Originally Posted by The Griz
expensive Craftsman

bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
My experience....

After performing the fix described in this thread, I can now report my findings. These findings conclude (after much testing and isolation of culprits) that there are other things involved in addition to the spring guides that create noise on the front end of this bike. These noisemakers include: the floating brake rotors, the floating calipers, loose steering head bearings, and of course the spring guides within the shocks themselves hitting the fork tube cap lock nut. I have found that the sole culprit may not the spring guides alone. I have also found that on some people's bikes that they are the sole culprit. Each bike is different. Which of the culprits are the actual noisemakers differs from bike to bike. As an example: I have finally silenced my front end. For me, in the beginning, there were three things I thought were making noise on the front end of my bike:

1) Loose steering head bearings

2) Movement of internal spring guides

3) Very loose floating rotors

With each of these things being addressed, my bike became more and more quiet (with the exception of #2). Like I said, initially my bike was way loud with noises in the front when I drove it home from the dealer. I tightened the steering head bearings. It got quieter and tighter. Next, I installed some rubber bushings as described in this thread. I didn't really hear a change. Still "clack clack clack". And now, I zip-tied the floating rotors to prevent play within them. Low and behold.... Silence. On my bike, the floating rotors were the noisiest part. When I opened up the forks and tried to move the spring guides on the damper rods, they didn't move. It's like they were stuck in the down position. It took quite a bit of force to break them loose from the down position to see and hear the movement as described in this thread. This is probably why they weren't causing me noise issues in the first place.

This is just my experience. Again, my theory is that each bike is different. And on each bike there are different causes. I'm keeping the rubber bushings in just for the hell of it, to rule out that culprit. But for me, it was the floating rotors that were the noisiest culprit. Next noisiest was the steering head bearings being loose. And it turns out that for me, the spring guides weren't making noise in the first place. But now that I've broke them loose, I'm sure they would without the rubber bushings! Also, I've ordered Lucas non-floating rotors from Wunderlich. In the meantime, I'll keep the zip-ties on the stock rotors!! Mmmmm....smooth silence.

Pictures of zip-tied rotor:

The Griz screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 09:05 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
You are some piece of work, man.

Quote:
After performing the fix described in this thread, I can now report my findings. These findings conclude (after much testing and isolation of culprits) that there are other things involved in addition to the spring guides that create noise on the front end of this bike. These noisemakers include: the floating brake rotors, the floating calipers, loose steering head bearings, and of course the spring guides within the shocks themselves hitting the fork tube cap lock nut. I have found that the sole culprit may not the spring guides alone. I have also found that on some people's bikes that they are the sole culprit. Each bike is different. Which of the culprits are the actual noisemakers differs from bike to bike. As an example: I have finally silenced my front end. For me, in the beginning, there were three things I thought were making noise on the front end of my bike:

With each of these things being addressed, my bike became more and more quiet (with the exception of #2). Like I said, initially my bike was way loud with noises in the front when I drove it home from the dealer. I tightened the steering head bearings. It got quieter and tighter. Next, I installed some rubber bushings as described in this thread. I didn't really hear a change. Still "clack clack clack". And now, I zip-tied the floating rotors to prevent play within them. Low and behold.... Silence. On my bike, the floating rotors were the noisiest part. When I opened up the forks and tried to move the spring guides on the damper rods, they didn't move. It's like they were stuck in the down position. It took quite a bit of force to break them loose from the down position to see and hear the movement as described in this thread. This is probably why they weren't causing me noise issues in the first place.

This is just my experience. Again, my theory is that each bike is different. And on each bike there are different causes. I'm keeping the rubber bushings in just for the hell of it, to rule out that culprit. But for me, it was the floating rotors that were the noisiest culprit. Next noisiest was the steering head bearings being loose. And it turns out that for me, the spring guides weren't making noise in the first place. But now that I've broke them loose, I'm sure they would without the rubber bushings! Also, I've ordered Lucas non-floating rotors from Wunderlich. In the meantime, I'll keep the zip-ties on the stock rotors!! Mmmmm....smooth silence.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
The Griz
North Forest Rider

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to contradict the OP's findings in this matter. I'm just reporting my experiences with the matter, as was he. On some people's bikes the spring guides might be a clack-maker. I'm not denying that. I'm just stating that on mine they weren't.

Very poor form on your part, Lion BR.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 09:07 PM
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Very poor form on your part, Lion BR.
Oh, Lordy.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #21
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
To my pleasant surprise, she landed nice and level, and very cushy.

I swear I was 10 feet in the air if I was an inch.

ok, maybe not. probably 4 or 5 though, and it really handled it well,
with my 185 lbs. + gear and about 20 lbs. of camping gear on the back.
I have to ask, was that 4 or 5 inches or feet? And you did mean up, not forward? Or did you land on a "ramp" on the backside of a whoop helping to smooth out the landing?

Jus curious if I read that right. Catching maybe a couple of feet of air will bottom my suspension hard.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I have to ask, was that 4 or 5 inches or feet? And you did mean up, not forward? Or did you land on a "ramp" on the backside of a whoop helping to smooth out the landing?

Jus curious if I read that right. Catching maybe a couple of feet of air will bottom my suspension hard.

Well, I was alone. If someone was watching it may have been something like

"d00d, did you see that? I caught like 5 feet of air"

"umm, you might have cleared a shoe box, barely"

I know I had enough time to wonder if it would bottom out.
I landed on level ground. Like I said I'm 185 and had a bag
with my tent, bag, pad, rain gear. Probably less than the 20# I stated earlier. My 2 liter Camelbak about 1/2 full.
I think I had a granola bar in my right front pocket

My preload is set almost all the way counter-clockwise (per the manual), damping the same (manual's setting for 185 # rider)

I'm curious how much you weigh and your shock settings if you bottom out so easily.
I'm going to google and see if there's any vid of jumping 800s

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,902
I found this
It didn't say whether it bottomed out.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #24
tvaranda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
And now, I zip-tied the floating rotors to prevent play within them. Low and behold.... Silence. On my bike, the floating rotors were the noisiest part.

I can't see the pictures. Could you look into that, please?
tvaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #25
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaranda
I can't see the pictures. Could you look into that, please?
Looked into it. I posted those pictures so long ago that they don't exist at where they were being linked from anymore. Sorry. If I have time, I'll zip-tie 'em and take some more pics.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
tvaranda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Looked into it. I posted those pictures so long ago that they don't exist at where they were being linked from anymore. Sorry. If I have time, I'll zip-tie 'em and take some more pics.
No problem. I just wanted to do the same to mine to figure out if this solves my f800GS clanking, but I don't know how to, and don't want to mess around...
By your answer, I presume that you somehow permanently solved this issue with the rotors (you don't have zip-ties any more) . If that's correct, how did you manage that?
Thank you in advance
tvaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #27
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,635
What is this noise you speak of? I don't hear shit from the engine noise and wind in my face...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaranda
No problem. I just wanted to do the same to mine to figure out if this solves my f800GS clanking, but I don't know how to, and don't want to mess around...
By your answer, I presume that you somehow permanently solved this issue with the rotors (you don't have zip-ties any more) . If that's correct, how did you manage that?
Thank you in advance
Nope I didn't permanently solve the issue. The only way to solve it is to buy some non-floating after market rotors. Now that I know what is causing it, it doesn't bother me. Floating rotors are floating rotors. They're going to make some noise. It just so happens that these rotors are much more of a "loose" floating design, so they're a bit louder than other floating rotors.

If you own an F800GS and you don't hear this noise, then you're experiencing one of two things:

1) you're old and you have extensive loss of hearing

or

2) you don't care what noises your bike makes and/or you're not paying attention.

Every F8 I've ridden (4 different ones including mine) has made this noise.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #29
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
The demo bike I tried before buying my F8 made this "clack" noise when going over bumps and such in the road, talked to the dealer about it but they didn´t have a clue.

My own bike have yet to make any abnormal noices at all though.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 361
Quote:

Griz,

Could you repost the Zip Tie of the rotors pics? they are not working.
2013 Husqvarna Nuda
If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote