Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #46
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by herokun
No, It's a proprietary software. No PDF :(

Once you started the software you can pick the model. Then you choose what you want to know (e.g. technical service). Depending on your previous choice, you might be requested to check accessories you have on your bike (e.g. ABS or DWA etc). In the end a Website-like page it displayed with the desired instructions and images.
That's a shame. Sounds like my ETK System parts books for oilheads.

I have copies of the factory manual CDs for R11xx that the dealer was getting rid of when they received new ones. They are in pdf format which is why I asked.
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #47
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 366
The service DVD I ordered last week arrived, I picked it up today (August 1st); it is the fourth edition. Nary a hint of it being "unavailable".

I will now set about figuring out how to make the damn thing useful to me.

BTW, I contacted both Clymer & Haynes asking if they were producing a manual for the GS800. Haynes wrote back saying the bike hadn't reached a critical number sold yet that would make it worthwhile for them to publish, but when it does, they will. A little pressure couldn't hurt.

Clymer has a phone number, so I called, and the nice lady told me she is never told in advance what machines they are preparing manuals for, but that some other GS800 owner had called earlier in the week. I sent them an e-mail just for good measure explainig why this bike would be a good candidate for them to sell a manual for. The more folks they hear from, the more likely they will do it!
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #48
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
It is available. I ordered one today from Sierra BMW, in stock
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #49
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
cd found in the UK !!

Asked my dealer here in the UK but was told they where not doing them anymore but found this, they say that anything on the website is in stock but I can't tell which edition it is will email them

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prod...r_text_image=0
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #50
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
rang them and they said the part no ended in 13 so I think its the 4th edition and they had them in stock, ordered one and will let you know when it arrives
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #51
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Someone please help!

Where did you find it on the BMW Sierra site? I am looking at the one the guy in London linked, may buy that.

My dealer won't sell it to me and says BMW is not letting private parties buy it anymore because people do stuff to the bikes to void the warranty and BMW doesn't want you working on it. This pissed me off and I tried not to get angry at the BMW guys since they don't seem to be able to do anything about it. I just know this DVD is out there and I don't want to be tied to the shop's horrendous service prices.
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #52
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
My dealer won't sell it to me and says BMW is not letting private parties buy it anymore because people do stuff to the bikes to void the warranty and BMW doesn't want you working on it.
They're full of it. Ask to see the official BMW memo that says that. They won't be able to produce it.

Find a better dealer.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition

M N B screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 03:36 PM
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #53
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Dealers

Luckily I live in DFW and there are two BMW motorcycle dealers in the area, I will be hitting up the other dealer to see what they say.

Don't get me wrong, I can't live without this bike, I love it. I was lucky enough to buy the bike used and it did come with an extended warranty. Of course being used I did not feel the full burden of paying for the accessories and extended warranty myself (maybe a little but definitely not 100%). This brings be to my dilemma...

I could save tons of money doing the service myself (I am a mechanical engineer who wrenches on lots of stuff and highly capable) and run the risk of BMW telling me to piss off when I come in for warranty related items because I did not get serviced by them.
OR... I could pay the exorbitant fees for someone to do the same things I enjoy doing at home and wait for the possible warranty issue to pop up (and still run the risk of BMW telling me its my fault).

I may still be hot headed from talking with my dealer today (kinda shocked) so don't get me wrong, I like the guys there and I don't think they are trying to scam me.
EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #54
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Was this the North Dallass dealership or the anal sphincters in North Fort Worth?

Regardless, if a dealership denies a warranty claim, ask them to read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act while you're calling your lawyer. You could end up owning your own headaches, er, uh dealership.
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #55
jconli1
pleasant

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
I could save tons of money doing the service myself (I am a mechanical engineer who wrenches on lots of stuff and highly capable) and run the risk of BMW telling me to piss off when I come in for warranty related items because I did not get serviced by them.
The issue isn't that its serviced by them, but that the service is done and documented. 600 mile running-in service, 3,000 mile oil change, and 6,000 mile Level I services are cruical. Most shops are perfectly fine with you doing them yourself, provided you document it well. What parts did you use, what was the mileage, etc.

Of course, the newer bikes also have a service light reset and fault code check as part of the services - things you can't do at home, unfortunately.

As to the service CDs... if your local dealer is telling you they're not available, chances are its *not* because they're trying to scam you. Neither the current ETK, nor BMW's parts ordering system seems to be auto-superseding to the latest version of the manual... and BMW's parts consulting hotline is also unaware of the new version (they specifically told me the whole "they're no longer available" line last time I inquired). Truth be told, I found out about the latest revision and part number here on ADV.

Every business is different, but keep in mind there are only so many tools available to most parts counter people... the secrets and in-the-know kind of info rises to the top on ADV quite quickly, but dosn't come easy someone relying just on BMW for the answers.

Just my $.02
jconli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #56
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
WTF they'll ship to China or Zimbabwe or any other country but not to the USA or Canada due to insurance considerations. That's a shame because it converts to $85.00 USD which is cheaper than here. I used to buy from motobins but they don't list them any longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERUS
Asked my dealer here in the UK but was told they where not doing them anymore but found this, they say that anything on the website is in stock but I can't tell which edition it is will email them

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prod...r_text_image=0
Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #57
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
I have dealt with Sierra several times and always had good experience.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/

They are still selling it - $109 now, I paid around $85 (as I recall) for my 2nd edition from them sometime in Sept. of last year so prices are rising, but they do seem to be available!

If you have any qustions you can call and talk to Tom Lynn he is the parts manager and a straight shooter in my experience!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #58
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Are wiring diagrams on the repair dvd?

Thanks,

DS
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #59
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I'm willing to part with the Sept 08 DVD: $50 incl US shipping. PM me if you want it.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #60
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
I have a new, 5/2009 edition. It won't play on my antique computer. I will sell it.