Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #16
JuanG
GS Dork

Oddometer: 145
"Stop & Go" kit is a winner. Ridden thousands of miles on plugged tires and I don't go anywhere w/out the kit. quick & easy to use and is tried & true.

Do not go quietly unto your grave.

'01GS
'29Henderson
JuanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:21 PM   #17
kj106
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I am likely a random voice in the wind, but I rather like the German approach. Buy a new tire. Because of the high speeds in Germany, they require tires with no patches. If you plan to travel at 55 and below, go patch it. If you are more agressive, don't take a chance.
kj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #18
RAW OP
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.
I have been away from the house all day, but I plan on trying the BMW plug kit first thing tomorrow morning. I will still have the tire replaced at the dealership tomorrow afternoon, and I'll keep the repaired tire as an emergency spare.

Thanks again!

p.s. You'd think that the BMW manual would have some info about the tire-repair kit since it's in the tool bag. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:54 PM   #19
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
I'll keep the repaired tire as an emergency spare.
And to practice my tyre plugging on...
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #20
RAW OP
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
The tire-plugging went pretty well.
I ruined one plug, but the next one went in no problem. I hadn't reamed the hole out large enough. A couple dozen more thrust/withdraw moves with the tool did the trick.

Rode down to Norcross and had the dealership hook me up with a new tire.

There were some very basic instructions for the tire plugging kit after all (folded up in the bottom of that little green box).
Old 07-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #21
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Funny thing, my wife comes home last night, parks her 600 Fazer next to my GS on the sidewalk and rides over a piece of glass. So I finally had an opportunity to use my Rema puncture set.

All went well straight away (except that I tested how much pressure a CO cartridge will put into a tyre, which was a disappointing 0.65 bar per cartridge, so we resorted to our handpump), so now we know how to do it.

She rode the bike to the mechanic (twenty km) and checked the pressure, which was the same, so the plug didn't leak. The tyre was removed and she got a new Metzeler Z6 tyre (200 euro).

I made digital photo's (25) of the whole process. Too bad my wife didn't take the camera with her to take a picture of the inside of the tyre (maybe I'll ring my mechanic and ask him if he still has the old tyre).

Anyway, just wanted to share my success.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote