Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #61
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boj
uh oh... I can see where this is going..... I had the same issue on 2 of my 3 rides. Done the flapendectomy yet? Mine came at the 100 mile mark on the WRT somewhere near Hardscrabble. Freaked me out a bit. It then went off and on 2 more times before I got to the Shell station. Then only took 4.4 gallons

Did the flapendectomy when I got home... still not sure it worked as I almost ran out again last ride at 135 mile Just got done verifying all my vents are clear, we'll see next trip.
No flappendectomy, canisterectomy or any other surgery has been performed that I know of. I'll get around to it soon. Doesn't your non-EFI model carry more gas anyway? I think your tank carries 5.5 gallons where mine only holds 5.0 gallons. The construction detour and my insistence to run the trail counter-clockwise had me covering more miles....
Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #62
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Patience Viola-tor.

I'm a little concerned about your plans to run the WRT this summer. It's gonna be HOT! But if you want the company, and I can get out of work, I'd be glad to tag along!
yeah, I've been thinking about that... problem is, that's when I'm gonna be there! But that's one of the great things about motorcycle travel: you can always alter the plan! We'll see. I may choose to spend more time at higher elevations (colorado) to stay cool, but I just can't stay away from S. Utah.

It's great to see you did it with flying colors on the big orange, I can't freakin' wait until it's my turn! I'm starting to "train" for more off-road riding to be prepared for summer, oh yeah...

Ride on brother, and keep those reports and pictures coming!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #63
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

This Ride Will End With My Bike Down!

Hardscrabble and the Hogback are not the only sections of the WRT to worry about...

I try my best to conserve fuel. I'm really worried about making it off this trail tonight. I am trying not to use first gear as much. Consequently, I'm riding rough sections much faster than I had been earlier. I'm taking risks in order to save fuel. On the downhill sections I would pull the clutch in and coast.

I finally make it to Musselman's Arch. I know I have 4 more miles just to make it the Potash Road turnoff.

I drink the last of my water here. I'm screwed if I don't get out of here tonight. I really should've brought more water, but didn't want to wear a pack. It's in the upper 70's and I'm wearing a waterproof suit! Sure it has plenty of vents, but I'm learning they don't work well while bumping along so slowly.

I finally make it Potash Road. Even though it has some rough spots, the road that seemed so rough this morning seems like a superhighway compared to the WRT.

Potash Ponds

I did it! I made it off the rough stuff and on the paved section of Potash Road. I keep doing the math in my head and now am convinced there is no way I'm gonna make it back to the gas station in Moab.

Jughandle Arch

Mile Marker 12, 6.5 miles from the gas station, I run out of gas. I knew it was going to happen. I told myself to remain positive. I'm happy I had made it back to civilization. I could walk to town for gas it I had to. I'm exhausted from the ride, and really don't feel like hiking.

I've been going 181 miles since the campsite.

165.4 miles on this tank of fuel.

41.0 miles since the fuel light came on.

I see a few cars heading towards town. I stand at the edge of the road and stick out a thumb. I don't think I've had to hitchhike since Jungle Expert School in Panama, 1989. The first 4 or 5 vehicles ignore me.

No traffic passes for several minutes, so I start thinking... I've read here before that if you lay the bike on the side it will allow the remaining fuel from one side tank drain over to the side with the fuel pickup. I'm not even sure which side is the correct one. I decide to give it a try. I stack my gear in a pile by the road and gently lay the heavy beast over....

As soon as I do another group of vehicles pass. The first vehicle, an old Subaru wagon, slams on the brakes and backs up. I now realized it must look like I just crashed. That's a way to get passerbys to stop. I suddenly feel guilty. I didn't want it to appear I was tricking cars to stop. I quickly throw the bike back upright as my new friends stop to check on me.

Dave and Takaya (I probably got that name wrong) load me into their car and drive me the 6.5 miles to the Maverick Gas Station. I blow $11 on a gas can with $2 of fuel. They agree to drive me all the way back to the bike and wait until I get it fueled up and started. They refuse my offer to give them money for their assistance. Dave tells me he'll let me buy him a beer if I stop by Eddie McStiffs. I only have one question after surviving on cereal bars, water, and candy bars all day. Does this place serve food? Takaya assures me they have good pizza and other stuff. I'm in!

The route I took was 171.9 miles from gas station to gas station. Actually it's probably a little further since I changed the wheel size in the bike computer to correct the speedo. (Maybe closer to 180)

This is much further than I had anticipated. If the construction detour was not present I could have done this ride in about 2 hours less time with no fuel worries. I was my fault for not running back into town and topping up after I found the detour. Most RRs of the WRT report total mileage to be 130-140 miles.

I inhaled what was quite possibly the best brick-oven baked pizza ever! Of course, in my exhausted and starving state I may be a little biased.

Dave and Takaya are locals now after moving here from back east to live the adventure lifestyle. They are self-professed cycling, mountain biking, backpacking, and hiking junkies. She is a school teacher and he is a... uh.. full-time adventurer. I'm a little jealous.

Whenever you visit Moab I highly recommend stopping by Eddie McStiffs. If you spot Dave and Takaya sitting at the bar buy them a round for me. They're not motorcyclists but they kept me from walking all night!

I make it back to camp. 198 miles for the day.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-25-2009 at 04:41 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #64
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oops! I just reread the post in fellow inmates Sp4ce's thread about the trick to lay the bike down. He got another 10 miles after laying the bike down several times on the LEFT side! I would have figured it out...

...eventually.

(http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37#post8322837)
Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #65
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Hey Dave,

I read a tip over in trip planning about packing a "bladder" pouch with you, I got one from Starbucks (the big cardboard jug thing to take to work for the big meeting, I can't for the life of me remember what it's called), they gave it to me for free when I asked. Could also recycle the bladder from box-wine. This could be used for water, fuel (in an emergency), and can be inflated for a pillow! It'll pack down to almost nothing, I think I'm gonna start carrying two, one for water, one for fuel. I've never needed to use it so far, but it might just save the day down the road. One could fill the bladder at the gas station, ride a few miles, and then dump it the tank to prevent a rolling Molitov Cocktail.

Also, in regards to water: Are there water sources along the WRT that could be filtered? Most of the water looks pretty brown, but a water-filter or steri-pen might let you (or me) still travel light and juice up when a stream is available. Just curious...
Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #66
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Viola-ted,

I wouldn't use the bladders for fuel in hot weather. Check out the best RR ever, Angola, It's not like they said. He used wine bladders for fuel and found the foil rips when the fuel expands. Luckily the plastic held and he didn't lose fuel.

Don't plan on there being water available. Most of the time the rivers are not accessable and they are pretty muddy. I found the one puddle due to last weeks rain that could have been used for drinking.

Most fears of drinking untreated water are unfounded and are exaggerated by land managers who feel compelled to warn of the risk. Yes there are slim chances you will get ill from drinking untreated water, but you are much more liklely to DIE without the water. I didn't have anything to filter or treat the water, but would drink it anyway if really needed.

Fuel should not be a problem on this trail and I would avoid carrying the extra weight. If I had just gone back to town to top off the tank I would have been okay on fuel even with the extra distance I covered by taking Potash Road twice.

This is what my route looked like. The yellow highlighted road what I planned to ride, but was closed.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-25-2009 at 06:20 PM
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #67
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

If worried about fuel range, I thought of another idea for this trail. Take along a fuel can. At the end of Potash Road in Shaffer Canyon top off your tank and cache the remainder nearby. Now you don't need to carry the can on the entire trail and can top up again before riding the 35-40 miles back to town. This would be especially useful for bikes with a smaller range and in case you needed to backtrack because of road conditions etc.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #68
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 291
Wrt

Dave--
Very nice photo's and its good to see and hear the details of traveling the trail alone. I am shipping by 990 Adv to Vegas during the 1st week of June. traveling solo, I plan on hitting Tuweep, and most of southern Utah and then into Colorado (Telluride) and parts east.

Excellent Report. Are you ready for another visit?
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #69
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo
Dave--
Very nice photo's and its good to see and hear the details of traveling the trail alone. I am shipping by 990 Adv to Vegas during the 1st week of June. traveling solo, I plan on hitting Tuweep, and most of southern Utah and then into Colorado (Telluride) and parts east.

Excellent Report. Are you ready for another visit?
nunzo, Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I hope you plan to share some with the rest of us. Tuweep huh? I've always looked at that on the map, and wondered....

Stay tuned. I plan to share a few thoughts on running the WRT solo on a big bike.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #70
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 4, Moab to Phoenix

I'm sure I never slept better in a tent than I did last night. I wake up and snap a few shots of the morning light on the rocks surrounding my campsite.

I just have a long boring ride home...

I snap a few scenery and landmark shots on the way home. Enjoy!

Wilson Arch

A garbage can makes a good tripod. I was surpised to see some nice new vacation homes behind this arch. The sun was in the wrong position for this shot, but I wasn't waiting around another 9 hours.

Approaching Valley of the Gods

The Bridge and Sharp Corner in Mexican Water

Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #71
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski
Well, as long as we're doing a little hijacking, that's not Rose Garden Hill.
This is-

It looks like you're somewhere along Onion Creek in that shot.

Very nice RR, Dave. Props for pushing the envelope a little out there, and great pics!
Yep, posted the wrong pic. I thought that one was of us at the bottom of Rose Garden Hill looking away from the hill.

Here's a better one.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #72
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 291
Dave-I'll be ready for Tuweep on or around June 11th.. Anybody want to tag along??
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #73
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Motojedi, Holy Crap! There's no way I'd try that hill on my big bike. Not yet anyway .

Nunzo, Sorry I can't ride that week. I'll be in that period of my life between adventures when I must work.... I look forward to some of your photos of that area though.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 10:54 AM
Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #74
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 4, Moab to Phoenix

Monument Valley

I pass back by the coal silo and conveyor belt.

and the Elephant's Feet

The Moonscape of the Rez

Up the hill towards Flagstaff

I turn off the highway towards Sunset Crater. Smell those Ponderosa Pines?

At Bonito Park I get a shot of Sunset Crater...

...and the San Francisco Peaks. This meadow should turn green soon with tons of wildflowers.

I shoot down I-17, It's getting warmer.

Back into the Sonoran Desert.

By time I pull into the garage the temp gauge is reading 104!

Today's Stats

Thanks for riding along.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 12:36 PM
Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #75
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Bravo! Another great one!