User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #31
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Ratio

I think a ratio is a ratio. Small countershaft sprockets tend to wear faster since each tooth sees the chain a little more frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
I got mine from Touratech. They also have a 41, 42 or 47 tooth chainrings available. Hopefully more vendors will have something intermediate, kinda like the 43 available at F800Depot or a 44. 42 to 47's a bit of a stretch.

In other news, does anyone know whether the same drive ration achieved with a 15 or a 16 tooth sprocket will have different torque numbers based purely on the CS or is it the ratio alone that determines the torque change. Not sure if this is clear as written - or just in my head.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #32
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
I have a spreadsheet that was originally downloaded for another bike that I have modified for the F800GS that will show changes in speed/rpm based on sprocket or tire changes.

If interested pm me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Here is a screen print -

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #33
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I have a spreadsheet that was originally downloaded for another bike that I have modified for the F800GS that will show changes in speed/rpm based on sprocket or tire changes.

If interested pm me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Here is a screen print -

Do you have a link to download that?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #34
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,886
If I went with a 15 front and a 47 rear sprocket, do you think I'd need a new chain?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #35
dbOnIce
Under Scooter

Oddometer: 21
17 for me

Bearing the misfortune of urban living has caused me to go to the 17 tooth sprocket.
Traffic flows in the 70 to 80 range much of the time and I am not "OK" with running a 5,000 RPM +, for extended periods.

I'm shifting mental framework anyway ... Trading a Kawi Z-1000 for my new F800GS.
And I still have my R1150RS wich hummmms happy notes at 80 mpg.

Being new to the GS crowd, I have not had any reason (planned or just by accident) to be on fire roads, the Haul road or a Baja sand trail yet. So I may just carry a 15 tooth and a breaker bar with on any substantial trip.

So little time ... so many roads!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #36
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbOnIce
Bearing the misfortune of urban living has caused me to go to the 17 tooth sprocket.
Traffic flows in the 70 to 80 range much of the time and I am not "OK" with running a 5,000 RPM +, for extended periods.

I'm shifting mental framework anyway ... Trading a Kawi Z-1000 for my new F800GS.
And I still have my R1150RS wich hummmms happy notes at 80 mpg.

Being new to the GS crowd, I have not had any reason (planned or just by accident) to be on fire roads, the Haul road or a Baja sand trail yet. So I may just carry a 15 tooth and a breaker bar with on any substantial trip.

So little time ... so many roads!
You mean 80 mph, right?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #37
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
Do you have a link to download that?
No.

I downloaded it years ago from TriumphRat.net for a Thunderbird Sport.

You may be able to find the original on there with a search, but I did this probably 5 years ago and do not know if it is still there or not.

Also sent you a pm.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #38
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Riding dirt it seems 1st is a bit snatchy with the 800 throttle. Wondering if a 15 is the ticket to make 2nd low enough for all occasions. Or wound going to a 17 make 1st useable in some situations?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #39
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Riding dirt it seems 1st is a bit snatchy with the 800 throttle. Wondering if a 15 is the ticket to make 2nd low enough for all occasions. Or wound going to a 17 make 1st useable in some situations?
If your main concern is the snatchy throttle either way could fix the issue. I suppose if you only do mild dirt the higher gearing would make first less responsive and give you less vibes on the highway to. But that could really screw you if you find yourself in technical offroad with all your gears feeling way to high.

Since opinion on this varies as much as peoples riding style, I think a simple test is do you ever ride in the dirt an get in situations where first feels to high? If not then maybe you'd be o.k. with higher gearing. Many here get into issues where they had to smoke the clutch in first, an even with the 15 tooth I still get into stuff sometimes where I have to slip the clutch more than I think I should.

The nice thing is changing sprockets is cheap an easy, so it's not like you have to make a big commitment. After riding with the 15 for a while now I'm convinced it's better gearing for me, even though I don't like what it did at higher speeds. If I were to ever do a multiday road ride I'd switch it back to stock.....but I didn't buy this bike to stay on the pavement

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #40
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
If I went with a 15 front and a 47 rear sprocket, do you think I'd need a new chain?
I'm totally guessing here, but I do have a ton of room for adjustment in that direction, but I'd bet you move the axle enough to feel a difference in handling. Only one way to find out

Are you really thinking about going that low? (not sure if you were being tongue in cheek on that question?) If you're serious I'm curious on why you might choose a 47 (with the 15).

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #41
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I'm totally guessing here, but I do have a ton of room for adjustment in that direction, but I'd bet you move the axle enough to feel a difference in handling. Only one way to find out

Are you really thinking about going that low? (not sure if you were being tongue in cheek on that question?) If you're serious I'm curious on why you might choose a 47 (with the 15).
Well, if I believe what I read, "Compared to the original 16 teeth front and 42 teeth rear, combined 15T front plus 47T rear results in an approx. 10% reduction in speed and 10% increase in torque."
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
dbOnIce
Under Scooter

Oddometer: 21
Laugh Doh!

Uh yea, mph

If I am planing a dirt ride I have a KLR with Knobbies, which is still gianormous compared to the 250's I used to yang the hills with (way back when...).
I just got stuck in the ... more's better loop.

And just to kick a dead horse ... again, where you are and how you like to ride is a big part of setting up the bike "just right".

By the way,
What is the torque spec on that drive sprocket?
I found mine pretty tight and retightened my new instalation to about 65 Kn.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #43
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Well, if I believe what I read, "Compared to the original 16 teeth front and 42 teeth rear, combined 15T front plus 47T rear results in an approx. 10% reduction in speed and 10% increase in torque."
You are going from a final drive ratio of 2.625 to a final drive ratio of 3.133.

That is going to be closer to a 20% reduction in speed. So many factors go into torque I do not know how to calculate it but I would bet it is not a linear measurement and I would be very surprised if you got the same increase in torque that you get for a reduction in speed.

Now, maybe your 10% increase in torque is correct and you are swapping 20% of your speed for a 10% increase in torque but I would be surprised if it is even that much.

Of course, real torque and percieved torque are never the same and maybe perceived torque is all you need.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #44
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
I dropped to a 15 tooth c/s a couple of weeks ago and am really liking the change overall. I'm surprised the bike didn't come this way from the factory. The 'slightly' higher RPM aren't noticeable at the speeds I typically travel at (90-100kph) but the ease of control at low speed is really improved. I had thought it may become even more snatchy, but ironically it has been the opposite. I can only assume because there is less movement of the wheels per throttle degree now. Whatever the reason, I like it. Fuel economy had not suffered in my case either.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #45
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
I dropped to a 15 tooth c/s a couple of weeks ago and am really liking the change overall. I'm surprised the bike didn't come this way from the factory. The 'slightly' higher RPM aren't noticeable at the speeds I typically travel at (90-100kph) but the ease of control at low speed is really improved. I had thought it may become even more snatchy, but ironically it has been the opposite. I can only assume because there is less movement of the wheels per throttle degree now. Whatever the reason, I like it. Fuel economy had not suffered in my case either.
been thinking about making thus change. Looked over the numbers... Will post them layer. It's not a 20% drop in top speed.