ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
tedder OP
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
quick Columbia River Gorge ride report

This was with Kermit, another ADV scum.

Motorcycle: Columbia River Gorge Ride 4/19/2009

478 miles, 12.2 hours.

Ken and I went for a quick ride Sunday. The goal was to go out to Bickleton, but we couldn't resist adding in some other Interesting roads. We ended up on a handful of beautiful gravel roads, which was a blast.

View Larger Map

The first part of the day was dedicated to riding the Washington side of the river. We went out Highway 14, then turned onto the super-twisty SR141 to BZ Corner. This was Ken's favorite stretch- he pulled away from me quickly, and raved about how great it was later. The stretch from BZ Corner to Glenwood was curvier than I remembered- and climbed 1400 feet fairly quickly.

Mt. Adams

Ken and Mt. Adams

The next stretch included a couple more canyon runs, which are always fun. The light traffic made it very easy to have fun.

Ken's self-portrait

Ted, action shot

Ted

Two bikes with Mt. Adams in the background

Ken and Mt. Adams

Next, we stopped in Bickleton to eat at the Bluebird Inn, which is about the only place with movement in the tiny settlement. The food was tasty.

Ted, chatting with another rider at the Bluebird Inn in Bickleton

The next plan was to run from Bickleton, through Dot, to Hwy14. The road turned out to be paved about halfway, running past a ton of wind turbines. It then turned into gravel and dropped down to the river. The gravel was nice, but the road was curvy and Ken wasn't used to the gravel.

Two bikes and a wind turbine

Ted with the wind turbines

Ted with the wind turbines

DL650 and the wind turbines

Ken on gravel

Panorama of a barn and wind turbines

Once we reached the Columbia, we crossed into Oregon at Biggs, then took some gravel along the river and climbed away from the river. We then linked some great paved roads with some decent gravel roads- great twisty fun!

Ken at the Columbia River

Riding across the Sam Hill Memorial Bridge

Ken on gravel

Panorama of the Columbia River at the Oregon Trunk Rail Bridge (Celilo Bridge)

Ted with the bikes, above the Columbia River

Ken's bike with the Fairbanks Schoolhouse

Ted with the Fairbanks Schoolhouse

Cool barn

Mt. Hood

Mt. Hood

Our next diversion was to take OR-216 across the Deschutes River. I've always seen the twisties on the east side of the river and wanted to run it. The curves were fun, though the narrow road and steep drops meant I was a little nervous about having too much fun. We then turned around, ran it in the other direction, then ran down to Maupin.

Ken on gravel

Ken on gravel

Deschutes River in the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. Fishing platforms are visible.

The final goal of the day was to take NF-48 from Tygh Valley to Highway 26. Unfortunately, we ran into snow and didn't make it all the way. We tried hunting around to get between NF48 and Highway 216, but we ran into snow there too. Oh well! So we turned around, rode out to The Dalles, had dinner, then rode home.

Ken at snow on NP48. FYYFF!

Ken at a snow/tree crossing.

The only curse of riding with two identical bikes is that we were getting very low on gas before we got to Troutdale. We were both concerned for the last 5-10 miles.

tedder screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 09:04 AM
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Thumb Awesome

Wow, I love old buildings. We have got to do that route. Thanks for all the info.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
nwforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Great pics and ride report, I was up on my Uly chasing/riding with?? a group of Buell riders through a lot of curves down through Klickatat thinking the whole way that I wanted to be off exploring rather than trying to make sure the next corner was clear. I am jealous! More dirt less carving corners.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Nice loop..... thanks
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Next, we stopped in Bickleton to eat at the Bluebird Inn, which is about the only place with movement in the tiny settlement. The food was tasty.
I've always wondered about that place, I always eat across the road at the general store. It's the usual lunchtime stop on the way to CtS (the pass rocks!). Maybe I should broaden my horizons next time

Nice pics, thanks for posting them! Say hi to Ken for me.

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-21-2009 at 09:25 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
DreadPirateKermit
Ribit.

Oddometer: 371
Thumb

Hi Tony!

The first time I ever did Bickleton Road was on the way back from the Gather - '03? - and we caught up with you, Gustavo & Brian (?) in Goldendale (where you had stopped and ate lunch). That trip wasn't much fun, as the GL500 had an almost BALD rear tire! Since then I've done it on V-Stroms, a Goldwing and the Tuono.

The only place I've eaten in Bickleton is the Bluebird. The food is decent (not sure they do veggie though!) but you want to get there before or after the crowd on a nice day.

I though I was doing OK on the gravel, except for the corners. I still don't have the confidence to go into a gravel corner with much speed. Of course Ted then passed me (I was doing ~55, he was doing 70!) showing me that I'm still a gravel slacker. Bastard threw rocks at my new bike. Good thing I'd already pre-scratched it!

We had a fantastic day with fabulous weather. Thanks Ted for picking out such a nice route!

'04 Suzuki DL1000 Blue
IBA #257 IBR '03, '07 Ten 'n Ten, '10
"Excluding diamonds and Vicodin, there’s nothing more precious than children." Ella Morton, The Elegant Guide to Children
DreadPirateKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
tedder OP
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateKermit
I though I was doing OK on the gravel, except for the corners. I still don't have the confidence to go into a gravel corner with much speed. Of course Ted then passed me (I was doing ~55, he was doing 70!) showing me that I'm still a gravel slacker. Bastard threw rocks at my new bike. Good thing I'd already pre-scratched it!
70 is a little .. conservative. But we'll go with that
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Did this work?

View Larger Map
mrazekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
tedder OP
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan
Did this work?
Yep- what did you do? Just replace the a href with a URL?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
oldbeatupguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Great report Tedder. I was up in the same area Saturday and Sunday. Stayed at The fishing shack in Trout Lake and rode arround Glenwood, up through the Klickitat canyon and back to The shack. Great day for a ride! I haven't been to Bickelton for years. I used to spend summers as a kid up there at the grandparents farm, good times, riding my uncle's honda 50, drinking beer in the barn and shootin gray diggers

Where's that one room school house located, I have a special photo assignment to get some pictures of those.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
I rode those loops last summer and the loop up by the wind farm was a cool find.

Thanks for a great post of a ride with no rain in the PacificNWet!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
tedder OP
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeatupguy
Where's that one room school house located, I have a special photo assignment to get some pictures of those.
'twas at Fairbanks, Oregon.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeatupguy
There are a bunch of cool old schoolhouses out there, tho that one is in better repair than most. Get a county map, like a Pittman. It should show the townships reserved for schoolhouses-most of them are still there though they may be used for storing hay now.

This one is not far from Fairbanks, towards Endersby

RedMenace screwed with this post 04-23-2009 at 06:52 AM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #15
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Looks like a great day of riding. Thanks for sharing.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote