Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
smeghead OP
b00b

Oddometer: 131
Bluhduh F800GS service DVD no longer available?!

Hey all,

In early March, I ordered a service manual DVD for my F800GS from Crossroads BMW of Lynchburg - a bit more than six weeks ago. I did a bit of forum surfing here and there and found they had an OK price on the DVD. I would have much preferred a hardcopy, but whatever - I just need the info.

Anyway, I contacted them after a week or so when it didn't arrive and I didn't get a tracking number. They told me that it was on backorder from Germany and would be a few extra days. A few emails and several weeks transpire and still it was on backorder. They said if it wasn't in by April 15 they would just cancel the order and refund my money.

Well I wasn't interested in canceling the order - I just wanted the info, so I waited an extra week past the 15th before I checked back to see. I contacted their E-commerce guy yesterday and today I got an email from him stating that BMW is no longer selling the service DVD. It will only sell it to shops. So he canceled my order and gave me a refund:

Quote:
I just checked with BMW and it seems they are no longer selling the DVD repair manuals. I'm crediting you back right now. I'm really sorry about this, it makes no sense. I guess they want you at the dealer instead of doing the work yourself.

Thanks,
Xxx

--
Xxx Xxxxxx
Parts Manager and E-commerce Director
RE; no sense, I couldn't agree more. I had heard about some folks having issues with their dealer like this a while ago, prior to buying my GS, but it appeared that several folks has since bought the DVD online or through their dealers. So I figured it was a one-off kind of problem. Many posts referred Crossroads specifically for the manual, so apparently they were able to sell it at one point...

I guarantee you I would have looked at other offerings if I thought I couldn't get a service manual for the bike. Did I buy a motorcycle or sign up for a service indenture?

Is there another online dealer that will sell them (presuming they can get them)? If not, what does it take to qualify as a 'shop'? How do they buy their own copy? Can I just call up and say I am Billy Bob from SlapDick BMW Moto Repair and I need a replacement service manual?

I refuse to go to the dealer for $250 oil changes, nor do I want anybody tweaking on MY motorcycle but me. I could just do the common sense maintenance items and leave it at that (oil, brakes, forks, bearings, tires, etc) but I would prefer more in-depth information. More importantly I am looking for a schematic with a pinout for the computer so I can tap the speedo signal for a pro-oiler install.

How about this, since clearly BMW thinks there is no market for this information surely they wouldn't mind if we *share* the few copies they were gracious enough to sell, right? Anyobody willing to loan a copy or share a link?

Alternately, if there is an outlet for the DVD somewhere - I will certainly pay the $ for a legitimate copy (I will just grumble about it being electronic only).

Thanks in advance.

-smeg

p.s. please skip the "you don't know what you are doing" or "you'll void your warranty" or "it is too complicated" business - I am not a Saturday-morning-hang-around-at-the-dealer-donut-eater type of owner.

Again, TIA.
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
we'll if you guys get nowhere try to buy a legit copy because bmw refuses to sell then screw em.
download this:
http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm
it's a full funtioning dvd copying (use the dvd-5 setting) program for 30 days.
i haven't found a dvd yet that it would not copy.
find one copy of the disc and rip enough for the adv board.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,118
Isn't it illegal to require all service be done there? Refusal to sell factory service manuals could be considered this and open them up to a lawsuit and mondo bad press.

I have, however, heard, that they're not shipping the current copies because it's being revised. I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but it's what I've heard.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
I ordered and received mine in March from my dealer.

BMW changed the P/N around that time because they switched from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.

There is a thread on F800riders.org about it here:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...&highlight=DVD

From my post on the 3rd page:
"BMW part number: 01 59 7 720 812

It is dated 02/2009.

The parts guy did have to get some info from Germany, but they were in fact able to get it!"
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
I ordered the service DVD for my R1200GSAdv before I got the bike, it was back ordered, canceled the order 5 months later, still back ordered. Thats BMW for ya, you get your parts when they are ready to grant you the privilege of having them. BMW is part owners of Touratech, their favorite word is 'backordered'.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
Question

I don't know of anybody that has actually been able to GET a copy of the 3rd edition....

If there are any success stories please let the rest of us know.....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
smeghead OP
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
I ordered and received mine in March from my dealer.

BMW changed the P/N around that time because they switched from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.

There is a thread on F800riders.org about it here:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...&highlight=DVD

From my post on the 3rd page:
"BMW part number: 01 59 7 720 812

It is dated 02/2009.

The parts guy did have to get some info from Germany, but they were in fact able to get it!"
That is great news. Who did you buy it from and what did it set you back? Also, what are the differences between * 808 and * 812? There was some speculation on the thread about information, UI changes, copyright protection, etc - so what is the difference between 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks for the info!

-smeg
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
That is great news. Who did you buy it from and what did it set you back? Also, what are the differences between * 808 and * 812? There was some speculation on the thread about information, UI changes, copyright protection, etc - so what is the difference between 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks for the info!

-smeg
I haven't been able to find anything that explicitly states what is different, but the recall campaigns are definitely in there e.g. I can pull up the procedure for changing the rad hose. As in the F800Riders thread, the rest is speculation, but makes sense.

I bought my DVD from my dealership, Moto Internationale in Montreal. I printed the thread from F800Riders, and gave the parts guy the 808 number. He was able to confirm that he could not get the 808 version, but he offered to send a fax to Germany to get the superseded part number, and came up with what I posted above for the 3rd edition. It was something like $160 CDN, but I can't remember exactly how much. At any rate they gave me a rebate card that accumulates 10% back I ripped it to my HD and put the original in my fire proof box Worth its weight in gold
Old 04-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,181
Just remember, people, don't post offers of copyright infringement here. Bad things will happen.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
smeghead OP
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
I bought my DVD from my dealership, Moto Internationale in Montreal. I printed the thread from F800Riders, and gave the parts guy the 808 number. He was able to confirm that he could not get the 808 version, but he offered to send a fax to Germany to get the superseded part number, and came up with what I posted above for the 3rd edition. It was something like $160 CDN, but I can't remember exactly how much. At any rate they gave me a rebate card that accumulates 10% back I ripped it to my HD and put the original in my fire proof box Worth its weight in gold
Well, I got the same response from Crossroads - they won't sell even the 3rd edition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
It appears as they are also not available. The word our rep had given us is that BMW no longer plans on supporting any of the manuals since all of the service to dealers is on line now. We'll just have to see how it plays out.
Want to sell your fireproof boxed set? How much does the dvd weigh and what is the going price of gold?

UPDATE: I just contacted Moto Internationale in Montreal via email asking if they would sell/ship to the US. Thx again.

smeghead screwed with this post 04-24-2009 at 09:59 AM
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
Well, I got the same response from Crossroads - they won't sell even the 3rd edition:

Want to sell your fireproof boxed set? How much does the dvd weigh and what is the going price of gold?

UPDATE: I just contacted Moto Internationale in Montreal via email asking if they would sell/ship to the US. Thx again.
Aww, schucks, you're going to get me in trouble with the copyright hounds

If I sell you my media, my copy is illegal, and if I give you a copy, then I am a pirate

It would be nice to get a clear answer from BMW about the manuals going online. At least I was able to get one on DVD. As soon as I realized that is all there is for the F800GS, I made sure to get one. Right around the same time, there was a legit 2nd edition on eBay that went for almost the same price as new! Of course with nothing else in print, no Chilton's and no Clymer's, they may just get scarce. BMW needs to realize that there is a market for these manuals, otherwise someone else will fill the void. Hopefully Clymer's will step up. They aren't so bad, at least in my experience.

As for your dealer, you don't have any other choices? It really sounds like they don't want to help you. I was honestly kind of surprised that the parts guy went a little out of his way in my case, but he didn't oppose me or hint at any kind of resistance from BMW at all. They really seem to be DIY friendly at Moto Internationale. They sell tons of tires that are user installed, and I got almost all of my farkles there with absolutely no pressure to use their service dept. for the installation. They are actually pretty well known for their prices on tires, and it is one of the few places that I know where you can get walk-in tire mounting if you remove your wheels yourself and bring them in. Heck, I have heard of riders doing this right in their parking lot and just walking in with the wheels! I even brought in the lock for my Vario top case that I bought on eBay and they adjusted it to my key at no charge (while I was picking up a few other things).

I am not too sure how fast they will answer a general box email, but the sales rep would get back to me very quickly at most within 24hrs. I just had a look and they have a toll-free number: 1-800-871-6686. You may be better off calling them. From the general receptionist ask for BMW parts, and then to speak to Jean-Michel. I am not too sure how good his English is, and he has an accent from France, be he got me what I needed!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
Sierra BMW says mine is coming in May

but they threaten that it's the new version. More money too.

I ordered in Dec i think.

Time will tell if the great teutonic conspiracy continues. Or if they just had some problems keeping their pencils sharp for the update.

Remember it took Clymers about 4 years to release the 1150 manual, and that woulda been an update of the 1100 manual, not a whole new engine.

bobo
Bobo1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
dukedar
60 easy payments!

The Living Proof

Just felt like posting pics! I had to break it out of the fireproof box first...

Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

I just received my F8 repair manual dvd from Sierra BMW.
4th edition. issued 05/2009
Part number is 01 59 7 720 813.

Only runs on Windows 2000/XP/Vista [WHY? Its just a series of pdfs so it should have been easy to make it cross-platform. ]
Also says it requires IE 6.0 or higher. I haven't tried loading it yet, so I don't know if another browser will work.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
I just received my F8 repair manual dvd from Sierra BMW.
4th edition. issued 05/2009
Part number is 01 59 7 720 813.

Only runs on Windows 2000/XP/Vista [WHY? Its just a series of pdfs so it should have been easy to make it cross-platform. ]
Also says it requires IE 6.0 or higher. I haven't tried loading it yet, so I don't know if another browser will work.
4th Edition? Issued 5/2009? Looks like it's still in print to me!

....now only if I didn't hate Windows.....
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote