User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

Oddometer: 227
Vietnam Deja Vu' - Homeskillet Returns

Last year I made a five day ride around North Vietnam. I could never get the memory of the beautiful countryside and lovely people out of my mind. So I returned this month to the exact same places I had visited last year. And I had twice the fun, renewing friendships and riding different roads to the same places.

IBA#21709
BMW RA #29106
2007 1200GS ADV (Bedazzlement made affordable)
1971 Kawasaki 500 Mach III (under restoration)
Homeskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
kurvenwetzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
are there some more pics available?
im really nosy!

greets from austria!
kurvenwetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

For $150 a day, Offroad Vietnam in Hanoi, set me up with a Honda Baja 250cc, a guide, meals, hotel, and gas. The fun was free. I can't wait to go back next year.

The itinerary was the same as last year, but we were utilizing different roads and changing the order of the visits to SonTay, Phuc Yen, and Vu Linh.
below: Old Quarter Hanoi

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

We left Hanoi at 09:00 Friday morning, April 3rd. A couple of riders from Australia had planned to join the ride, but business obligations forced them to cancel, so it was myself and my trusty, young Vietnamese guide, Quinh. After a few hours observing my guide's excellent translation skills and prowess in the saddle, I aptly nicknamed him "Mighty Quinn", from the Bob Dylan song that Manfred Mann made a hit in 1968. "come all without, come all within, you'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn."

Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
Two
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

The first stop would be SonTay, a peaceful town about thirty miles northwest of Hanoi. During the war, a small POW camp was located in SonTay, and the U.S. launched a daring nighttime rescue mission to free the POWs. The plan was executed flawlessly, but the prisoners had been moved a couple weeks prior to the raid. Last year we rode into SonTay, and since it was lunchtime, stopped at a restaurant to ask directions to the site and have some lunch. It was our lucky day. The owner of the restaurant showed us the photo of his dad, a gaurd at the prison, and told us to leave our bikes and gear with him and walk to the location, 300 meters behind the restaurant.

below Mighty Quinn and the restaurant owner who I met last year, looking over a copy of last year's Adventure Riders Viva Vietnam Ride Report.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

(Note remains of POW camp front gate in background)

As we inspected the remains of the old POW camp last year, we had the priviledge of meeting a very nice family who lived right across the street. They had invited us into their home for tea, and we learned that the grandmother, (pictured above) was employed by the prison to buy groceries for the kitchen. But the authorities warned her not to mention the nature of her purchases. In fact, do not speak a word about the secret POW camp right in front of your house. We ended up spending the whole afternoon drinking tea and visiting with her and her family last year. I wanted to see them again, so we parked the bikes at the restaurant and hiked back down the road to the site. To my amazement, they were waiting in their yard for us. How did they know we were coming? Had someone called ahead? But then I realized that we had left all the foreigners and tourists back in Hanoi and they probably spotted us walking down the road with our gear and recognized me. Regardless, we invited the grandmother and mother to join us for lunch back at the restaurant and a glorious reunion transpired. It was awesome, even better than I had dreamed. These people are so friendly and loving. Plans were made for a big party next year on my return, complete with barbecue and band.
IBA#21709
BMW RA #29106
2007 1200GS ADV (Bedazzlement made affordable)
1971 Kawasaki 500 Mach III (under restoration)
Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

We left SonTay and continued northwest to Phuc Yen (pronounced Foo yen), where we had reservations at the only hotel in these parts.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317

Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

The next morning we leave Phuc Yen, headed for the remote village of Vu Linh, where we will spend the night in a traditional Thai stilt house with an untraditional Dau (pronounced Zow) mountain Indian family in a 'homestay' arranged by the tour company. There are no hotels in this remote region.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #13
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

We stop for coffee in Yen Bai, and just as everywhere we go, are treated like celebrities.

And the little cup of coffee packs a powerful punch!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

Later that afternoon, we stop on a bridge for a break, a smoke, and a laugh with a few of the locals.

It was on this bridge that I met my new girlfriend. (below) She was a little shy at first, but this was just another female ploy to make me think her virtues were still intact.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #15
Homeskillet OP
Exit Flagger

Enough of this foolish romance nonsense, we've got to find that house on stilts and the stash of rice moonshine that Boi (Bo), the proprietor, readily dispenses as soon as we kill the motorcycles.