then taken appart and a patch installed on the inside. Then it will be guaranteed for life.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ride Safe.
Rick
Old 06-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Rad
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000
Hello,
I have been a tire repair guy for years.
The best way to have a tire repaired is by having it pluged then taken appart and a patch installed on the inside. Then it will be guaranteed for life.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ride Safe.
Rick

There is about a zero chance any shop will do that in the States for a motorcycle
Old 06-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
There is about a zero chance any shop will do that in the States for a motorcycle
Not true. Oddly, I had a BMW shop plug a tire from the inside. The tire had less than a 1,000 miles when I picked up a nail. Plugged it from the inside, and the tire eventually made it to 12,000 miles

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
And another one!

Thread on the UKGSER forum - clear detailed instruction of roadside puncture repair using the BMW repair kit!

Another UKGSER thread on using the Rema puncture repair kit with drawings.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
Rad
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzler
Not true. Oddly, I had a BMW shop plug a tire from the inside. The tire had less than a 1,000 miles when I picked up a nail. Plugged it from the inside, and the tire eventually made it to 12,000 miles

Wow! I've never heard of a bike shop patch'n tires, in the last few years.

Cool
Old 06-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #12
Davo
BMW Uber alles

Oddometer: 142
I agree with rad that you should follow the instructions to the letter. The bit about replacing the tyre is up to you.

"Hey RAW,
Don't use the tire sealing goop. It makes a mess. Just use a tire plug. Simple easy and safe.
Since you are getting the tire replaced there is no need to do anything else."

Hey Kildala,
Nothing personal mate, but by NOT using the glue this guy stands a very good chance of killing himself. Simple and easy but NOT safe. The road heat bonds the three compounds together, glue and the two in the plug.

On my RT my last rear tyre had 5 plugs (if you dont belive me speak to Garners motorcycles in Melbourne) as riding down the side of the freeway was by far and away faster but the road debree had you getting punctures every couple of weeks. Replacing the tyre was simply not an option. The plugs hold very well and out of 20+ BMW style plugs i have never had a problem. BTW Make sure you put the plug in long ways as it often tends to tear if you dont.
Some may think that 5 plugs is excessive but i have already experienced a sudden deflation at 85mph and on the RT it was no problem (big chunk of scrap metal). Your choice if you want to change the tyre and if your in doubt that you could handle a sudden deflation then get a new one.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Tire repair

Hey Davo,
No offence taken Mate. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
You HAVE to use tire glue. This will bond the rubber to each other and will make a water tight seal. But too make it safe I would sure put a patch on the inside as well.

Hope that makes things clear.

Thanks Davo for catching that mistake.

Ride Safe.
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo
I agree with rad that you should follow the instructions to the letter. The bit about replacing the tyre is up to you.

"Hey RAW,
Since you are getting the tire replaced there is no need to do anything else."

Hey Kildala,
Nothing personal mate, but by NOT using the glue this guy stands a very good chance of killing himself. Simple and easy but NOT safe. The road heat bonds the three compounds together, glue and the two in the plug.

On my RT my last rear tyre had 5 plugs (if you dont belive me speak to Garners motorcycles in Melbourne) as riding down the side of the freeway was by far and away faster but the road debree had you getting punctures every couple of weeks. Replacing the tyre was simply not an option. The plugs hold very well and out of 20+ BMW style plugs i have never had a problem. BTW Make sure you put the plug in long ways as it often tends to tear if you dont.
Some may think that 5 plugs is excessive but i have already experienced a sudden deflation at 85mph and on the RT it was no problem (big chunk of scrap metal). Your choice if you want to change the tyre and if your in doubt that you could handle a sudden deflation then get a new one.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
Davo
BMW Uber alles

Oddometer: 142
Talking kildala

Your a gentleman and a scholar
Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 PM   #15
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,253
Jam a manatee in there. They're good for plugging up all kinds of holes :):